Recommend me a racket that can help me develop

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by renesis, Nov 20, 2008.

1. renesis

renesis Regular Member

Hi everyone,

I need everyone's wisdom. I have used the search button to find all the available information I can and I am still conflicted between what I'm reading and what my gut is telling me. I am deciding between the Arc10, A900P and A700.

Now for some background information. I would consider myself an advanced beginner, I still have plenty to learn and my primary style is offensive with a preference for smashes and drives. Net play and back hand technique is something I hope to develop.

At the moment I am using a Carbonex 8 strung with BG80 at 25lbs which was my backup. My previous racket was a MP100 strung with BG80 at 23lbs until the head broke. With the Cab 8 I initially disliked the feel of it until I had it restrung at a higher tension and added some lead tape to make it head heavy with about 3-4cm of lead tape at the 12 oclock and 3 and 9 oclock position. Now I am able to clear and smash relatively easily.

The new racket will be used as my main racket with the Cab 8 becoming my backup again. I only play recreationally, playing doubles 90% of the time.

My heart is telling me to get the AT700 for the power, but my mind is telling me to get the ArcSaber 10 since I believe my smashes are powerful enough and I need to work on my technique and positioning. The AT900P I believe would be a compromise. If you could help me sort it out it would be greatly appreciated!

2. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    since you play 90% doubles,for power play preferably choose AT 700, since you got power to smash, so AT 700 head heaviness is going to enhance your smash to a greater level. In terms of maneuverability, AT 700 is considered as slow, but since you have your partner, i think he can cover for you, so it is not really necessary.

if you play more to placing and control, i would advise you to use either AT900T or Arcsaber 10. Arc 10 is fast and have more control, but a little bit lack in power, and AT900T have more power, but a bit lack in control and slower than Arcsaber 10.

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I would not recommend any of those rackets for a beginner. Also a recreational player shouldn't be spending that much money on rackets.

I suggest you look at other brands like Apacs and SOTX.

4. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

unless u have unlimited budget...otherwise other's brand is great too =D

5. renesis

renesis Regular Member

Well my budget isn't exactly unlimited but due to the collapse of the AUD I will be getting a racket locally so it has to be available from Stadium Sports. Are there any other models that I should look at?

I'm not really concerned about the price of the racket, I would like one that suits my style of play and because of this I'm leaning towards the AT700. I won't notice much of a difference between the AT700 and the AT900P and ARC10 due to my level of skill right?

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You wouldn't know much difference between the AT700 and AT900P but you should notice a difference for ARC10.

7. greyes

greyes Regular Member

professor
    YY racquets

I think it would also depend on the weight of the AT700/900 you buy. If you purchase the lighter version, you'll be a little faster; hence better defense... buut, maybe at the expense of a bit of power if your swing speed while smashing is constant between the two versions (but probably still more powerful than the arc10); hopefully this doesn't add too much confusion!! :eek:.

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    you have to remember that these rackets are heavy head so the defence won't be as good as a head light racket. It all comes down to personal preference.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Not to complicate your choice even more, but I also think you should consider a 900T.

Like you, I play doubles almost exclusively. Last time I upgraded I went straight for the P because I just wanted power (and my technique, excuse the pun:D, wasn't as good as it is now). Having tried the T, however, I find it to be undeniably the better all-court racket, despite losing 5% or so in the power stakes.

I can't exactly pin down why this should be, as the T and P are the same weight and balance, but feel tells me that the T "kicks" higher up the shaft than the P and is thus more controllable. If your doubles games see you moving all over the court, as opposed to staying at the back, I would seriously consider the T in addition to the rest of your shortlist.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    You cannot depend on your racket(s) to develop your skills in Badminton

As kwun and many others have pointed out: click here

DO NOT FOCUS ON:
    - expensive racket - you will most likely be wasting money

You cannot depend on your racket(s) to develop your skills in Badminton.

11. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

not to discourage you or anything, but look at what you said yourself. you are still developing as a player, and thats ok. if you read Kwuns article, he makes a good point, shoes are probably the most important thing for a player. rackets are only as good as the player. A racket will not make you smash like Lin dan. only if you oractice hard, and use correct technique. tha being said, look for a mid range racket, something you feel comfortable with, and look into other brands, where prices are cheaper.

12. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

If I am not mistaken, Carbonex 8 has a medium stiff shaft, and others you mentioned has a stiff shaft, you may want to reconsider them totally.

as suggested by Kwun, check out other brands, and focus on head heavy ones, since you added a lot of lead tape to Carbonex 8 at this point. you should at the least try another racket in your club now to find out what kind of character you like the most, such as stiffness, head heavy (or BP point), length, etc.

Good luck.

13. renesis

renesis Regular Member

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts.

In response to Chris@CCC and jymbalaya I have a pair of badminton shoes already but thanks for your thoughts. I will also keep in mind that the racket will not make me a better player.

I believe my personal preference is for a head heavy racket as it's easier for me to handle so I think I will be going for the AT700.

In reply to dunmaster, yes the CAB8 is a regular flex racket (as that's what it says on the racket). Based on my use of the MP100 and CAB8 I would a racket with a shaft flexibility in between the two and from what I am reading the AT700 isn't as stiff as the other rackets I've chosen so that may be my choice.

I won't be buying the racket until next weekend so you guys still have plenty of time to let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Renesis

14. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I don't know if you've tried those racquets yet, but from what I've seen of people switching out of the carbonex series is that they will lose all their power, control and technique when they switch to those advanced racquets. But hey, you won't know until you try them out! You could always get the Arc9, aside from the girly color scheme, the racquet is quite the performer.

15. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Any updates on this, renesis? I'm in a vaguely similar position - replacing my Carbonex 8. I also like rotary engines, hehe.

16. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    I hope this will help anyone who is currently interested in expanding a racket :). It's a repost from someone in this forum. It's about the technical Specification in English for a lot of Yonex racket. Especially the High - End.

Yonex USA Chart

Too bad this don't include the targeted user :( as the Japanese does T_T... But we can judge some from Head Heavy/Light, and Hold/Repulsion. As we can see, all carbonex are located at the center of this chart. This is why I would always suggest beginner - intermediate to use Carbonex. As you would face extreme problems from Arcsaber, Armortec, or Nanospeeds.

17. renesis

renesis Regular Member

Thanks for the link K4mu1, based on my experience I prefer a head heavy racket since I've used a slightly modified CAB8, therefore it would make sense for me to get a head heavier racket like the AT700.

Destricto_Ense, I do like rotary engines and I am still thinking of getting the AT700. I will go to the local store next weekend hopefully and I will let you know my decision. I have found a cheaper place to buy the racket although unfortunately they do not have stock till January. Chances are I will pay a premium for having it now.

18. renesis

renesis Regular Member

As a follow up to everyone, I've actually decided to get the ARC10.

I tried my friend's AT900P and I didn't enjoy playing with it, it was a bit too head heavy for me and in the end I decided to get the ARC10 which was head heavy but not too head heavy.

Thanks for the suggestions from everyone, I will continue to train and learn.

19. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Help u to develop..buy a trainer racket.Those heavy racket may range from 120-170grams.That,will help u develop ur swing power,swing speed in both defense or offense.Lots of pros has this kind of racket and they use them during practice..While Arc 10 or any other good ordinary rackets will only help to maximize some player's performance or game style..not developing their skills.

20. DrkPh03n1x

DrkPh03n1x New Member

Thought I'd chime in here and get a little advice as well.

I'm a beginning player who just started Badminton this summer (my first time seeing or touching a badminton racket). I bought a net and play basically every day now with a friend of mine. I have no Badminton coach and don't know anywhere in Philadelphia that offers instructional classes as is done with other sports. Regardless, I really love playing and watching the game.

I respect the fact that beginning players have other things to focus on than a racket, however, after trading with my friend for a match I realized that the head on mine is way to heavy for my tastes. (Maybe that's good for practicing, I don't know). But for that reason I'd like to get a new one, one that I can grow into given how often I've been playing recently.

Like I said, I've had no sort of instruction so really can't comment on my play style. It's probably about a 50/50 split of offensive and defensive leaning a little more towards playing smashes.

I have the money to spend on a racket and I'm looking for something at or below $100. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions on the best way to improve by yourself without professional instruction would be great. Is foot work and form something you can learn from a book? Or is watching video from tournaments like the super series helpful?

Thanks!