is it ok to leave my badminton bag in the car?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kooshball, Nov 19, 2008.

1. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

i bring my bag with racquets and birdie with me to work sometimes so i can hit the courts right after work.

usually its around 65-70 degrees out now. would it hurt to keep the bag in the trunk? i do have the cover for both racquets and i have a yy 7824 bag.

thanks

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Yes, it is OK for you to leave the bag in the trunk of your car. Just not your racquet...
    Issue
    1) Even if it is 65-70 out side, the trunk or inside of the car can still gets hot under ths sun.
    2) If you leave inside of your in sight, what is stopping me from break you back seat glass to grab it?

3. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    that goes for any valuables ;):D:p but does it have any effects on the racket?? :confused:

4. globenstein

globenstein Regular Member

McGill student
    I don't think anyone would risk breaking a car window or forcing a lock to steal ... a racket bag? Especially a bag. For all they know it could be filled with dirty laundry...

But since it's still warm where you live (damn its -10C here), you should probably avoid leaving your rackets in the car. My friend's tennis racket broke when he did leave it in the car during the summer. The frame got messed up or something.

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

:D:D:D I was thinking those exact same words when I saw the title of the thread.

I do leave my racket bag (with rackets) in the trunk but only if I'm parked underground. The afternoons here are a constant 30-33degC (86-90degF) so there is little fluctuation. Exposed to the sun, the inside of the car rises to over 60degC (yeah, I measured). The trunk is only slightly "cooler" at 45degC. Remember that the car is effectively a green-house and worse if you have dark interiors (or if its black).

Neither temperature is good for the racket. I'm not so sure about the effect on the strings.

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I would not recommend leaving your bag in the car at all. There was a discussion before and the rackets that were left in the car had weaker durability and broke easier.

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I think it would be fine for short periods of time but I wouldn't keep them there all the time. As said, it can't be too good for the racket or strings.

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

and the most importantly is, will those baddy thefts steal our baddy accesories???:p:p

9. courts123

courts123 New Member

courts123

extremes in temperature can affect the resiliency of the strings. Storing a racket in temp below 15 can make the strings play dead unless you give them time to warm up. conversely, temp over 30 will produce a baggy feel as if you've loss tension. Not fun if your in for a serious match!:crying:. Doing this constantly will ruin your strings and will not be great for the racket either.

10. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

has anyone had their racket break due to expansion of the carbon? its 20 degrees in my house and -20 outside the house when i take the bus..

11. courts123

courts123 New Member

courts123

I've been selling rackets for 13 years and have never come across it. A hairline fracture in the graphite could be aggravated by temp extremes

12. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

thx for the response guys.
    i will take my racquet wiht me to the office when i go play then.
    i work at a semi closed off place so i'm not too worried about people breaking into my car and taking my stuff. besides, the bag is in the trunk anyways.

would I need to worry about the birdies? shoes?
    probably easier to take the whole thing but im lazy heh ;)

#12 kooshball, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  13. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Just take the whole bag with you.

14. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

I live in CO and soon I'll be getting a lot of snow and cold weather on a daily basis. Would it be bad leaving my racket/racket bag in my car trunk? Even if it is for let's say 7 ish hours since that's how long school is?

15. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If it's cold weather without direct sunlight then it's fine

16. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

Even if it gets really cold? Like even below 0 degrees F? I just don't want it to freeze or something weird and just snap when I take it out then if I do actually leave it in my car.

17. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I leave my racket inside my trunk all year round. The temperature here is similar to Weeyeh's , ie 30-33degC (86-90degF), all year round, although it maybe cooler at certain monsoon season around 26degC.

My rackets are 2-3 yrs old. They have not warped, broken etc My tension is 23 and I have recently strung at 24 lbs. I have one high end racket (Yonex Arcsaber 7) and two cheap rackets (Apacs Gold Nano and Ashaway Chrome bla bla - can't even remember the fullname).

However, as far as tension goes, yes, it does get loosen up very quickly. My issue is the same as kooshball, I go straight to the games after work.

I believe, wrt structural integrity, that if you have a chip in your racket, the heat will catalyse the breaking of your frame. My rackets have no chips but my previous rackets lasted only 2 years because of chips and probably accelerated by the heat.

So, if at all possible, keep them in cool place and no sunlight. I cannot be bothered, however.

18. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

Would you include freezing cold temperatures under cool or no? From all these posts I've gotten that for sure not to keep them under direct sunlight.

19. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    As long as it isn't too hot or too cold then the rackets won't be affected.

20. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

Alright thanks!