Do guys improve faster than girls?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by CkcJsm, Nov 10, 2008.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Do guys improve faster then girls?
    Since, some girls played a lot longer than some guys. And some practices consistently. But, then for some reason some guys began to beat girls.
    I was wondering this. Seen it happen, happened to me before.

2. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Generally yes.

But not always, some girls are alot fitter than some guys and can move super fast..

Even if you look at Lin Dan and XXF, you can tell a big difference in speed.

3. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Hmmmm. Sounds like this could turn out to be a battle of the sexes. I'll keep my mouth shut.
    (Venkatesh whispering ... my answer is yes. no more explanation. sssshhhhhh ...)

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

All other things being equal, no. But teenage boys do go through a phase where they improve much faster than the girls, because they are putting on muscle.

Men are physically stronger than women (again, all other things being equal). Consequently, men outperform women in almost all athletic sports (a notable exception is free diving). In badminton, their greater strength allows men to hit harder smashes and move around the court faster.

But that doesn't mean men improve faster than women. :p

5. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    It depends on the definition of "improve". You use "improve" when referring to when boys are putting on muscle; but men are able to put on muscle faster than women, so they do "improve" faster.

If we say "improve" instead refers to increase in badminton "skill", regardless of muscle mass (for the same level of "skill", men will play better than women, due to physical attributes). Then it can still be argued that men will "improve" faster than women because men can practice a few more days per month, based on a different biological phenomenon (menstruation).:p

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's true, although this would not make much difference unless the man was undergoing muscle-building exercises apart from badminton, or was a complete beginner and hence had muscles unused to badminton.

Anyway, my point was that it's important to separate rate of improvement from overall playing strength. Beyond the early teens, it's not fair to compare women's playing strength to men's (although Gao Ling would still thrash me, playing left-handed with a frying pan while balancing a bucket of water on her head :D).

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Take strength out of the equation. If we base it on technique then there is not any difference between the sexes in terms of speed of improvement.

8. kimir

kimir Regular Member

my two cents is that it all comes down to "attitude". for example, you may have the best coach in the world but if you do not follow your coach's instructions, you will hardly improve.

9. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Within my group of amateur players, some of the ladies have gone for coaching and a few of them has been playing for a few years, however, they can't seem to get their basics correctly.

Most of them have issues with grip, they are not able to switch from forehand to backhand grip during play. Alot of have issues with foot work, not being able to move fast, more like slow jog movement.

Some of the guys have not improved alot also, but because they have greater physical strength, and once they play long enough and get the timing right, they can hit harder and also more accurate, so I guess in one sense, their strength amplify the little improvement they made as compared to the ladies.

10. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

I'm going to rebump this topic.
    For me I am female. I train consistently and try to listen to my coach. But I've play and practice longer then some of my guy friends. But then, they still seem to beat me and improve faster(when season starts). There was this one guy, he went to training with me and when he started training he was below my level. But after a few months, we are now even(I win sometimes, he wins sometimes). I'm happy for him, but I am mad at myself. I try hard, but he still can beat me after playing significantly less then I do? He definitely runs faster then I do and sprints faster(ie. he is a guy.)

11. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Him running faster than you doesn't means he's better than you. He probably continuously plays more than you and with better people. I mean, it's not wrong to play with weaker people or people around your level as long as you guys are always striving to get better so you can beat each other. If one person levels up, then the others should try harder to get to that same level or better, etc. It's probably how he trains, you guys are probably doing the same thing but he probably has different goals in mind when practicing.

12. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Does the boy have better reflex, explosive power, and/or coordination? Does he pick up other sports faster?

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Training time length is one of many factors. How to train effectively (training quality) should be even more important. Same effectiveness can also applied to actual competition situation.

Many club level lady players tend to over power and over run in lower level of playing. However, if they still keep the same playing style against faster, stronger and more skillful players (mostly male), then they find out their "strength" suddenly becomes the weakest link.

Analyze your game, analyze your training in a reasonable way. Simply draw a conclusion because how many training session both ppl attend, or a few games, it's usually not accurate.

14. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    What matters are the 3 keys

Whether you're a guy or a girl, what matters are the 3 keys to improvement:
    1. always being open to learning new techniques
    2. practicing those new techniques until one has mastered them
    3. getting in better shape

Whether you're male or female, unless you're a retired world-champion, you'll definitely stagnate if you're too closed minded as to never bothering to learn new things that can improve your game.

15. trancemode

trancemode Regular Member

perfect practice makes perfect :D

16. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

yes, it may have to do with physical features (as men are generally bigger yet faster due to more muscles).

But generally it's more about psychology, guys (kids or adults), refuse to loose to girls, studies have show that when you put groups of kids running together, if it's all guys they run @ normal speed. if throw in some girls, they run like their life depends on it. We see these studies alot on social science, in most cases gender do make a big difference in outcome.

17. Mr M Cross

Mr M Cross Regular Member

Student
    Men have faster reaction time than women.
    Male lives are more based around sport than females

Just depends on how quickly you learn the technique, skill is genetic, some people are born with it.

18. Phusion

Phusion New Member

Yeah I think it's about psychology as well. If it's one thing guys hate it's losing to girls and we'll be damned if we do. I'm a guy who picked up badminton recently and play with a girl once a week. We started around the same time (she started a week before me). She plays 3-5 times a week and is improving a lot but she will never win. Last time we played she mentioned that she noticed she had improved a lot but still can't come close to winning and found it odd. She is now thinking that I practice secretly but I don't. I just fight like hell and refuse to lose. She doesn't. I think she even goes into the game thinking she'll lose again.

Edit: We're both former sports junkies but are now very unfit after 8 years of no physical activity other than walking to things.

#18 Phusion, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009