tennis string on b. racket?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by tfc, Jul 14, 2002.

1. tfc

tfc Regular Member

Anyone has used tennis string on badminton racket. I would like to try
    a 18/19 gauge string on a prince axis racket, the one with less densed
    string pattern because the string break too easily.

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    you could try, your first obstacle would be that the tennis string won't fit through the grommets, but thats a simple remedy - take out all those annoying grommets!:p

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    tfc

for your information, prince have their own badminton strings for their badminton racquets.

4. tfc

tfc Regular Member

shared holes

It turns out the problems is with the shared holes. One can't put two string through
    the shared holes. Is there any b. racket without shared hole? Moreover,
    why we have to use 21 gauge string on b. racket? Weight is certainly not a problems
    and neither is the diameter, i.e. some squash strings are not rounded.

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    my princes strung with 0.68mm

i have had my princes for some time now, both are strung with 0.68mm strings - one with micro power, another with ashaway rally22. strings have lasted for several months and the fraying has started, but not broken.

going to a thicker - significantly thicker - string for the sake of longevity? you are giving up way more in terms of response, touch and power. in my experience with stringing, i have not as yet ever seen a badminton racquet with no shared holes in the shoulders (unlike tennis and some squash racquets).

if you are really in need to try, i think you will also find the thickness of the tennis string being very awkward to thread, the cris-cross pattern boxes are quite smaller than on the tennis racquet, you will notice a lot of creasing of the string. i would also be interested in seeing how well the tennis string bends around the grommets as well. you may probably wind up getting some loop corners instead of 90 degree corners.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not to suppress innovation, a lot of times, breakthrough in technology is the result of taking risks and innovate. however, there are also times when there are obvious detrimental effects of a certain experiment. using ultra thick strings on badminton rackets would be one of them.

these days, i just tell myself that i should just focus on the game itself instead of being fancy on my equipment.

7. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Re: shared holes

Yes, there are racquets without shared holes. The Babolat Satellite Series racquets.

Don't know why you would want to try tennis strings on badminton racquets but hey, whatever works for you :D

8. tfc

tfc Regular Member

high tension

one reason to use tennis string is that one can use higher tension.
    With b. string, the string would break easily when string above 30 lb.
    But 30-40lb for tennis string is nothing.

9. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    but can your racquet accepts high tension? racquet costs a lot more than string. :)
    besides, tennis string is heavier than badminton string, it will make your racquet become head heavy. Also, the structure of tennis string and badminton string is different, I believe.

You have to think wisely before trying it out, I never tried it myself but I can already came out with a few disadvantages for myself:

1. once you get used to tennis string on badminton racquet, it will be hard for you to control your placement and strength on hitting a shuttlecock with badminton string on badminton racquet.

2. as i mentioned earlier, tennis string is heavier than badminton string which will either make your racquet become head heavy or increase the weight of your racquet.

etc...

:)

10. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Re: high tension

Hahah...so you basically want to string in the high 30's range. Well, hope your racquet can take the tension. :D

Secondly at that tension, you might be better off playing with a squash/tennis racquet or even a solid/wooden racquet.

11. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    man - i mus be bored

i actually tried pushing some tennis string into my prince axis. the grommets were tight, there is no space between the string and the grommet. surprising enough all the holes sizes in the prince axis are identical size. theoretically you can string it with tennis string, but it would be a pain in the butt to pull through each grommet.

here's an idea :eek: why don't we split the difference - use squash guage string instead. if you want higher tension (not like 90 pounds as in tennis) but upwards to say 35 40 - squash string would be more than adequate to take the tension. plus, it is still a bit thinner than tennis....

man - i must be really bored. i think i'll string the other mmoa racquets tonight...:D

12. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Tennis or squash strings are simply too thick. They are designed and made so it take take high tensions from bigger objects, for example a tennis ball. A tennis ball hitting tennis strings in a tennis racket gives it some bounce because of the well known trampoline effect. Now you try that with a piddly ass bit of cork, you think that its going to have the same effect? No, it will be dead. This means that you would have to be some1 like Arnie just to even get some distance when hitting the shuttle with tennis strings. Furthermore, if you TRY and whack the bird as hard as you can, chances are that you cab rip muscles in your arms and be out for months? So, tennis strings in a badminton racket? I would rather hit the bird with a bit of wood, and probably have more success :)

Matt

13. RyviuS

RyviuS Regular Member

LoL...i duno why'd someone would ever think of using string from another racket sport for another. It would be pointless as to why companies such as yonex spend such a great deal of time and money investing into research and production of even better strings.

tfc: i suggest u jus focus on playing the game and have fun :p. No need to go overboard. U'd proby be more sucessful working on your footwork on technique then stringing your b-racket at such a high tensions. ( hopefully if u do do this u don't try it on an expensive one >.<)

14. tfc

tfc Regular Member

Different gauge strings

This is a forum to discuss issue about badminton equipment, if I am not mistaken.
    I would discuss practice in a different forum. The point is still a valid one. Why do
    we have to use 21 gauge string in badminton? In tennis the range goes from
    15 gauge to 19 gauge so player has a choice for the proper thickness of their
    preference. Since I can't make the string myself, it is very reasonable to see
    what is out there. As I mentioned, the weight is not a problem with the
    new generation of rackets. If yonex can make badminton strings from
    19 to 22 gauges, I am sure most of us would be happier.