Restringing an ancient racket...

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by weeyeh, Nov 19, 2008.

1. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Hi all,

I need your expert opinions here...

I just bought almost new Yonex Aerotus 110 (2U). I need to restring it since the current string is too tight for me. I need some opinions about which string to choose and some advises on tension.

Basically, I intend to use it very sparingly (warm ups, or the like). My main racket is a Cab30 w/ BG80 @ 25lbs (2 knots). The criterias are:
    • string must last a really long time (>1 year)
    • string must not lose too much tension
    • string must still provide a good "feel"
    I guess strings like BG66 is out. I am contemplating BG80 or even NBG98 and does not rule out BG65. I didn't like any of the Yonex Ti strings because they are too slipery and seem to inhibit the feel for the racket.

Next is string tension. As I do not expect to change the string in >1 year, should I string it at a higher tension so that the string will settle lower, or lower tension so that the racket is not as stressed? I am considering 24lbs (1 lbs lower than my current setup) but will love any inputs.

I will rest the racket next to my Cab8 after I had enough fun with it. :D

2. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    25lbs bg65 or bg70

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I see value in that. BG65 is kinda cheap here so for the price of the NBG98, I can restring it twice :p..

4. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    you have just described bg70Pro. However, bg70pro sucks when it drops below 28lbs, but it will last even longer after the drop. I have the same racquet!! Is it really ancient already? haha mine's a 2UG3 and it's a total slug of a racquet. I had mine strung @ 28lbs with BG80 and use it once in a blue moon during warmups. How high is the tension right now?

5. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    NBG95 has very good power and durability but the string has a numb feeling.

6. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

That'll be a problem. BG70Pro sucks at <28lbs and I suck at >25lbs so we might not have a match. :D

No, the AR110 is not that ancient but the word does give it some character :p. You certainly do not see too many aerotus around nowadays.

I have no idea what the actual tension is. I remember the seller mention 26 or 27 lbs but he also mentioned that his other friends thinks it's tighter than that. I also have no idea how long since the racket's been strung but when I played it the last time (saturday), I felt the tension is too high for me.

7. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

isn't BG65 is the most worse holding tension??

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

BG80 at 20x22lb it will last you a year and tension will drop about 3 lb after 1 year.

Good luck!

9. BlankShot

BlankShot Regular Member

Actually, it holds tension pretty well, besides the initial drop. Just string it around 2lbs higher than normal and it'll last you a while.

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I second this suggestion.

To lend to others in case they were short of a backup racquet (and also to prevent anyone from borrowing any of my better racquets :p), I used to carry a Yonex MP-99 strung with BG-80 at 22 pounds.

It was strung over a year ago... and has been used on several occasions.
    I checked just now... and the racquet, the string and its tension are all fine.

11. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I just stroked with the AR110 again yesterday. The tension is definitely too high for me right now. Still here are a few interesting observations:
    • Power-wise, the racket is almost on par with my Cab30
    • It's not a easy to maneuver as the Cab30. Probably because the cab30 is a 3U
    • Swing speed is Wow!! fast!! Cuts air as advertised and that's probably where the power came from.
    • For drives, I definitely prefer the Cab30. The AR110 is somewhat sluggish.
    I think I'll be going with BG80 @24lbs. That's what I have on my backup Cab30 so it provides a means for comparison. Based on the feel I have so far, I doubt I will be using it in actual play.

I'll restring it tomorrow so please keep the recommendations rolling in :D:D

12. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I third this suggestion. I got my Arc10's strung at 21lbs with BG80 and I play 3 times a week at least with 2-3 hours. The tension is holding up nicely and I don't notice any tension change so far. BG80 could be my favourite string I've ever used (Not that I used a lot of strings).

13. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Okay, I went with NBG98 instead at 24lbs just to try out the string. Thanks again for all the suggestions :).

14. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You will like the NBG98

15. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Well, your constant recommendation of the NBG was part of the reason I considered to try it out. Plus the stringer were lacking the colour I wanted for the BG80 and the price difference wasn't that much so I thought, what the heck.

16. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

3 trials on the AR110 in between games. I didn't quite like the setup. The AR110, NBG98@24lbs is less powerful than my Cab30+BG80@25lbs despite a theoretically more repulsive string and its aerodynamic head design.

The 2U AR110 is also a lot less maneuverable than the 3U cab30. I also didn't quite like the feel of the NBG98 -- seems a lot less communicative than the BG80.

I suspect this might be because the AR110 setup does not respond as well to wrist flicks whereas the Cab30 rewards that with abundance. Still have to feel my way around the AR110 a bit more but the above's just my reactions after 3 sessions.

17. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    BG80 has a hard feeling while NBG98 has a slight numb feeling.

18. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Yeah... I saw that from Dink's reviews but thought I can still use the extra repulsion in the NBG98. I'll just have to give it more time... As of now, I still prefer the BG80 to NBG98.

No regrets for choosing the NBG on a "backup" racket first to get a better feel of it. I'll give the setup more time to work out my kinks... :p