how do you guys like OCBC?

Discussion in 'Orange County Badminton Club ( OCBC )' started by karenworn, Nov 10, 2008.

1. karenworn

karenworn Regular Member

import/export
    Hi, can someone give me some advise about OCBC? I just want to play badminton for fun since that is the only sport i have played when i was young, is OCBC the right place for me to join?

2. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    OCBC is probably the best place to play in SoCal, Air Conditioned GYM!
    Drop-in is a bit expensive, you can check out the price at the website.
    If you have unlimited budget for badminton, OCBC is the place to play.
    I'd come by and join you, but I won't be back till next week.:D

3. karenworn

karenworn Regular Member

import/export
    Thank you for your reply. Is it easy to find someone to play with me as beginner level? As you said, it is a quite expensive to drop in ( $200 application fee and $80/month), I kind of want to make sure if that’s the right thing to do. how often do you play there?

4. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Still looking for place to play?
    Message me if u still need a partner to play with.

U can try Bolsa Grande HS, there is a community center there for badminton. Open evenings, not sure which days or hours.

5. bestco

bestco Regular Member

Definately too expensive, that's like 3 times as much as the monthly membership fee at your local workout gym. I think part of the reason is that they are the only badminton club in OC, lack of competition really drives the price up. If you have the money to spend good for you, but I just can't afford it.

6. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Why yes their fees are high. Are you telling us you have an "unlimited budget for badminton?" :eek:

7. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    I hate OCBC, everything cost so much in there. It is so called HIGH CLASS badminton place. you gotta BUY THEIR BIRDS, other birds are not allowed to be in their gym?
    wowwwww. And their bird is like 30 bucks a tube. If you live around LA, go San Gabriel Valley Badminton Club, sgvbc. 8 bucks for a daily fee, member ship i forgot, but not expensive like ocbc dont worry. But one thing i hate about that place is there are some azz H customer services. Gave me attitude when he restring my racquet, which he said 1 hour. 1 hour and 15 min later i came in he didn't even half way finished, he was just held the racquet and talked to the girl. And said oh 15 min. So i showed up 30 min later he still not even finished, and even tried to thread me "you want me to break this racquet because of your unpatience?" I was like lol i gave you 1 hour and 30 min. and you didn't even finished the job and now turn around and accusing me of rushing you? Oh wow. That is one of the reason i stopped going there. I hate bad customer service.
    And to Viper2005, Bolsa Grande HS has the recreation for badminton, for 3 bucks, yes cheap. But problem is over crowed. I showed up 15 min. late, and waited 30 min. to get to my turn to play, warm up for 1 min. and get complained. Then had to start playing already. But i guess if u're desperate for badminton sure why not.
    But for me, one time i played there, it was my first time, and the only (worse only one match). First, my partner and I was winning, until the damn guy just started to bend my bird. Yea sure u're allow to bend the bird tip to sudden extent only, not all the way to ruin the bird fly. That just ticked me off and i let go of the game and went to Sgvbc.
    Now to think of it if that was a tournament can you actually do that?
    You can't return of ur opponent smash, and then bend the bird to the point you can't really smash the damn thing. Because it was too wide so it just all suddenly slow down when itz pass the net a little?
    Wouldn't the referee says something? please reply thank you
    Oh and if anyone know where else to play in South Cali. Please let me know, somewhere is not over crowed please. I live near Bolsa Grande HS. thank you

8. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    And i do apologize if i broke the rule for saying the bad words.

9. Vtec101

Vtec101 Regular Member

Printing
    You HATE OCBC just because it's expensive? lol. While that's true, it is a private club so having to use their bird or any Yonex is not that bad of a policy. You don't have to buy the birds there as long as you use Yonex. And the birds are $25 a tube. Also, it's nice not to have to wait for a court to play on. :D

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Without doubt, the playing facilities at OCBC are on par with those anywhere.

People in other parts of the world would kill to play exclusively on artifical tournament surfaces. Most 'social' courts in other countries (unless they are home to a national squad or the like) have laminated wooden surfaces or worse.

Yes, it would help if the shuttles came cheaper but then Anaheim is not exactly where they make these things.

11. Shirayasha

Shirayasha New Member

Student at Wilson
    hey do u think ocbc is going to be crowded this summer?

12. Vtec101

Vtec101 Regular Member

Printing
    The busiest days are Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Those are the days you may have to wait for an open court. The rest of the week is usually not crowded at all. I don't think it's gong to change too much during summer.

13. Shirayasha

Shirayasha New Member

Student at Wilson
    i love ocbc how there is usually open courts, and you dont have to wait an hour to get a court =p