Yonex - Sunrise Singapore Open Badminton Championships 2002

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2002' started by modious, Jul 16, 2002.

1. modious

modious Regular Member

Just a reminder to those living in Singapore..........

The Yonex-Sunrise Singapore Open, formerly known as the Konica Cup, co-organized by Singapore Sports Council (SSC) and Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) attracted top shuttlers from all over the world. In last year's Open, the fans were treated to breath-taking top class badminton actions displayed by top shuttlers like Taufik Hidayat, Peter Gade , Gopichand , Chen Hong and many more.

The Yonex-Sunrise Singapore Open 2002 promises to be a even bigger affair with players hailing from China, Indonesia, Korea, Thailand, Japan, Malaysia, India, Singapore, Denmark, England, Hong Kong, and many more. SSC clearly stamps its ambition and commitment to expand the event into a truly world class marquee sporting event.

Click here for more details.

2. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

The official website was already up since 21 June, 2 months before the tournament!!

I'm really very impressed with the efforts put in this time round. Huge posters and banners everywhere, and they are even going to have roadshows to promote the event. I wonder how the roadshows will be like. Haha. What's more, I was really surprised when I found out that Pan-Pac would be the official hotel, as compared to the one in Geylang last year. Gosh. :p Hopefully their efforts would pay off and the size of the crowd would significantly increase.

3. modious

modious Regular Member

Yes, and I noticed that the pricing for student tickets increased from $2 to $21 as well!! Not mentioning the adult pricings....

4. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Yes... I am waiting for this event too....
    Heard that Peter Gade won't be coming for this tournament..
    But he will go for US Open...

5. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Those in Singapore considering going, go!! I went for last year for both the Singapore Open and the Asia Cup, excellent learning experiences.

I may be slow, but haven't found any good sites on the net for fast news, i read this morning that some big names such as Taufik Hidayat, Marleve Mainaky, Hendrawan and Candra and Sigit are joining the tournament. They join the China players of Chen Hong, Xia Xuanze and Lin Dan already entered.

The Malaysian squad is not finalised but is believed to have some big names as well Wong Choon Hann to name 1. As well as India's Gopichand.

Camilla Martin also has entered into the tournament.

But for the 2nd year running Peter Gade hasn't entered..... :(

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    nauknip, you mean they really put the players in a Geylang hotel!? gosh

7. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Yes.. really... i went to the hotel last year too... met some playes there.. It was in Tristar Inn Hotel.. the one opposite the Kampong Malay Restaurant.....
    this year is in Pan Pacific... better i think... =P

8. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Byro... I went to Asia Cup and Singapore Open too.. remembered last year I made my own banner to support Indonesia... hehehehe =P It took only one hour to make... hehehe.....

you can go to
    www.yonexsunrisesingopen.org.sg
    for the latest news...

So Sigit is joinging is it?? because he didint go for Taipei Open because of shoulder injury... If he is ok alreadi... that a good news!!!!

Peter Gade wont be joining this tournaments.. instead he will join US Open.. That's waht he said in his website...

So are u going to watch also this time round???

9. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

hey hey hey... hahha. I heard the Malaysian and Danish teams moved out on their own to another hotel last year cos they were too displeased with Tristar.
    And saying that Pan Pac is better is definitely an understatement. Hahahahah.... Isn't it one of the top hotels we have here? ;)

Of course I'm going for the Sing Open too!! Once you start you can't stop. :p
    I intend to go and check out the roadshows to see what they are capable of. Hopefully the crowd will really be stronger this year.

Has anyone heard if the Koreans are coming yet? I believe most of the Asians would come because this is the best chance for coaches to evaluate their players to prepare for the Asian Games.

10. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Does anyone know of a cheaper accomodation other than Pan Pacific?

11. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    For malaysian team... the one that i know was that the team under BAM decided to stay in Paramount Hotel.. hehehe.... but not so sure about the Danish team.. I went there and saw the room actually... not that bad... but maybe small.. and maybe some people just dun like the situation tere... =P I guess so.. Pan Pacific's location si also quite strategic. then the players can also go to Suntec and Marina Square to have a good Shopping.. hehehe... hahaha.. then singapore will gain more profit if they spend more... =P does it make sense to u... =P

Hahaha.. i understand what u mean by once u start then u cant stoip.. the passion is there right... not so sure if i can go for the roadshow... when anre where is it again? i forget bout it...

Guess the biodata of who are playing in this competition will be out soon.. cos the closing date for the entries was yetedae... once they update the website then we will find out.. guess this year SBA has done better than last year in promoting this event.. do u agree??

Yup.. Singapore Open, Indo Open and China Open can be used to evaluate the performance of the players.. same like Taipei Open...

12. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

The China Open supposedly has been postponed to November from what I heard. I'm not sure how true it is tho.

The roadshows are on 1 Aug at Toa Payoh and 14 Aug at Clementi.

13. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the roadshow info... =)
    Really, China Open is postponed?? but i just went and check the IBF website and China Open could not be found at the calendar section this year.. maybe what u heard is right bauknip.. where did u hear it anywae???

14. Pebulutangkis

Pebulutangkis Regular Member

Student
    geylang hotel?? now we know why some players performed so badly, while others performed so well. its all down to SELF CONTROL. lol

15. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Yes.. but its not that kind of hotel PEbulutangkis... hehehehehehe =)

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    saw the list of entries for Singapore Open. *everybody* is there. all the top players from all the top badminton nations are participating in this event. you name it, and they are there, except for perhaps Gade.

it looks like it will be a very exciting tournament indeed. you guys are really gonna have a real treat. i am very jealous indeed!

17. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    All players should be in Singapore by now...
    and they have already started their training in Singapore Badminton Hall today...
    went jogging today and saw some people started to decorate Singapore Indor Stadium so that there will be more "badminton" atmosphere...

18. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Hi Nick,

Pan Pacific is one of the more expensive hotels in town !! If you'r looking for cheap and affordable hotels, try Hotel 81.Its really a lot cheaper. Though not in exactly 'delectable' company and neighbourhood, still nice, clean and safe.

Or you can try those that are a little less expensive than Pan Pacific like Paramount Hotel, Copthorne Orchid but nonetheless reputable hotels? A little further out of town may include Apollo and Amara. Or the 'M' Hotel.

ANA hotel and Hotel New Otani ain't too bad either.

All nice hotels and not so expensive.

#18 Gladius, Aug 18, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2002