Push ups and Bench Pressing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by nick089, Nov 15, 2008.

1. nick089

nick089 Regular Member

I heard that push ups are bad for badmitnon, but bench pressing is good. They both are very similar though. I thoguth push ups are bad becuase generally people do them slow, but if you push up fast, than isn't that for your triceps, which i beleive is needed for overhead shots. I was just wondering if i push up fast for both bench pressing and push ups is a good idea or not.

And i was wondering if shoulder press are good for my ovre head shots =)

Thanks

2. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    who told you that push ups were bad? probably if you only did push ups and nothing else as your strength training, then yes, that'd be bad. but there's nothing wrong with incorporating push ups into your training

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Pushups are actually much better for your shoulders because more shoulder muscles need to fire to keep your shoulder blades stable. For the bench press, your shoulder blades are pressed into the bench, so you end up gain strength in excess of your shoulder's ability to stabilize. If you do an activity which loads the shoulder in an unstable position (e.g. any overhead movement) you'll might generate more force than you can handle and BOOM shoulder injury!

4. nick089

nick089 Regular Member

thanks for the info, taht really clears things up for me =) also ive been doing foot work drills everyday in the morning and i was wondering if htat is bad? like if i have a injury i will stop fotr a bit and such. but i do the same drill all the time but my speed is increasing so i was jus twondering if its fine to do that =)

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    If you're doing something that gives you positive results, why do you still ask about it?

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    because something that is right at one level is wrong in another. for example, there's a thread in here which discusses the possibility of simply lifting deep every time in doubles. that may get you wins in a low level match, but as soon as you grow out of that, you'll be losing a lot.

you have to do what's right so can always benefit from it. doing push ups now means you'll benefit in a months time, 2 months, 2 years, till you retire. doing bench presses will give you benefits in 1 month, 2 months, but as stumblingfeet pointed out, you can easily injure yourself. so maybe in a years time, what was working won't.

7. nick089

nick089 Regular Member

oh thanks guys hah =) ya i used to just smash all the time, after some time, lost alot of my games haha. last thing =) the bench i bench press on is a bit smal so my shoulders can drop down, so my sholder muslces will be there to stabalise it so doing bench pressing on that bench is ok right?

8. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i'm not too sure. you're better off asking stumblingfeet. he really knows what he's talking about. i almost never use any sort of machine or even weights. i try and get by using my own body weight to train. e.g. push ups, pull ups, bridges, squats, etc. etc.

9. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Doing a moderate amount of muscle training is ok but make sure you don't overdo the weight training so that you become a walking tank.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, that should work. Nevertheless, push-ups (press-ups) are still worth incorporating.

The greatest risk of muscular imbalance occurs when you only do one type of exercise for that muscle group -- or at least, when one type of exercise is dominant.

Adding some variation to your weight training reduces the chance of this happening. It also improves the quality of your training, because you're forcing the body to adapt to more than one exercise.