Anyone had ACL tear repaired & still play Badminton

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Vodude, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Hii,
    I wonder do any of this BC members have an ACL tear n repaired but still play Badminton?
    I just saw at buy n sell section that a person who have this case quite play Badminton..
    Is repaired ACL bad for Badminton players?
    I did had my ACL repaired but still play Badminton..

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    This injury is common among active sportspersons.

You could do with some reading:

1. Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injury
    2. More - All About ACL Injuries
    3. Rehabilitation After ACL Surgery

Play more, with more care, and enjoy the game :)

badmintonfan#1 likes this.
  3. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

i tore my ACL playing basketball. had it surgically repaired. that was 10 years ago and i still play basketball up to now but not as competitive as before. too scared to banged up by 5 other guys going for the ball. in 2002, i started playing badminton again. badminton was my sport when i was 8-12 years old. started to train around 3-4x a week. i play competitively at club level. no problems so far.

#3 blueagle, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  4. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I've had four knee surgeries and I'm still playing.

My worst was ACL/MCL both being shredded during an illegal tackle in RUGBY years ago. As understand it they took ope of my hamstrings to replace the ACL. Other than some limited motion ( I can't kneel and touch my butt to the back of my legs), it works quite well.

it gets sore some days, but I'm not sure if that is from the ACL or the fact I also a massive chunk of cartilidge removed from the same knee.

5. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    I am been running for the past 10 years w/out ACL/PCL & playing badminton for the past 8 months again---->>I stopped playing badminton at age 15 and started playing at age 9y/0 intensely. Injured in gymnastic, torn all ligaments in my rt. knee, dr. told me I would never run or play sports again-----Damn dr. what Hope? I break the impossible, and I still run, and finally decided to jump back to badminton after 15 years without playing thinking ..what do i got to lose???? Live 1 , play hard. I am wearing lots of knee strapped to protect my knee from twisting and developed muscle to help support my bad knee. Guess what, I have the fastest footwork at my Badminton Club. Nothing is impossible folks. It's all in your HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Disagree. You do have a physical limitation. It may only be a matter of time before the knee twists again.

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  11. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Ueah me too

not true pall.. it has been twisted and it might be twisted but it doesnt mean it will twisted..

12. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    When i have the time, I will make a video of my UGLY knee and post it on YOU tube for you to see. The doctor did part of the surgery to fix my lateral ligament and medial ligament, but did not have time to finish my ACL/PCL!!!! This was done 15 years ago--the old school style, where he torn my knee apart and now i got about 2ft scare running down my knee........

I am planning to have my knee done sometime next year because I want to jump higher and play harder........but for now I prayed that my knee will hold up the game..so far so good. NO swelling, with minor ache...but i play 5hrs, 8 games per session 2x a week sometime 3x.

Please take cautions: everyone is different, i might be lucky i got strong legs from gymnastic to keep my knee more stable....but you need to build up your hamstring and quad . muscle. Play hard....

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Please Keep us posted! I hope your articular cartilage and meniscus are relatively intact compared to other unfortunate sufferers.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You have to be careful about what I was referring to;). I disagreed with the point that it is 'all in the head'. Are you saying I am wrong?

15. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Nope, no mate..

I am 29 Y.O. I have my ACL reconstruction back about 8 years ago :)
    I start badminton about 4 years ago, sometimes i feel like my knee seems stretch too much, but since about a couple months back i be more carefull, i thought u said people who had done their ACL reconstruction should not play Badminton, this is disapoint me :p.. I guess i understand it wrongly :D

You know there is a new post for personal video, i would like to record me perform and share it, who knows i could improve more ;)

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thanks. We cleared up that confusion. People with ACL reconstruction can go back to badminton;)

Hmm, your knee stretch a bit too much? How interesting. Did you play a lot of sport at the time of your ACL injury?

I wonder if your reconstructed ACL is a little long so there is more movement. Under normal activity, it would not be a problem but with the stresses of sport, you can feel what is not quite right with the knee.

Ocassionally, some people do need to have a second reconstruction using the double bundle technique.

17. trickflick

trickflick Regular Member

HS
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    haha. i've never seen such a DIRECT and TERSE comment. i'm not saying what you said is bad, i'm just saying that it caught me off guard lol. really unexpected. you ARE right tho :D:D:D

18. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    double bundle technique--> Heard about Dr.FU from Pittsburgh is the best for this procedure. Going to have him perform my KNEE with my Health insurance once i get it. I have a precondition ACL, so it tough to get health insurance. That will be $30,000 for the fix is my estimate..hopefully i can get it down to $20,000 cash up-front...

19. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    My knee stretch too much, i mean was that sometimes i pivot it while play badminton and i can feel something stretch too much.

I dont play anything after the ACL accident (about 1999) and got reconstruction (like the clips someone shows from the youtube) at 2001

I think I start Badminton at 2005 :)

About second reconstruction is one thing i am not sure, I am from Indonesia, my reconstruction happen while i am studying at Australia.. So the doctor only give me a simple explanation.. he said after 2 years, do whatever you like until it snap and comeback, no sports to be avoid off, but better to avoid any body contact sport..

20. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Can you guys tell me more about double bundle technique?