Choosing Shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Swingbadabada, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    Right i always have nike or adidas shoes for badminton and tbh they offer me no support :/ so... i would like some ideas for shoes (internet buying will be an option). I have looked at the ASICS Gel Rocket and they look quite good. But thn i seen dinkalots review and they looked crappy.
    Budget - would preferably would like to be below 50-55 £

Any suggestions would be nice:cool::D

2. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Shoes are very personal so it is best if you can try it on yourself. I personally use Mizuno but have fellow baddies who like their Asics and Yonex.

Go to a shop to try something. You most likely end up paying more than from an online shop but at least you will have good first hand experience with what you are buying. If you find something that fits well (most important), give you sufficient cushion and traction, they will likely be much better than Nike or Adidas.

There are other brands like Hi-Tec, Victor, apacs etc. I have read recommendations for Victor and Hi-Tec on the forum (do a search) but have not personally experienced them.

3. kimir

kimir Regular Member

imho the gel rocket offers good grip and excellent cushioning.

would also suggest the ashaway amps301 if you are based in england:
    http://www.ashaway.co.uk/index.php?category=17&page=detail&pid=34

4. mtr1993

mtr1993 Regular Member

school
  5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

Weeyeh has an excellent point. you need to find a good shoe for you. the re are many factors that affect the shoes performance, such as stiffness, comfort, weight. find one that fits you best.

And get the proper size.

6. .Vince

.Vince Regular Member

Make sure you know what kind of inside sole there is too ;)

7. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    The Ashaway AMPS 301 is really value for money, in Singapore you can get it for S$39. I love the fit, it is snug (not tight) and there's a curve in the design that's quite ergonomic.

However, the shoe does not grip very well and my pair is now breaking apart, could be that this is old stock that I bought.

I just bought a Mizuno Wave Smash SG, there's 40% discount at WOS and the grip is fantastic, however, it is very tight fitting, I hope it will loosen up more as I use it.

8. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Hehe... I was in WOS just yesterday and checked out the Wave Smash SG too (SGD154 right?). Put it back without trying because my current shoes (also Mizuno) are holding up strong. No reason to get new shoes. :(.

Good thing WOS runs these member's 40% off every so often so I'll wait till the current shoes shows some signs of wear or if the sole hardens up.

9. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    List price is $149 so after the 40% discount, it is $89.40.

Which Mizuno model are you using ? Do you feel that they are quite tight at the front ?

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I have 2 wave gates ('03 & '06) models. I was attracted to their mesh sides for ventilation. The '06 model (bought in July '07) is still going strong. I have relegated the '03 model for dirtier court and other court purposes (like squash). I thought the '03 was biting the dust earlier this year but it's still going strong.

My feet are quite wide so they did feel kinda tight initially but mine's a really good fit since. You might need to loosen the front laces in your first few wear but do tighten the upper laces to keep the stability. All Mizuno badminton shoes seems to use the same material in the toe box so I'm quite sure it will expand after a while.

Enjoy the shoe and let me know how the intercool thingy works. My hopes of getting new shoes this year is dashed when my wife just gave me that look. The 2nd thing holding me back is the wave smash's ventilation.

11. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I was looking at getting Mizuno models that uses mesh instead of full leather like the Wave Smash, 1st for ventilation and 2nd for flexibility. The Wave Smash definitely stiffer compared to my other badminton shoes (Ashaway and NB) so I hope the leather upper soften and widen a bit.

The ventilation hole on the sole seems to work as normally my feet sweat a lot, I will need to use it again and feedback, so far only use it for 1 hour.

12. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

WOW - that's cheap! Where did you get it from, Queensway? wished I went there during my trip back to SE Asia now!:crying:

13. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    Got some HI-QUA shoes from the yehlex shop :) quite nice i tried them on so...
    Thanks anyways guys