Mixed doubles technique/problem

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by grhm2356, Nov 11, 2008.

1. grhm2356

grhm2356 Regular Member

Hello allmighty players,

This is my first post in this forum, so I appologise if I make some mistake ;)
    I've been playing in a small tournament and I've been having some difficulties in one aspect of the game.
    In the mixed doubles matches, me and my partner play in a front/back scheme. Whenever we play against a pair that plays side by side, we have too much difficulties. I have to play too many backhands, mostly because my partner's mobility is a bit limited, and to compensate that fact I get unprotected.

So: is there any special kind of play that may help in a front/back scheme against a side by side scheme?
    Playing with her side by side is not an option :(

Thanks in advance,
    Dante

2. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    In doubles, the two players should be shifting between front/back (while attacking) and side/side (while defending). In mixed doubles the male player is usually expected to take the back position when attacking, due to their stronger smash.

If side/side is not an option (due to her limited mobility?), then the only thing is for you to become better and faster. You will want to use footwork to hit less backhands, and to put more pressure on the opponents with smashes/drops.

However, doubles is still a partnership, and she also needs to improve. Whether it's better footwork for increased mobility, or learning the ability to play side/side.

3. grhm2356

grhm2356 Regular Member

Can someone please DELETE this thread? I created another in the correct forum.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

4. grhm2356

grhm2356 Regular Member

Thanks for the answer.

I have some mobility, I'm covering almost everything except the front of the net. But if someone puts a shot in the middle right and then a very deep to the backhand, I get caught into the backhand.

But the opposition playing like a normal double pair makes it difficult because if I'm smashing they defend side by side, which is ok, but for me that doesn't happen, I have to defend while in the back :s

Yep, it is all related to lack of mobility from my partner, I believe. If she steps back into a side by side situation, all the shots will go to her making her move. I can compensate some times, but then I get off guard on my side.

Maybe there is nothing to do! :)