I Broke my Boron 2

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by forrestyung, Jul 16, 2002.

1. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    I Broke my Boron 2 today.:(
    No crash, No creck, but suddenly lost all the power and change the shape after hit the ball. Wait for 2 minutes later, the shape return regular, but still no power!:(

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Ladies and gentlemen. please join me for a minute of silence at 4pm PST (midnight GMT) while we mourn the death of yet another great racket.

3. forrestyung

Salesman
    Thanks Kwun!

Any suggestion for replacement? I really cannot afford HK$4000 to buy a new one.

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Buy a clone :D :D

Seriously, you are out of luck unless you can come across a used one.

5. YY Fan

YY Fan Regular Member

Sales
    Dear Forrest Yung,

I am sorry to hear your valuable CN Boron 2 has "broken" recently. Please accept my sincere condolences here, as Boron 2 is actually one of the greatest badminton rackets in the Badminton legend.

Anyway, sorry for my poor English, reading from what you mentioned, it seems your Boron 2 does not really break, instead, its frame is weakened, softened and bent whenever it hits the shuttlecock.

I have ever owned one CN Boron 2 before, it served me for around 6 years before it cracked in the 12 o'clock position. Before it breaks apart, I have unstrung it and now keep it as an artifact.

I believe you have been playing with your Boron 2 for a certain years, am I right ? Frankly speaking, the frame of Boron 2 is not as stiff as one imagines, it can't stand high tension like 25 lbs. Its frame will be more soft as time goes on. Hence I only strung my past Boron 2 at 21-22 lbs. Fortunately, thanks a lot to Mr. Double, he sold me a US version Boron 2 (95% brand new) at a reasonable price 3 months ago. Now I use it solely in single.

Anyway, I suggest you unstring it and just keep it as an antique. I think Cab 21 is Boron 2's close substitute, for Cab 21 having a 7mm thin shaft and of traditional box frame design. Cab 21 is more stiff, durable and powerful than Boron 2, but Cab 21 is more head heavy (hence more powerful).

I hope it is not offending, I don't think buying a cone like Winex Boron 2 as a solution, cause Winex Boron 2 is 100% different from the real Boron 2, in terms of stiffness, carbon material, weight and hand feeling of shuttle impact. They are completely two different rackets, though Winex copies Boron 2's cosmetic. I think Winex Boron 2 will let you down, unless you just look for a racket with costmetic similar to a real Boron 2.

I hope you find my limited opinion helpful.

YY Fan

6. forrestyung

Salesman
    Dear YY Fan,

Thanks for your suggestion, I think I can adapt the head weight of Cab 21, the most import is that can Cab 21 sp support 25lbs string? Since the feel is quite good for me in 25 lbs, I also can find 1 with old logo in Tuen Mun (My favourite, I dislike the new logo).

Tonight I also have a game with double:)

7. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    YY Fan,
    Whatcha talkin' about!! :D No offence taken. I was only joking when I suggested buying a clone. I don't think you can just replace the Yonex Boron-2 with a clone since the Boron-2 is a one-of-the-kind.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    YY Fan's post is so far the best advice for folks who are experiencing post-Boron-2 destruction trauma.

it is interesting to see all these classics rackets (Boron-2, Cab20) getting to be more and more precious and valued by their owners and collectors. and then Yonex hasn't really came up with a racket so definitive that would solve the shortage problem.