Yonex Muscle Power 22. is it a good racket?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by aadvark23, Nov 25, 2008.

1. aadvark23

aadvark23 Regular Member

student
    Hi to those who have used the MP22 can you tell me some advantages of it.
    I am hesitant to buy it, is it really good racket for tournament? I am just starting to join tournaments. Somebody tell me. I really appreciate your replies...

2. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Do you mean the original MP22 which is painted in Sky Blue, or the MP22LT which is painted in Yellow?

3. aadvark23

aadvark23 Regular Member

student
    yeah the original MP22 with the blue paint.

4. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I think it should be good for regular practice, not so good for tournament because I feel that it is kind of flex. But my friend who owns this racquet since high-school is still using it now. A lot of paint chips and involved in a lot of clashes, still holding up good. Also, he used the same racquet in school tournaments.

It really boils down to your preference. Try it in a few games see if it feels good in your hands. If you like it, bring to a tournament! :D

5. aadvark23

aadvark23 Regular Member

student
    so, flexible rackets won't hold up to tournaments? and the paint easily chips. is there a disadvantage for flexible rackets?

6. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I didn't say that the paint chips easily. I just said that he clashed a lot from day one with that racquet. And I didn't say flex racquets won't hold up, just that I don't like flex racquets....

7. jack ming

jack ming Regular Member

i used the mp22 blu painted few months ago and its alright. Medium control and power. and its tough can survive few beating

8. Backlash

Backlash Regular Member

If your going to get a lower end MP series racker then i highly suggest the MP29 Light. I have this racket and its crazy ! Here in england you can get this racket for around £20. This is an amazing price for such a good racket !

I currently have this racket strung at factory default and have had it for a year, people say that the current tension will be around 18-19 lbs ! Very low.

The control is great and the power is sooo good for a lower end racket !
    I would highly reccomend this racket above the 22, i have never tried the 22 BUT 29 is a higher number then 22 :p:p

But ye seriouse now...BUY THIS RACKET !!!

MaRk :cool:

9. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Muscle Power 22 (Blue), 22 LT (Yellow), and 29 (Black/Blue/Red) have similar specification. They all should feel about the same. However, if you are going to use these racquets in tournament, I do not recommend to keep the factory string. The factory string will only good for maximum 1 year, like Backlash's, and it will not be suitable for tournaments. After that, you should restring your racquet.

10. aadvark23

aadvark23 Regular Member

student
    i have purchased the mp22. have no choice since it was the only affordable racket for me and it comes with a free thermal bag... hayz didn't notice the 2U(little regret) but i guess i must get used to my racket if i want to improve....
    thanks for your posts...

11. Backlash

Backlash Regular Member

I am getting an armortec 900 power for christmas which will then be my main racket. I will restring my MP29 lt at 24lbs for a spare racket but i think it will highly improve it :)

MaRk

12. zeushi

zeushi Regular Member

mp22 was my first racket lol, upgraded to mp99>mp100>at700>at900
    i used it through out years and years of highschool tournies, good times... good times...

i think mp22 only comes in 2u, mine was too.
    nature of the racket is flex, heavy, and even balanced (perhaps head light), i added lead tapes on top over the course of its usage
    this is a good thing, it will train your swinging to require strength of body parts and arm, while head is not heavy nor stiff, its easier on ur wrist to do flicks, i can honestly say that racquet made my strong backhand today possible (no bragging intended)

stick with it, its a good racquet, after you're confident about ur skills, you may or may not want to change to another (usually adaptation to new racket = you will suck temporarily), now i still can play with my mp22 at good confidence to kick opponents ass, so, fundamental skills 70%, racquet 20%, string+clothing+shoes 10%

enjoy the game :D

13. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    For 2U racquets, usually the tension limit is higher than 3U. Also, it will provide greater power than 3U's. If I'm correct, MP22 2U allows you to string up to 23/24 lbs maximum.

For Yonex racquets, most of them should come with bags unless you're buying CP version, which doesn't have bags.