Shaft Stiffness

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by shaun, Jan 27, 2001.

1. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    OK, i have been wondering this for a long time:
    what is the diff b/w a stiff shaft and a more flexible shaft?
    whats the advantages/disadvantages between the two?
    cos i was shopping for a raquet. I was looking at the Yonex ISO 800 tour and the Carlton Rasmussen.
    the ISO 800 has a stiff shaft and the rasmussen has a rediculusly flexible shaft.
    is there an advantage to this kind of shaft? would it provide more power? i am looking more for a power raquet.
    oh and string tension: is it true that a tighter tension provides more power?

2. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    If you want a very stiff shaft, get a Ti-10 from Yonex. That racket can virtually hit any shot. When the racket is more stiff, it vibrates faster if you more side to side with it. Whereas a flexible shaft, when you hit it, the shaft would flex and bend to hit to shot. You want power? Get the Yonex Ti-10. This racket is head heavy for smashing. No...the higher the tension, the more control you have...the lower..the more power...so you might want something inbetween. Also for power, get a Yonex Muscle Power 100. I have that racket too and I must say that the Ti-10 moves quicker than the MP100.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I agree with you Tony in some points like the Ti-10 being a head heavy racket thats good for smashing but i have to disagree with you on the string tensions. I feel that a tight string tension produces more power. I mean try hitting the shuttle back and forth at close range, like from the service lines then you'll know what i mean.

Control is something that i personally don't have changed when i change strings at higher or lower tensions. I feel that control is a matter of getting used to the string tension.

4. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    The relationship between string tension with power and control has been seriously discussed in previous thread "What racquet to buy ?". I think Kwun has provided a very good explanation of the relationship, please check.

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Actually, the Rasmussen is pretty stiff. Carlton has a "budget" version of this racquet also, it's cheaper and softer, but the name's almost the same (I think it's Rasmussen Graphite or something) and the graphics are virtually identical. My guess you were looking at this version if you found it flexible.