Strange about strings and colors

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by nipoy, Nov 10, 2008.

1. nipoy

nipoy Regular Member

college student
    Hello BCers,

I don't know if you've experienced something or anything like this. I always use the Yonex BG80(BLUE) every time I have to restring my racket.But when stocks of BG80(BLUE) is unavailable, I choose the NEON colored BG80 string which is the only alternative color we usually have here. Well, sometimes PURPLE ones are available. Anyhow, that's not the point. The point is it feels different. Strung on the same racket, same stringing technique, same stringer, same machine and most of all same string tension. I've experienced this more or less 5 times already. Is it somewhat psychological or something?

Nipoy

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Maybe the stringer is inconsisitant?!?!?

3. chowzer

chowzer Regular Member

it might be psychological, but i actually think the same.

that is why i only buy BG85 blue

lol, i dunno...i'm quite sure it is psychological but whatever works right?

if with the Blue color string you can play better regardless if it is due to the string's properties or your mental confidence than go with it!

4. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Yes, i agree, imo, i feel that it is psychological. I hate darker colour strings, always have the impression that they willl lose tension fast, especially blue. the shuttlecock will usually leave "patches" of white on my stringbed when i use blue, which i really hate.
    psychologically, i feel that white, yellow, platinium gold are the more powerful and tension holding strings. Its just my thing though.:D

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Different dyes make the strings feel a bit different.... But psychologically makes a bigger difference.

6. chowzer

chowzer Regular Member

this thing about string color is probably what ppl mean by pet peeves

7. nipoy

nipoy Regular Member

college student
    Thanks for the replies, Athelete1234 may have a point there. Well, in any case may it be a psychological factor or material factor, I think I'll just have to stick with the color where it feels right. Psychological or not, neon may not be for me. THANKS

8. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Colour often makes a difference. To me, it is noticeable for tension holding, sometimes texture and often, durability.

I've experienced this with Gosen Pro66 and Yonex BG66, BG65, BG80, BG85.
    Someone else, I believe it was VinningWolf (sp?) posted his experience with the durability issue with a batch of Pro 66 or Pro 70.

9. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I got 2 Arc10 strung with BG80@21lbs with different colour, one with Neon and another with Purple. To me, I don't see a difference in performance, but the sound of contact of the string does seems different. Neon one has "pong", and purple one got this "bing".

10. Retro_10s

Retro_10s Regular Member

The easy way around this problem is as follows:
    [​IMG]

:D ;)

11. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Yeah I've noticed that the darker colored strings tend to break faster, certianly in the Gosen strings and I'd seen the same issue with some other brands (Kennex/Black Knight)

It been a few years since I was in the field of polymers and plastics to get in specifics with the new polymers, but I do know that dyes can react and chemically change sythetics.

My opinion is that the darker the string, the more likely it is to be brittle, the worst being black strings. I've never had a set of black strings last very long (same with the dark purple or silver).

So based on seeing a difference in playing life of a strings with various colors, I'd suggest that the properties of the string would be different for darker colored string than lighter. This holds especially true to strings that are dark dyed all they way through ( many strings have only the outside layer dyed a color)

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i learned long long long time ago from my mother.
    When i graduated from toilet training, she said, cooler, don't buy colored toilet papers, they are no good:)

from then on.... cooler always remember that:D:cool:

13. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

You have the neon strings as the mains and the purples strings as the crosses, am I correct ? because the crosses would have been tensionned 10% tighter than the mains.. so the sound would be different.

14. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    No no... I have 2 Arcsaber 10 racquets. One was strung with Neon string and the other one was strung with Purple string. Same tension, same performance, but different contact sound. I don't string the same racquet with 2 colours.;)

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Well, the argument about dyes should equally work against 'white' strings as.
    That too is a colour... and is applied exactly as black (or other colours) are.

If the dye is corrosive, it should equally affect strings of any colour ;)

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I agree. All non-natural strings are made from plastics, mainly nylon, and all of them come from oil. Both your tootbrush and your white BG80 come from oil but they made them look white for a very good reason-to sell and to provide a choice in colors.

17. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    To me, what's curious is that my white and yellow strings are the first to snap.
    The black strings appear to be a lot healthier :p

18. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

How about the Ashaway MicroLegend.... ?! It's got white, red and green.. and maybe blue in one strand of string..

19. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    I find that I feel better if the string color works well with the frame color. you know, so nothing clashes. Otherwise, I go to the net to make a drop-shot and I'm distracted by how ugly my racket looks, and then I start wondering if the girl i'm playing with thinks it's ugly too, and usually by now i've completely messed up my shot. On the otherhand, maybe your opponent will be distracted too!!!