Which tension, and string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by DrkMatter, Nov 18, 2008.

1. DrkMatter

DrkMatter New Member

Student
    Hi all..
    I'm rather new here, and I'm just wondering about my string. See, it's been pretty loose lately cause it goes out of...for a lack of better word, line. Everytime I hit a shuttle, a couple of the strings tend to bend a little or get crooked. So I figured that its time to get a new string.
    Thing is, I don't know what string I should use because this is my 1st time changing strings. I'll explain a little about my style, hope it helps! Well, I'm generally a power player, though I tend to use drop shots, cross net shots and all those soft hits as well. I can hit pretty hard, but I miss the shuttle most of the time :( By the way, I'm 16 so I'm not like, really good at it (I'm in a coaching programme currently) and I'm looking for a string that allows me to give good hard strokes, smashes, as well as drop shots (an all rounder string, then). And if possible, it should not be too expensive.
    Secondly, after the string, what string tension should I get? As I mentioned, I'm a pretty all rounded player with no particular habits (I'm still choosing between being a hard hitter or a front player) so I'd like a nice tension to go with it. My current string tension is fine, but I don't know what tension it is at :). Maybe 20~23. But is there a more specific tension for me?
    And lastly, is it possible to just tighten the string instead of just changing the whole thing? And if I tighten, what tension should the string be at? I'd appreciate some help here. It will give me a clear view of my future racquet modifications. Thanks in advance. Cheers, DrkMatter.

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Hi, as you're a beginner, you won't want to string at a tension that's too high. I'd say about 24Lbs at the most. Perhaps 22Lbs, right in the middle of your and my ideas. I think perhaps Yonex BG-65Ti. A cheap and powerful string that seems to hold tension reasonably well.

Sadly, you can't just increase the tension, you'd have to cut and re-string.

3. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Beginners usually go with 20-22lbs on string. I personally favor the BG80 because of the feel and the sound it makes. You can actually hear the sounds are different whether you hit the sweetspot or not. It would help you to have correct strokes I believe.

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Good idea actually, the BG80 makes a great sound when you middle it, that's a great reward for hitting a good shot. They're a little more expensive that 65Tis though aren't they?

5. nicknackman

nicknackman Regular Member

If you are still in your beginning training stages and tend to hit hard...I recommend just using BG65 at 21lbs because its a durable string and its forgiving if you miss the sweetspot...you will most likely break your BG80s if your persistently miss the sweetspot. Keep in mind that if you string BG80 at a low tension like 20-22lbs...it really defeats the purpose of the high repulsion, feel, and hitting sound (basically indifferent with BG65 at that tension). Also stringing at a lower tension like 21lbs...gives less strain to your wrist/arm which is ideal for day to day training...overall: my 2 cents is go with BG65 at 21lbs for ur training racquet

6. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    But the thing is, BG80 contains vectran, which the string package itself actually suggest that the user should string the racquet 2 lbs lower than the intended tension, which if you string at 21lbs, the user would feel 23lbs. But overall, it's up to the topic maker to decide. BG65 looses tension too fast in my opinion.

Note: Make sure you consult your stringer too~

7. souxiong

souxiong Regular Member

this is a general question I'm kinda new to the badminton scene if my MP99 says 22lbs could I go up to 24lbs or no or will it warp my racket if I go that high I need some input I'm ???????

8. nicknackman

nicknackman Regular Member

Hey souxiong...the recommendations don't usually mean much...it won't warp your racquet...u can go up to like 32lbs if you'd like...however you are more likely to break ur racquet under impact...and there will be no warranty if u exceed the recommendations...but if ur experienced...usually u can bypass the warranty recommendations...

9. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    MP99 can go up to 30lbs easily so 24lbs shouldn't be a problem.

10. souxiong

souxiong Regular Member

Thanks for the help

11. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    But do keep in mind that once you exceed the recommended tension limit, Yonex's warranty will not cover your racquet.

12. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

you should try different tension to find out what's the best for you. well, that means new set of string each time you change the tension.

13. DrkMatter

DrkMatter New Member

Student
    Thanks all, for the answers. By the way, I'm using a Carbonex 7 (old racquet, hehheh). What is the max tension it can handle?