Sudden Elbow Pain, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Coolcool, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Coolcool

Coolcool Regular Member

I just experienced a pain in my elbow a week ago. I played 3-4 more times after that, and it started to appear often and faster, especially during smashes.

The pain is like getting your elbow slightly pulled, and its in the whole general area of my elbow. The pain is inside, and I'm starting to worry about it. The pain is still bearable. My parents advise that I take a two week break, but I worry that this pain won't go away.

My theory: when I smash I extend my arm straight and don't follow through on my left hip; this may cause stress on my elbow (does anyone have a guide or vid for correct technique?).

Please help me, I just need to know if this is seems serious or not. :(

P.S. I have been lifting weights this week (first time in a long while).

#1 Coolcool, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Coolcool,
    If your elbow hurts "inside" and it's "the whole general area" then you need to do two things:
    1) Rest it.
    2) See somebody about it.

There is no way anyone online can accurately diagnose you. Tendonitis is a common injury in badminton, but this very well could be right in the joint, so don't fool around.... go to a doc or physio.

As for proper technique and videos there is lots to find if you use the Search function.

Good luck.

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Agreed, Fidget. A doctor is the best person to ask.

What tension have you been playing at? Your technique might not be good enough for it and this could be causing the damage.

4. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Following through with your elbow straight is a bad idea. It should be slightly bent so the shock isn't focused at it. I was told this by a high level player at uni. It sounds like tennis elbow. When I was doing what you did I had a shocking pain at my elbow if I did smash or clear with my arm straight at the point of impact.

Please see a doctor/sports physio for an expert opinion though. As I'm definitely not!

Try asking a coach for the correct technique if you can, it might seem expensive but not as expensive as the medical bills/pain of not being able to play later! You should improve the power of the shot as well.

5. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

wrong technique may cause ur elbow pain when doing smashing....=D

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    NSAID a few days rest, and then go for it again.. You should stop immideately when it hurts, then anti-inflammatory (or just rest) a few days, try again and so on.. also stretch alot.. If you still feel pain you should visit a doctor in sports medicine..
    Also aske a coach to verify that your technique looks ok, so you are not stressing your elbow unneccesary because of poor technique..

/Twobeer

7. youngman

youngman Regular Member

Product Manager (Core Networks)
    See a doctor as soon as possible. Stop all strenuous activities (Yes, weight lifting, badminton inclusive :crying:) at least 2 weeks (follow the doctor's advice). The doctor will probably prescribe anti-inflammatory medication (i.e. Voltarene gel etc.) as well.

#7 youngman, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008