String affected by Temperature?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by crescence, Nov 19, 2008.

1. crescence

crescence Regular Member

Student
    So ya, I just thought of this the other day. Do badminton strings contract or expand if it's too cold or too hot? Just kinda worried since I don't wanna drive all the way out to Downtown Vancouver just to get it restrung again :p

2. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Why are you driving to downtown to get it restrung. If you live in Vancouver, go to Tad's and tell them you're a BC member and get 10% off (Yes, on stringing service too).

To your question, strings do contract and expand according to the temperature because of change in coefficient of thermal expansion (kinda scientific). So never put your racquet(s) in a too hot or too cold environment, keep the temperature around the racquet(s) consistent.

3. crescence

crescence Regular Member

Student
    I don't actually live in Vancouver lol. I live close to Vancouver but nobody ever knows where the city I live is. =P
    Okay, thanks for answering my question and I didn't knwo you could say that you're a member of BC and get a 10% discount.~

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The string increases in tension in hot weather and vice versa. You want to keep the string in a small range of temperature so that durability isn't affected.

5. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

temperature dependency? oh, yes. this is the physical property of the polymers used in the string. in general, minimize the heat/cool cycle to maximize its life. well, you may want to put on a new set of string after 3 months anyway.

6. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Surprisingly, yes you can. Last time I went to Tad's to do some stringing and told Gary I'm a BC member and he's like "Okay, got it". When I pay at the counter, he gave me 10% off because I saw it on the receipt.

7. crescence

crescence Regular Member

Student
    No need to show them something like a membership card or stuff saying you're from BC then? My parents wondering about this then because they think anybody could say they're from BC and get the discount.:)