User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 19
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    philippines
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Strange about strings and colors

    Hello BCers,

    I don't know if you've experienced something or anything like this. I always use the Yonex BG80(BLUE) every time I have to restring my racket.But when stocks of BG80(BLUE) is unavailable, I choose the NEON colored BG80 string which is the only alternative color we usually have here. Well, sometimes PURPLE ones are available. Anyhow, that's not the point. The point is it feels different. Strung on the same racket, same stringing technique, same stringer, same machine and most of all same string tension. I've experienced this more or less 5 times already. Is it somewhat psychological or something?

    Nipoy

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe the stringer is inconsisitant?!?!?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    it might be psychological, but i actually think the same.

    that is why i only buy BG85 blue

    lol, i dunno...i'm quite sure it is psychological but whatever works right?

    if with the Blue color string you can play better regardless if it is due to the string's properties or your mental confidence than go with it!

  4. #4
    Regular Member Sgbad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chowzer View Post
    it might be psychological, but i actually think the same.

    that is why i only buy BG85 blue

    lol, i dunno...i'm quite sure it is psychological but whatever works right?

    if with the Blue color string you can play better regardless if it is due to the string's properties or your mental confidence than go with it!
    Yes, i agree, imo, i feel that it is psychological. I hate darker colour strings, always have the impression that they willl lose tension fast, especially blue. the shuttlecock will usually leave "patches" of white on my stringbed when i use blue, which i really hate.
    psychologically, i feel that white, yellow, platinium gold are the more powerful and tension holding strings. Its just my thing though.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Different dyes make the strings feel a bit different.... But psychologically makes a bigger difference.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    this thing about string color is probably what ppl mean by pet peeves

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    philippines
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the replies, Athelete1234 may have a point there. Well, in any case may it be a psychological factor or material factor, I think I'll just have to stick with the color where it feels right. Psychological or not, neon may not be for me. THANKS

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Colour often makes a difference. To me, it is noticeable for tension holding, sometimes texture and often, durability.

    I've experienced this with Gosen Pro66 and Yonex BG66, BG65, BG80, BG85.
    Someone else, I believe it was VinningWolf (sp?) posted his experience with the durability issue with a batch of Pro 66 or Pro 70.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canada, BC, GVA
    Posts
    952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I got 2 Arc10 strung with BG80@21lbs with different colour, one with Neon and another with Purple. To me, I don't see a difference in performance, but the sound of contact of the string does seems different. Neon one has "pong", and purple one got this "bing".

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcestershire, UK
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The easy way around this problem is as follows:



  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Strathmore Alberta
    Posts
    847
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah I've noticed that the darker colored strings tend to break faster, certianly in the Gosen strings and I'd seen the same issue with some other brands (Kennex/Black Knight)

    It been a few years since I was in the field of polymers and plastics to get in specifics with the new polymers, but I do know that dyes can react and chemically change sythetics.

    My opinion is that the darker the string, the more likely it is to be brittle, the worst being black strings. I've never had a set of black strings last very long (same with the dark purple or silver).

    So based on seeing a difference in playing life of a strings with various colors, I'd suggest that the properties of the string would be different for darker colored string than lighter. This holds especially true to strings that are dark dyed all they way through ( many strings have only the outside layer dyed a color)

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ViningWolff View Post
    Yeah I've noticed that the darker colored strings tend to break faster, certianly in the Gosen strings and I'd seen the same issue with some other brands (Kennex/Black Knight)

    It been a few years since I was in the field of polymers and plastics to get in specifics with the new polymers, but I do know that dyes can react and chemically change sythetics.

    My opinion is that the darker the string, the more likely it is to be brittle, the worst being black strings. I've never had a set of black strings last very long (same with the dark purple or silver).

    So based on seeing a difference in playing life of a strings with various colors, I'd suggest that the properties of the string would be different for darker colored string than lighter. This holds especially true to strings that are dark dyed all they way through ( many strings have only the outside layer dyed a color)
    i learned long long long time ago from my mother.
    When i graduated from toilet training, she said, cooler, don't buy colored toilet papers, they are no good

    from then on.... cooler always remember that

  13. #13
    Regular Member jhirata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand, New Z
    Posts
    2,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemcat View Post
    I got 2 Arc10 strung with BG80@21lbs with different colour, one with Neon and another with Purple. To me, I don't see a difference in performance, but the sound of contact of the string does seems different. Neon one has "pong", and purple one got this "bing".
    You have the neon strings as the mains and the purples strings as the crosses, am I correct ? because the crosses would have been tensionned 10% tighter than the mains.. so the sound would be different.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canada, BC, GVA
    Posts
    952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhirata View Post
    You have the neon strings as the mains and the purples strings as the crosses, am I correct ? because the crosses would have been tensionned 10% tighter than the mains.. so the sound would be different.
    No no... I have 2 Arcsaber 10 racquets. One was strung with Neon string and the other one was strung with Purple string. Same tension, same performance, but different contact sound. I don't string the same racquet with 2 colours.

  15. #15
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,332
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, the argument about dyes should equally work against 'white' strings as.
    That too is a colour... and is applied exactly as black (or other colours) are.

    If the dye is corrosive, it should equally affect strings of any colour

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Well, the argument about dyes should equally work against 'white' strings as.
    That too is a colour... and is applied exactly as black (or other colours) are.

    If the dye is corrosive, it should equally affect strings of any colour
    I agree. All non-natural strings are made from plastics, mainly nylon, and all of them come from oil. Both your tootbrush and your white BG80 come from oil but they made them look white for a very good reason-to sell and to provide a choice in colors.

  17. #17
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,332
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    To me, what's curious is that my white and yellow strings are the first to snap.
    The black strings appear to be a lot healthier

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Yonex Strings Available colors..
    By Reiko in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 42
    : 07-02-2013, 09:05 AM
  2. BG66 colors
    By singnflip4life in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 12
    : 11-24-2009, 08:49 PM
  3. any way i can string two colors on one racket?
    By needti10 in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 8
    : 05-01-2006, 09:53 AM
  4. Colors Of Yonex B-8500?
    By red00ecstrat in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 0
    : 09-23-2003, 08:39 PM
  5. New Colors
    By H.Y. in forum Market Place
    Replies: 0
    : 12-19-2001, 05:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •