Broken Grommets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mentholatum132, Nov 10, 2008.

1. mentholatum132

mentholatum132 Regular Member

I clashed my racket with someone at practice today and 2 of my grommets broke.. :mad:
    I am wondering if I can still play with the racket since playoffs are in 4 days.....

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Do you have picture you can provide to us?

To be safe, have the racket re-stringed and have the grommets replaced. This is because the grommets no longer protect the string, so if the strings comes contact with a sharp area (where a grommet would be there for protection) hard enough, the string will get cut and will snap.

3. mentholatum132

mentholatum132 Regular Member

sorry, i don't have a picture becuase i'm actually helping my friend askXD
    but i suppose it's fine to play...with it for now and get it restrung after playoffs?

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Well its probably in best interests to have it done now because one would not want to have a racket string snap during the playoffs if it does come into contact.

5. chowzer

chowzer Regular Member

forget about the effect of frame on string. think about the effect of string on frame.

w/o a picture, it is hard to tell. but from what you are describing, it sounds liek the grommets are no longer between string and frame. when you hit, the strings shift therefore acting like a saw on the frame.

dont need to tell you how that will be bad for the racket

therefore, i agree with Matt and suggest a prompt restringing with grommet replacement. i'm quite sure if you have it done at Tad's they dun even charge you for the new grommets

6. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I have a racket which was just strung when I was on leave in Dec 08. I played during my off days and the string broke after only about 2 weeks plus, despite playing less during my off days. When I brought my racket for restringing, I was told that all my grommets all need replacing. They look like broken and burst pieces of plastic eyelets now. I think it is time to replace.

Apart from the fact that my strings are less protected by the sharp edges of the holes, what harm will it cause to the racket integrity?