Badminton entry in Microsoft Encarta

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Jul 16, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Microsoft Encarta

here is the Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia explanation of "badminton". pretty good and updated one.

2. Sidesurfer

Sidesurfer Regular Member

customer
    During play, faults include hitting the shuttle into the roof or lights, hitting it through the net, double-hitting or slinging a shot, touching the net, playing a shot by reaching over the net, and allowing the shuttle to hit the player's body. Unsportsmanlike conduct—such as intentionally distracting an opponent—will also earn a player a fault.

Can someone explain what " slinging a shot " means ?

Thanks
    Ss

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Basically catching the shuttle with your racquet and carrying it (for an instant) and then flinging it back over the net.

4. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    was doin search and digged up this one... think the definiton should go into the FAQ?

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

how much carrying is legally allowed? Can one hit the bird in one direction, and then quickly turn the racquet in another direction? How about "catching" the bird in thr racquet and "throwing" or slining it over in one continuous motion? I've done both with success by my opponents always gives me funny looks like it was an illegal move or something so I haven't done them since.

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    a) None.
    b) Yeah, no reason why you cannot hit the bird in one direction and have your racquet pointing in another direction
    c) Nope. Illegal. Remember we are play badminton here not lacrosse :D

7. bigredlemon

By B) i meant that I would start hitting the bird in one direction, but shift the angle of the racket mid-stroke so that the bird ends up moving to the opposite direction. If this is legal then.... heh heh heh... :D

8. fan

fan Regular Member

The rule of thumb is that the racquet can only TOUCHES the shuttle ONCE. You are allow to change the direction of the racquet as many times as you want, but the racquet can only hit the shuttle once. The key words are touch and once.

The rule doesn¡¯t apply to service though. To serve, the server must do it in one piece continues motion. The server can still fake a little, but the motion must be continues. In that case, the racquet can only move in one direction, but you can change the pace the racquet moves. The most common you see in service is that the server moves the racquet slowly in the beginning then faster at the moment the racquet hits the shuttle or vice versa.

9. palydu

palydu Regular Member

How would you be able to "fake a little" during a serve if you're required to utilize one continuous motion?

10. bigredlemon

That seems to imply "slining" the shuttle is allowed...
    :confused:

11. TTT

TTT Regular Member

actually you are allowed to touch the shuttle more than once, but has to be in one stroke...in terms of how to do that...beats me..

12. fan

fan Regular Member

Faking probably is not the right word here. Faking is discouraged in serve. What I mean is that you can change the pace of your racquet move. It is very common in double. Server acting like serving a short drop shot, at the very last moment, flipping the racquet and sends the shuttle to the backcourt. Just try to catch the opponent off guard. It is still a continuous motion, but the pace varies.

13. fan

fan Regular Member

Touch means instant contact. The shuttle and racquet break up their contact almost instantly after they made contact. ¡®Sling shot¡¯ is like the racquet ¡®holding on¡¯ to the shuttle for a while before let go.

14. fan

fan Regular Member

I know what you mean, it happened a lot in the good old days. You probably remember how the Chinese players serve in doubles back then. What they did was holding the shuttle up side down by grabbing by the shuttle head and pointed the tail/feather to the ground. Obviously, the racquet meets the feather first then the head. Technically, the racquet does hit/touch the shuttle twice-the tail then the head. But it is considered as legal. It is in one stroke. This type of serve had been banned now.

There is another situation you will see the racquet touches the shuttle more than once. It is at the net play. The shuttle usually spins and tumbles over the net. Because of the spinning, the shuttle¡¯s head can be down or side ways especially when it is still on the way up and above the net. If the racquet hits the shuttle right at that moment, which is pretty common, the racquet may hit the tail/feather first then head.

In the situation above, even the racquet hits/touches the shuttle more than once, the shuttle never lost contact with racquet before the second contact. The racquet touches the two parts of the shuttle in one stroke.

Sometime, it does look like a ¡®sling shot¡¯, but it is legal. Even the racquet touches the shuttle twice, but it still is an instant contact. The shuttle never ¡®stick¡¯ on to the racquet.