My Cab8 is dying.. what next?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Destricto_Ense, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    [​IMG]

Hi all. New to the forum so I'll make like a newbie and ask questions about racquets.

First off, I'm a beginner. Not a beginner as in just picked up a racquet for the first time, but a beginner as in I've played socially on and off for a couple of years, and I'd like to start taking Badminton a bit more seriously.
    I have a vintage Yonex Carbonex8, pictured above. It's about 20 years old (I got it off my dad..), and I know that it is/was a very good racquet, but I think it's on its last legs. It feels a bit wobbly when compared to the new monoframe racquets, and also when I got it restrung recently the guy in the shop (who was absolutely smitten with the racquet; said he played with one when he was my age) pointed out that although it was in good shape generally the head had become a bit asymmetric, and as a result he couldn't string it to full tension. I've sorta noticed since. Not that much in my play, because I'm not that experienced, but the strings do come out of line very easily.

Anyway, to cut this sob story short, could I get a few recommendations for what I should follow this racquet up with? I'd like a Yonex, for some subconscious reason, and although I play mostly doubles at the knock arounds I go to, I'd prefer a singles-orientated racquet. That is, if singles-orientation makes any difference at my level.

Cheers,
    Brian

2. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

hey, im in the same position as you, other than my cab 8 is still kicking, nothing much but loose pieces inside. my factory grip is rotten though, had to replace it with hockey tape + towel grip.

back on topic, i tried cab 20, and it felt pretty similar to cab 8, and thats going to be my replacement. my cab 8 still has some months to go.. until i attempt to restring at 21+.. :)

3. Destricto_Ense

Student
    I hefted a Muscle Power 99..didn't get to play with it but it felt very nice. Probably a bit excessive for my standard though.

I don't know if my Cab's grip is the original, but it's very thin and not cushioned at all which is what I prefer, I detest big Tennis style cushion grips.

4. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Anyone care to offer any suggestions?
    I know that this thread should probably be in the racquet suggestion forum, but I didn't come across that until after posting the thread. I tried to repost this thread there, but it doesn't seem to have gotten mod approval..

5. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I switched to the MP40 after playing with the CAB8.. The MP40 felt much easier to use.

The higher-end cab racquets might be hard to use.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    It's now in the right sub-forum :)

7. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Thank you Oldhand.

jhirata- I'll take a look at the MP40. Does it suit any style of play, or would that really make a noticeable difference to me? I'm not much of a smasher, prefer drop shots.

8. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Actually, that racquet is discontinued, and is a JP so therefore it is nearly impossible to find it.. even online. It suits any style of play, but it relatively lacks power compared to the higher-end MP/NS/AT racquets.

You can look at the MP45, MP66 or even MP88..

9. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Yeah, I figured out that it was discontinued when I searched for anywhere to buy it ;)
    My next stop was the MP 45 but I'll go look at the 66 now. My dream would probably be a 99 but that's surely excessive for me right now. It just felt so damn nice when I held it.

10. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Well to be honest.. Yonex racquets are overpriced and over-rated.

You can look at other brands such as SOTX and RSL.. The RSL Millenium Diamond X2 Gold 'felt' amazing when I just held it.. The price would definitely be lower than any of the higher-end Yonex racquets, and it's very powerful according to many people. Its maneuverability, obviously better than the old Cab8.

Oh, how tempting! :eek:

11. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

If you enjoy the Car8 which is an Oval shape racket, I think switching to yonex new models will be mainly Isometric shape, there will be a bit of differences but soon get used to it and find Isometric more "Forgiving".
    I think weight wise will also be different.

I agree that Yonex cost more & you can try others but it is up to you.

If you still like oval, I think there are still a few yonex oval shape around.

12. Destricto_Ense

Student
    I don't mind looking at ISO, since that's what pretty much all other racquets are right now. You might say that Yonex are over priced, but I've had this racquet for ages, so I've gotten a bit attached to the brand >_>

13. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Hi Brian,

First of all I believe Carbonex Series is still the most all-round racket from Yonex. It can be used by Beginner -> Advanced. I have that legendary racket too. Sometimes I still play with that racket to scare my opponent away :D lol.

Back to the topic, I believe another Carbonex will put you least time to understand. Since you're probably will enjoy more training with an oval, rather that isometric. Technology makes us better, but to be frank, in Badminton it's not the technology makes you strong. But your skill, and the technology just "help". We can't just blame the racket I'd say :D. You will got a lot better with so much limitation, and when the time comes, I believe you can choose the right racket for you.

That was my opinion, I hope it helpful :D. About my recommendation, I believe you should your carbonex 8, or buy another carbonex. I'm afraid It's your decision :). Sometimes you will have to think about the people around you.

Wish you make the best decision :).

14. Destricto_Ense

Student
    It's not solely that I want a new racquet, although the concept is an appealing one, but the Cab is getting a bit wobbly. I've found an MP99 for a very pleasing price on the net so I'll probably be buying that. I used a friend's MP99 last night, and it was quite nice. Although to be honest it is still just a racquet :p

Thanks all.

K4mu1 - I will certainly be hanging on to my Cab8. It is a legendary racquet as you say :)

15. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Good to hear that :). But as I said most Isometric racket is better than Old Cab8. But, with this racket you can learn faster rather than using Iso.

My main opinion is, even if we're good we're still learning to be better :D:D:D. Good luck on your badminton.

I believe should you ever think to buy another racket buy the one that suits you most :). Don't just try one brand, I believe badminton shops can help you pick one. (Testing). But for near future I'll suggest you to use your Cab8 till you feel you're ready :D. (Of course if you're ready now finding a new one is not a big problem :), but I would suggest you buy a new racket with your own money, the one you make. That way you will value your racket more!
    :D:D:D

16. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Hi all. I have yet to buy the MP99, partly because I've been busy, but also because I've come across another interesting offer.. a Nanospeed 9000 X for only £20 more than the MP99. Would I be better off getting this racquet?

17. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Take the 99. NS9000X is an extreme racquet, the most demanding, and least rewarding for those who cannot use it.

18. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Agree. MP99 is definitely more user-friendly than NS9000X.;)

19. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Aww.. damn, the NS9kX is a nicer colour than the MP :/

20. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    I believe NS9000 series have some durability problem :D. Some ppl in this forum have them cracked so fast. (Mostly are NS9000S though, but It's probable that the NS9000X have the same problem :D).

So if your choice is between MP99 and NS9000 I would recommend MP99.

Well... do you buy racket for paint job or to swing it? :D