Warming up

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Koolsan, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Koolsan

Koolsan Regular Member

Company director
    hello , what is your warm up routine before starting a match ? Does it allow you do start at full speed rightaway? My problem is that I never get fully warmed up before a game . Are there specific things I should do ??? Thanks for helping me .

2. youngman

youngman Regular Member

Product Manager (Core Networks)
    I normally do static stretching for about 20 minutes. Routines:
    http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/flexibility.html

Then I take a brisk 10 minute walk to the badminton hall. One round of stretching again ( 30 seconds for each routine once). Some strokes eventually working up to clearing end to end.

3. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    always make sure you are warmed up off court so that your muscles are warm so do some basic stuff some jogging back and forth on the spot some of the fast feet excercises but not at full speed just to warm you up etc. then when you get on court for your oncourt warm up before the game do some clears, drops, smashes, drives, nets, etc. that basics to further warm yourself up. and then after your match make sure that you strech and cool down.

thats what i do for my warm up before matches, and i find it allows me to start at almost full speed it will take a few points to work into the rythem and all that but yeah.

4. Koolsan

Koolsan Regular Member

Company director
    Thanks , you guys are right . I guess the problem is that I'm too eager to get on court and start playing . I'll have to rectify this attitude .

5. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i wouldn't do static stretching. dynamic stretching might be better. static stretching can actually make you more prone to injury.

you don't have to do anything fancy. i just skip rope for a few minutes to get my body warm and heart going, then go on the court for a hit. if court time is limited, practise some one step footwork in a secluded place and save the court time for shot practice.

#5 Shifty, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I don't believe the evidence supports that; I believe pre-game static stretching has been found to have no effect on injury-prevention.

But you're absolutely right about avoiding static stretching in a warm up. This practice, which appears to have been purely anecdotal, has fallen out of favour since studies showed it reduced athletic performance (specifically: athletes jump higher if they don't stretch first).

Here's what I would recommend for your warm up:
    1. Aerobic exercise (jogging, cycling, whatever), moving into...
    2. Dynamic stretches (getting the muscles moving, not "stretch and hold it"), moving into...
    3. Badminton-specific movements (lunges, shadow footwork...).

The order is not rigid; for example, I use sidesteps (chasses) in the aerobic section (combining aerobic and badminton-specific elements).

Only after completing all this do you hit a shuttle.

7. BadMNTN_abner

BadMNTN_abner Regular Member

student
    15 minutes stretch routines.
    5 extra minutes for my lower body then another 5 for my upper focusing on my trunk,wrist and arm..

then on the game, i usually do lob, clear for the first 10 minutes.

8. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yes, I agree with Shifty and Gollum.

I used to stretch alot before playing badminton last year, when I used to panhandle. I injured my shoulder so many times, but I found out that if I didn't stretch.. I don't hurt myself as often even with incorrect stroke technique.

That example of athletes being able to jump higher without stretching is true to me. I find that if I do static stretching, I move much slower around the court for the first few minutes.

Static stretching should be done AFTER playing, such as when cooling down.. ( am i correct ? )

9. youngman

youngman Regular Member

Guess it's the "rubber band" effect. The newer the band is, the better the elasticity it has :)

10. youngman

youngman Regular Member

This is in response to Gollum's message: ... have been purely anecdotal, has fallen out of favour since studies showed it reduced athletic performance (specifically: athletes jump higher if they don't stretch first).

11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    you don't need to stretch your shoulders because due to your range of movements in badminton, they tend to be pretty flexible already. you can always do static stretching after exercises. i don't think there's as big a problem doing that.

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Absolutely right. :) The best time to perform static stretches is after you finish playing, because:

• Muscles tend to be shortened by sport; static stretches help return muscles to their normal length.
    • Your muscles are warm and relaxed, which means they are in good condition to be stretched.
    • Static stretches help to squeeze lactic acid (a toxin generated by exercise) out of the muscles, promoting a faster recovery.

13. Koolsan

Koolsan Regular Member

Company director
    Gollum , I'll try your routine tomorrow . thanks for the clear explanations .