Singles footwork question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ionoo, Nov 14, 2008.

1. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

Should I return to the center slower from the back than if I was from the front? Seems like if I return to the middle fast from the back the opponent has the advantage of just sending me back where I was just at. Momentum right?

Or is that a grave error? Singles expert out there help me :D.

2. Script

Script Regular Member

You should return to the centre as fast as you with the front.

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Your centre position shifts depends on where your opponent is taking his shot from. Ideally, you should also have stopped moving by the time your opponent takes his shot.

How fast you "return" to your centre hence depends on the shot you just played. If you do a drop or a smash, you pretty much have to run forward to cover the net return. In this case, your opponent will have to take the shot faster and your centre is shifted forward towards the shot. If you just cleared, no point rushing to the centre to wait so you can take your time.

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    yes there is a physical center location of the court but in singles after you hit a shot your not going to always be trying to go back to it cause well to be honest thats pretty stupid.

your center shifts depending on the shot you play and where you place it on the opponents court. so for instance if you play a good net shot your not going to run back to the center that would make it alot easier for you ropponent to play a net back but if you just take one shuffle back from the net that would be your new "base" and at that point your still close enough to the front if your opponent plays back that you could either kill the shuttle or play an offensive shot off their net but if they lift you are still able to get to the back of the court, etc. its the same with every other shot that you play you need to adjust yourself based on what shot you played and where your playing it to on their court.

hope that helps a little.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

6. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

"It’s common for players to make a sideways lunge with both feet pointing forwards. This is a dangerous habit and must be corrected at once."

Both feet should be pointing sideways then? So for instance I'm making a sideways lunge to the right, both my toes should point sideways to the right?

7. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    If it's wrong when both feet point forwards, then it's not necessarily right if both feet are pointing sideways... ;-)

The important point here is that when you do a lunge to the right, the foot that makes the lunge is pointing to the shuttle when you hit it.

The other foot normaly will still point forwards.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No, only the lunging foot points sideways. The other foot will normally remain pointing forwards.

9. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    If you clear you can walk quickly back so its not an issue,, if you smash you should run forward and if you drop or attacking clear, I find it best to chassy ( sorry about spelling )back because its very hard to be off balance and caught out when you chassy, even if its flicked back over your head.

10. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    So... Did you read my posting?

:D

11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    just consider the fact that your forwards movement is always faster than your backwards movement. therefore if you've played a clear from the back, then your base should be slightly towards to back. which means you don't have to rush back to base. however, there are always exceptions (e.g. if you play a punch clear, you have to get ready faster).

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes. I was just adding my assent. :)

I wouldn't normally have bothered, but as it was a question directly about something I had written, I thought it worthwhile.

13. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

You dont want to be "waiting" in base if possible. You need to time your arrival back to base and be landing with a "pretension jump" as they hit the shuttle. Bear in mind its not always a jump, it could be a split drop. What is important is to load your leg muscles to spring to new direction.

So basically its all down to the length of time between hits!

Dont get caught in base with your feet side by side, this means you have to make an adjustment movement first which wastes time and you have to re-load the trigger in your muscles, like a standing start in sprinting!

14. O.henry

O.henry Regular Member

High School
    you can move at a medium pace after a smash but once back to the middle you must go from slow to quick to where the shuttle is

15. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

I would recommend that you move towards the shuttle FAST and returning to the centre SLOWER. When you know where the shuttle is going to come, move to it at the fastest, but when returning to the centre, move in slow STEPS. ( Do not by anymeans, RUN )

16. keith.roche

And SPLIT STEPS. Its very important in singles.

17. keith.roche

Actually I didnt read the OP properly.
    I would suggest that you move towards the centre from bak, faster than from front.
    But IT VARIES from player to player. I'm someone who feels that going back is easy.
    Not JUST GOING BACK, but going Back with the FOREHAND.

18. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

i think getting unstuck for drops is far more difficult than stepping back for a rear court shot as you cannot afford to be late for a drop but u can for a rear court shot