Playing with glasses

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ckaSVEN, Nov 23, 2008.

1. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

For some reason, I can't find the 'make a poll' option which sort of sucks because I really wanted to see how many people would answer about this. But I was wondering how many people actually play with glasses, if they professionally or for fun, and what their overall input on them are. I'm talking about actual glasses that are prescribed so that people can see instead of the protection glasses. If you do wear glasses, do you wear contacts instead on purpose when you know you are actually going to play badminton? My eyesight has gotten really bad over the past year because of playing games on the computer, and now I have to always wear my glasses to see. I do not have contacts and am beginning to play badminton. I checked out my city's local badminton club last Monday and saw no one who wore glasses of any type, there were about 10 players. Do they really set you back or even fall off when you play? What's your input?

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    you can tie your glasses with a string so that the glasses don't fall off. I take my glasses off because they fog up so i can't see.

3. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

Do you play indoor or outdoor? How do they fog up? If my eyesight was how it was 1+ year ago, I would definitely take off my glasses for playing since I only started off wearing glasses for far sight/driving but now I need to wear them for even close up seeing and even badminton.

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Indoor. Sweat makes the glasses fog up.

5. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I used to wear glasses when I play but now I use contacts so the glasses wouldn't really bother me. I saw some people have these goggles they use, kinda like tennis goggles. i wonder what are the functions of them...

6. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

I wear contact lens when I'm playing games. But if I do not bring my contact lens I have to wear glasses to play. When I'm playing with glasses, it won't fog up until the time I finish my game. Once I stop playing, the glasses will fog up. But nowadays I seldom play with glasses already

7. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    contact lens is the best to use during a game...
    spectacles often fall off, or cause uncomfortable feeling.

8. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Chen Hung Ling plays with his glasses on.. ;)

9. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

Maybe I haven't sweating hard enough for my glasses to fog up yet. For the people who said they used to wear glasses but now wear contacts (or anyone really), when you switch back to your glasses (for when you forget you contacts or something), do you think they hold you back and cause a disadvantage while playing? I just Google'd Chen Hung Ling and the first thing that pops up is a thread on here saying that was described by a commentator as the Taiwanese Harry Potter woo Taiwanese pride.

10. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    I wear glasses and they cause me no problems whatsoever. Good fitting glasses should never fall off, and lenses really shouldn't steam up.

I have however seen people have to stop because contacts have fallen out, which I find somewhat ironic.

11. easy34

easy34 Regular Member

Student
    Me too, i wear glasses since i was in eleventh grade, so it just feels natural and doesnt feel uncomfortable. Mines dont fog off but tend to fall off a bit because off the sweat...

I've noticed too that not so many professionnal players do wear glasses...

12. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

I've just sort of recently began wearing my glasses all the time except for when I'm on my computer. Sometimes when playing flag football or anything the glasses somewhat hold me back and make me miss catching when looking up and around. So maybe I'll just try wearing my glasses almost all the time so it feels more natural too me.

That's really ironic that you see people who have had to stop because of their contacts falling out haha. I think I have my next appointment with my eye doctor in January or February, so maybe I might consider getting contacts.

13. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    My experience with both:
    Glasses:
    1. On hard games, I had sweat drops on the glass. Solution: head bands ;)
    2. Didn't fog up or move.
    3. Potential issue: when shuttle directly above head, there's the "vision gap" in glasses.
    Contacts:
    1. No vision gap
    2. No water drops on glass (no glass to drop on! :p)
    3. If the contacts aren't fitting, it can move, resulting in blurry vision
    4. You can get conjunctivitis if unlucky when playing with flu or unlucky clash (had a black eye + conjunctivitis last year).

14. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    ive been playing badminton with my glasses and to be honest i find it to be fine never get the sweat droping onto the lense or the fogging up. the only thing that might be considered a pain to people is that you need to take them off to whipe your face but meh i dont mind its not like im whipping my face mid rally anyways. there are lots of players who do wear glasses too but also lots that wear contacts...seems lots of badminton players dont have the best vision.

15. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    I wear glasses and have no problem (I play for several hours). Go to your optometrist to adjust your glasses.

Also I think you can get Racquet Ball protective lenses and change the lenses with prescribed ones.

16. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I have glasses, I wear prescription Oakley's though.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Spectacles that use glass lens and foldable arms are not suitable for badminton, because they are just too heavy. Modern spectacles use scratch-resistant high quality plastic lens and very thin and light titanium arms that are not foldable. These type of spectacles weigh almost nothing, say at only 8g. Also they do not fog because plastic lenses are not as cold as glasses.

18. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

in our club, two players wear glasses during games. no issue or whatsoever. one player tried contact lenses, and one of the two pieces fell off one time during the game, which was quite a challenge for us to find the missing piece. he did notice quite an improvement.

19. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    I have played with both contacts and glasses.

At first I played with glasses and I agree that there is sometimes a vision gap during play.
    It was mainly this when I thought i should get contacts.
    However even though contacts are great, one time I wasnt expecting a lift at all, then I looked up really quick to the shuttle and the contact lens on my left eye suddenly vanished. I thought it dropped so spend a few mins on court looking for it however in the end it was in the corner end of my eye. And I get infections as well.

So i changed back to glasses and havent had any problems. My glasses dont steam up, need occasional clean from times and not really affected with the vision gap.

20. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    I Always wear glasses during play. A good fit is essential, and has always been (almost 25 years badminton) my most important requirement when buying new ones.
    Sometimes the glasses shift a bit and need to be put back into place after a good rally in the havy sweat phase, but mostly that is a sign to re-adjust or replace them.
    With new glasses, i need a week or 2 on the court to be fully counsious of all exact measurements of the court.
    On one occasion in doubles, positioned at the net, my opponent smashed into my glasses from just a meter or 2 :(. The hit on the glass was so hard that it got out of the frame. I was (am) so happy to had the glasses on. My eye was ok and the glass could be clicked into the frame again... so the game (training session) could continue.:eek:
    Never tried contact lenses btw.