The worst habit possible?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bananakid, Nov 13, 2008.

1. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    When I play at a competitive level, the games are usually very intense and very few bad habits ever occur, but as soon as I play at recreational club, all of a sudden, it's like I get to see all sort of bad habits/tactics... so...

In a game of recreational doubles badminton, what would you consider as the worst habit/tactic possible? or something that your partner does that really annoys you.:p

a) lifts the shuttle when receiving a serve
    b) bad serve position (eg. standing at the sidelines)
    c) illegal serves
    d) serve high like in a singles match
    e) plays backhand shot when an around the head shot can be played
    f) plays a mercy shot when it can be hit as a winner
    g) stays too close to the net at all times
    h) stays in the front when obviously a defense formation is needed
    i) doesn't have a clue on what to do in the front court
    j) backs up when he/she should have been in the front
    k) lift the shuttle when NOT under pressure
    L) blame you for not returning a powerful smash when he/she lifts for no reason
    m) tries to play a fancy shot during cruical moments of the game
    n) keeps on slowing down the shuttle even after both sides agreed on the shuttle's speed before the game. note: seniors love doing it
    o) complains about how he/she can not adjust to a plastic shuttle from a feather shuttle or vice versa, when obviously it is his/her own lack of abilities. Note: this is my choice for the worst sportsmanship ever
    p) last but not least, lying about an obvious line call.

#1 bananakid, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    white lies cheaters:D (ie. bad line calls on their side because they can get away with it)
    these players i find seem to play to win at any cost, not to play for fun or self improvement. Fortunately, from my observation, these cheaters improved very slowly, if any at all, over time. Maybe they know that, so they have to cheat LOL

#2 cooler, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Wow, do you have some unresolved anger issues? :p

These people are just trying to have some fun, they'll pick up some of the finer points of the game with time and experience. Help them out, show them a few of these tricks here and there and they'll get up to speed in no time.

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    im going to have to say

m) tries to play a fancy shot during cruical moments of the game.
    p) last but not least, lying about an obvious line call.

when i play for fun with friends on the weekend yeah there are some players who just try to do fancy shots all the time and that really gets me mad cause like 1/10 times it might actually work but they just wasted 10 points trying it. i wont lie i will try to do a fancy shot every once in a while if im in position and know its one that i can do its nothing as spectacular as the peter gade faint its just a simple shot and only if were leading by quite a bit. but like some players i know will try to play some fancy net shot when the shuttle is like 2 inches off the ground and it fails horribly but there so determined that it would have been the best shot and always try it or even if they could play a simple net shot they try something way way way to fancy and are still determined it is the best shot to play instead of a simple net.

as for the line calls nothing can be more annoying than a player who makes a bad line call. i hate it when it lands on the line yet they say its out or it lands obviously in but they still call it out. but hey if they do that well that just shows that there not confident in what skills they have it they have to cheat to win points, as much as i hate it when a shot lands right on the line after a long rally its still in and the opponents point.

one more thing that gets me is like if the opponent touches it be it their racquet or their clothing, any part of their body and after that it goes out and they say they never touched it that kind of stuff gets pretty annoying.

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Lifting the shuttle after a serve is pretty bad in most cases. More often than not, you can do something much better with the shuttle.

Poor serving is not good either.

Infact, I regard all of them as criminal really. However, complaining about the plastic/feather switch is something I and most others I know do so I don't think you're alone on that. There is a big difference so I certainly wouldn't mind if you did that if I was playing with/against you. I often run out of ideas at the front, I really hate the front court so I try and avoid it as much as possible.

Of all of the sins you list, my two most hated would have to be lifting for no reason and mercy shots. Unless playing a total beginner, I never play mercy shots. If I can, I'll smash the shuttle at them if I can. Not kind, but badminton is about winning; you don't have to be kind. Lifting for no reason really does my head in. It leaves me wondering why on Earth my opponent did it before smashing it through the floor. I can't say I've ever really lifted for no reason; infact, before I stepped my game up, I used to try to play a drive when the shuttle was too low and hit the net as opposed to lifting a shuttle that was too high.

6. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    LOL... so by pointing out some of the obvious bad habits and tactics of others implies that I have anger issues???:confused:

I don't know about the places where you play, but when it comes to recreational club players in my city, they are quite stubborn yet their egos are definitely bigger than their capabilities... SOME of these people are not necessarily willing to accept new ideas due to their stubbornness and egos.

The high-lighted part... you are definitely optimistic here. It may imply to serious players, but definitely not to everyone.

7. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

lol........ side arm serves from the sideline in doubles..... that's one of the worse. I dont really mind if my partner was to lift, as I would practice my defense anyway.

social play is for fun, although playing sports is about winning, but we can't win all the time so at least enjoy the game once in a while. It's in competition that's important.

I will always try my best, and expect my partner/or whoever I'm playing with to try best in competition. But its all good at social level.

However, there are those who do not play competitively, and everytime show up at a social venue, takes the game SOO seriously. This really annoys me..... especially playing with them as they always expect to win.

as for the plastic/feather thing is not an excuse of poor skills or wateva. If you play at a high enough level with feather, changing to plastic is quite a difference. although most of the shots are still there, major differences are net rolls arent as tight with plastic and will have little bounce. cross court slice arent as crisp with plastic and will require more effort for fast dip. defense is harder as bounces off racket, harder to control and direct a block.

I think players tend to have these bad habits as they are tense during competitive level, hence just want a fun hit at recreational places for a fun and enjoyable time playing badminton and not having to focus and try to WIN a match. :) (hopefully these habits don't carry into comp. tho)

8. ShuttleCocks

ShuttleCocks Regular Member

Student
    my bad habit is sucking ! haha

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    a very common habit would be elbow bent while hitting and retrieving shuttles below the waist at the front (even though the speed is there).

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Me too. I find that playing with folks who are slightly lower level than myself surfaces most of the habits you mentioned. I tend to play either much safer shots (not taking enough risk) like lifting, not pushing near the edges of the courts, move slower due to the opponent not making being able to push me hard enough, and even not minding losing a few points to stupid mistakes. All in all, these made me a worse player mentally.

If I have to pick, the worse will be to lie about even dubious line calls. I think that does not just affect one as a player. It's basic honesty and integrity of just being human.

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

My habits:

-Using same shot patterns.. the opponent can eventually read my moves. The only way I can improve on this is to simply play more, and also watch/spectate more tournaments.
    -Not concentrating on my line while line-judging ;)
    -e) plays backhand shot when an around the head shot can be played. ( this happens if I don't keep both arms up )
    -m) tries to play a fancy shot during cruical moments of the game.

12. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    I don't see what's so criminal about not playing "around the head"s. What if they just have a good backhand?

13. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i'm alright with most things really, as long as someone is trying their best.
    mistakes do happen.
    i don't like it when someone makes a bad line call on purpose though, that's just wrong.

14. Loopa

Loopa Regular Member

I can understand why you would be frustrated playing with or against people who aren't really sure what they are supposed to do in certain situations but since you specifically stated that you are playing recreational doubles you need to remember that not everyone has had proper training on when to move where on the court. My guess is that this is at some public club and you have people there who just want to hit a shuttle around. No ones perfect so cut them some slack and just enjoy the game of badminton.

15. kimir

kimir Regular Member

i dislike partnering players who keep on nagging at you or trying to teach you how to play when they themselves are not really good players. and they would insist you follow their style of playing sigh...

and there are players who have no defence yet keep on lifting the shuttles half-court to the opponents who have powerful smashes

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

My gosh, I hate those type of people you mentionned first.. luckily I don't get that anymore because I've improved alot..

The second one is a habit that many beginners tend to have when
    playing against people who are more advanced than them. It takes a while for them to understand that in order to turn defense into offense, they simply need to attack it back or do a drop-return to make the opponents lift..

17. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I actually love these folks. Whether I adopt their idea depends on the merit of the idea itself and not the player. I do like exposure to how other players think.

18. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    That's the biggest difference between serious players and recreational players.

Serious players want to learn from others and improve themselves.

Recreational players on the other hand are different... and the golden rule to deal with them is "if they don't ask, don't teach":cool:

19. Foppa17

Foppa17 Regular Member

It annoys me when a partner serves it straight up in the air. But I accept it and try to work on defence... It just plain pisses me off however when they do it then take u pthe defensive stance at the T. It's like "What the hell are you doing? You're not going to move to side by side. I hope he aims the smash at your head"

20. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    worst possible habit is being a sore arse loser. anything else is fine by me.