Question about Canon EOS 1D Mark III

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by CandaceP, Nov 24, 2008.

1. CandaceP

CandaceP New Member

I apologize if I am in the wrong area for this, but I am currently pricing this camera, and sometimes I come across someone selling Canon EOS 1D Mark III Body (Jap/Eng). I have seen this camera about $300 cheaper than the US version. My question is, what is the difference? Will the camera have the same functions as US, but in Japanese language, or default Japanese language that can be viewed in English? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. event

event Regular Member

If the lower-level Canons are any indication - and I believe they are - the menus on the camera itself will be in whatever language you set it up for. The external buttons should all be icons so language shouldn't make a difference but the displays will come up in English if you set this as the default language on your options.

The big differences will be in the warranty and the manuals. Canon cameras in Korea come with manuals in Korean but the grey market ones from Japan have manuals in Japanese. You can still download the manual in English from the Canon website (incidentally, this will be an easy way to find the instructions for setting the default language for the display). The warranty is the biggie since Canon service centres are unlikely to service the camera under warranty unless you buy through that country's official channels. They should still repair the camera for a fee, however.

3. CandaceP

CandaceP New Member

Thanks a lot. That helped. :)