mp99 in the usa

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by plaYer, Jul 12, 2002.

1. plaYer

plaYer Regular Member

Hi everyone, i've been seeing some posts on the mp 90 threads with people asking where to get the mp 90s and mp 99s. I'm in Manhattan, NY and today i just ordered an mp 99 (which apprently is yonex japan's export designation for the mp 90) from sportsnet int.

I didn't ask if he ships to canada and stuff but he uses UPS so i don't see why not. My mp 90 came to $189 US with stringing with bg88ti. He also has free shipping for orders over $100 but i dont know if that'll apply to foreign orders.

This is not an ad or anything. I've used this place before to get BG 88ti and CyberNatural 100 string before any other place in the usa stocked them. Being in New York, it's hard to find places that carry these things. I know badmintonalley has a bunch of yonex stuff for example, but it's not up on it's website. Anyway, the sportsnet site is at:

http://members.aol.com/jumpsmash/jumps.htm

hope this helps people. I'm looking forward to the mp 99 for sure :D

2. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    So is your racquet a MP99 or MP90?
    If it is MP99, then is it a SP version or an US version?

3. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    I believe his is MP99, US version. :)

4. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Why buy from U.S.?

It is never a good deal price wise to order racquets from the States. Taxes, customs, and shipping fees. In BC and Ontario we have plenty of badminton gear with great prices. We get the newest YY products much earlier then U.S. With lots of connections with Asian suppliers we get the stuff much cheaper and sooner. I understand that badminton supplies are rare in parts of the country. Those are pretty good prices but I believe they are US versions and SP's.

5. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Re: Why buy from U.S.?

I totally agree with Chu Pa. Well maybe it is different in my case because I won my racquet on Ebay...hehe.....The racquet costs 96US!!!....pretty cheap.
    But the shipping was $10US. When the racquet was delivered to my house by tge UPS guy, he charged me an extra $50CDN!!!....because of customs and all those other wierd taxes!!!.....:mad:

6. Mr.Hoot

Mr.Hoot Regular Member

LOL For a MP 90 that cost you $144 (Which is a pretty damn good deal) It ended up costing you $204.

That is not cool at all. I would have yelled a lot at the UPS guy but that is all you can basically do cause it isn't his fault that customs are being really stingy on bigger orders.

But good job on getting that racquet. It is still cheaper than buying it retail in a store so no worries right??

7. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Mr. Hoot.... I think zero is talking about his TH swingpower SR... and not MP-90 :p

Yes... ebay is cheaper then retail in the United states... (They sell Th/SP versions? I think...) ...

8. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Ebay

Isn't the seller on Ebay based out in Toronto? If so, why is he charging you duties? In fact, there shouldn't be any duties on badminton racquets but you will have to pay the GST and the PST.

Zero, using your example and assuming that the seller is in the States, then at US$96.00, you will have to pay GST and PST on value of CAD$147 which for Ontario comes to CAD$22.05

If Canada Customs charges you duties on the racquet, you should be able to get a refund back as there should not be any duties on the importation of the racquet.

9. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Re: Ebay

I think I know why zero was charged $50 instead of $22.05. USP charges something called brokerage service. Basically they pay Canadian customs GST/PST in advance to clear the item, and we re-pay UPS for that money. So the brokerage fee is for customs clearing and the pre-paid taxes. The fee is something more than $20 ... I don't remember the exact number.

If the item had been sent by USPS (US postal service), it'd have been delivered by CanadaPost and zero would have paid only $22.05 for GST/PST plus $5 customs fees. I used to order lots of things from the US and always insisted on the items being sent be UPPS, not UPS.

#9 Tammy, Jul 14, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2002
  10. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Re: Re: Ebay

Well said Tammy. You are totally right about everything, it's "Brokerage Fee" that charged me the extra money.....
    I hate UPS!!...:mad:
    But that was my first time ever ordering from the US...hehe....:p