Shirts Shirts Shirts

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Don, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Don

Don Regular Member

I am going through shirts like there is no tomorrow. I need a decent shirt for practice play and tournament play for both squash and badminton. I usually wear a good old fashion grey fruit of the looms shirt for practice and a very subtle nike t shirt for tournament play. Any recommendations out the shirts available through yonex or any other brand? I was looking at a neoprene shirt a while back, it was very breathable, dried quickly and really molded to my upper body not to mention light. Anything like that available?

2. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Don, try the breathable fabric t-shirts from more manufacturers like Nike or Adidas. i have used them and find them quite comfortable. the fabric is more high tech breathable stuff instead of just plain cotton that most t-shirts are.

the latest Yonex t-shirts also look very nice, and looks like the fabric is the newer type as well. however, Yonex shirts tends to be rather pricey.

4. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    are your shirts ripping? or what?

lol... i have a countless number of shirts.... not going to run out anytime soon...

5. Gon

Gon Regular Member

Hulk Hogan!

:D

6. Don

Don Regular Member

I tend to sweat a lot; therefore, for some reason the material breaks done and I get ripping if I swing and the shirt clings to my body. In a way yah, sort of hulk hogan, but done indirectly. It has happened many times in squash because of my upper body rotation, and starting to happen in badminton.

7. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Just get a bunch of Adidas/Nike shirts at Champs, National Sports or Athletes world . I think they have reasonable prices... Yonex ones are expensive probably.

8. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

The climate here is so hot and humid that i cant think of anything except Cotton. Prob the Nike Dri fit shirts might be Gr8. But then i cant wear anysuch thing during the heat.

I take with me for a match something like 5 Tshirts and yeah i run through all my tshirts in no time. But then Being in india has one advantage as there is a lot of export surplus of Cotton shirts of various sports brands. So i can get to buy a Adidas Tshirt for something like 4USD. So i just stock up adidas.

But then my total stcok of things that i wear for prac and play is like 40 odd shirts. I stock upto 8 days wear.Sometimes i might have 2 sessions in the same day.

But then Tshirts and wrist bands are always a problem leave alone the towels.

9. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    on topic of t-shirts - washing

hey all. on the topic of t-shirts, one of the problems i am having is that my t-shirts are getting some sort of a sour smell to them even after washing with various detergents, (non-bleachable) bleaches and softeners can't seem to remove.

these are new t-shirts - like a couple months, and they are picking up the smell.

we had to trash a bunch of older shirts because of the problem, but some of the new ones we bought are getting the same problem. any ideas?

10. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    um.... a smell? never had that happen.... maybe you should try febreeze or some other thing that get's rid of odours..

11. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    good T-shirt tip

Recently I bought this Mizuno T-shirt. It has special antibacterial layer embedded. I can play in it whole afternoon and it does not smell after it at all. I was really nicely surprised how well this antibacterial thing work.
    And by the way I don't use cotton shirts at all. The new synthetic materials like Moira are so much better when you are sweatting a lot... I have also good experience with sweedish brand Craft.

12. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Don, try this

Don, I've been using tee shirts made by Duofold from the new Coolmax Alta wicking polyester - they are light, comfortable, wick sweat much better than cotton or even the older regular Coolmax, can be tossed in the dryer and won't shrink like cotton or melt like other wicking fabrics and tend not to smell. You can get them from www.sierratradingpost.com, which is a sports and outdoor gear liquidator located in Wyoming that has excellent prices (typically 35-80% off retail) on tons of gear. I've probably placed two dozen or so orders with them in the past six years, and have had extremely good service from them. A caveat: the owners are bible thumpers, so if the religious stuff on the back cover of their catalog and maybe on their website someplace would bother you and you don't think you can overlook it easily, it's probably not the company for you. I'll try posting a link to the specific web page for the shirts.

Sierra Trading Post Coolmax Alta tee shirts

13. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Re: on topic of t-shirts - washing

Badrad, I have a solution. When you add your laundry detergent, also add 1/2 or 3/4 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda or Borax laundry detergent booster, at the beginning of the wash and let it dissolve for 30 seconds or so before putting in clothes. It may take one or two washes or you might want to let the tee shirts soak in that mixture for an hour or two before running the washing machine, but that should clean out your shirts and make them wearable again. I had that problem a few years back and with trial and error, discovered a cure. Good luck.

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    For cheapie shirts, and people that dont really care what type of shirt they wear, I recommend shirts from an oem manufacturer called Gildan Active sportwear, and Hane's Beefy T's.

I only have like 2 YY polo shirts, and they cost quite a bit, but they are very light, comfy, and air circulation is relatively good.

As for general t-shirts, I usually wear Umbro, Nike, or Adidas shirts... mainly Umbro, because when you think of sports, and people getting sweaty, the first thing that came to my mind was soccer... those guys are wearing light weight shirts, that have superb circulation, that wont stick to your body at all, and they also look nice.
    That's just my opinion though.

15. Racketmate1977

Racketmate1977 Regular Member

Civil Servant & Part Time Badminton Coach
    Kason www.kason.com.cn do a good range of shirts, t-shirts etc. Prices are very competative to. I rep for them in the Uk as well as having a small sponsorship package with them for my coaching commitments. most of the shirts have Cool Dry technology incorporated into them. I had no complaints yet from players using Kason in UK.

If you like me I sweat buckets and go through clothing at an astounding rate. Give them a try you never know

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i don't know how the ladies can handle the sweating part since they usually wear 2 layers of shirts:D

17. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    XD @Cooler- I've always wonder that too. How come they sweat less then us when they wear 2 layers, and we wear 1?

18. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

they don't move around as much as us guys. :D:D:D

but all jokes aside, those sport bras have all the crazy materials in them. a lot of them have all that moisture wicking and various other synthetics.

19. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    Ladies have a slightly lower temp so they can stand the heat slightly better and sweat less (most cases).

Yonex's VeryCool shirts are very light and dries quite fast, but at very high cost... the other options will be buying the tennise shirts from Adidas or Nike, they work just as well.

I think most of the fast drying fabric have the anti-bacteria characteristic, so that will reduce the chance of having that "sour" smell. But like all clothings, wash them immediately after you play, even if you don't have time to wash it right the way, rinse it out with water first and don't leave your sweaty clothing inside a plastic bag for too long inside your car.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    why don't they use those bra materials on all the shirts? Not fair:(