User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

having strung my cab20 @ 34x36 on my uncalibrated ASE just now. i am starting to understand the reasons for stringing at such high tension.

not only is it a testament of one's stringing skill, including technique, patience and consistency, it is also a huge adrenaline rush, almost akin to playing Russian roulette. anytime now the racket will just give in and then as much as a couple hundred dollar will go down the drain. any creaking sound will drive shrivers down the spine.

i am not the thrill seeking type though, after my adventure tonight, i really don't think my heart can take the stress again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    having strung my cab20 @ 34x36 on my uncalibrated ASE just now. i am starting to understand the reasons for stringing at such high tension.

not only is it a testament of one's stringing skill, including technique, patience and consistency, it is also a huge adrenaline rush, almost akin to playing Russian roulette. anytime now the racket will just give in and then as much as a couple hundred dollar will go down the drain. any creaking sound will drive shrivers down the spine.

i am not the thrill seeking type though, after my adventure tonight, i really don't think my heart can take the stress again...
    Now you've done it once, it'll be hard to walk away. It'll draw you back, calling you in the back of your mind, telling you to go higher.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And all this is when I'm having trouble getting people here to string at a measly 31 pounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The key is getting your own Shuttle Express (SE) . But make sure the crank tensioner can go up to 40 lbs or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    And all this is when I'm having trouble getting people here to string at a measly 31 pounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It was not that bad. I am sure you will restring the next frame at 31 X 33 .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i bought machine pro,s pro pilot 2nd hand, the tension head was not correct so i strung my ns9k sp with carlton ag66 at 35x38 it was fine 1st string job too, however to tight for me so cut them out a week later, i have strung the same racket lots of times since, to test strings out or just because i have broken them, and no probs with racket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to know I am not the only person feeling this way. I am not so lucky though. My SOTX CP5000 produced an extremely loud "...KaPannnnng.." when pulling my second last bottom cross (I did my cross from top to bottom). Nowadays, I am still freaking out when I hear the creaking sound. I am just a crappy stringer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD View Post
    The key is getting your own Shuttle Express (SE) . But make sure the crank tensioner can go up to 40 lbs or more.
    LOL because you never know when you might need to go above 40 on a badminton only machine

Still, getting a Shuttle Express is a great idea, Oldhand.

Stan, that's an awesome first string job. Even though it must have been a while ago, congratulations on that and unlucky, BadFever, you'll get better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danstevens View Post
    What racket? What stringing machine? Also, what did it play like?
    It was strung on a Gosen 3700. Mains were 38lbs centre and tapered to 37.5lbs at the edge. All crosses were 40lbs. It was tensioned with a Wise 2086 with constant pull. One of the key things is to spend extra time to mount the racket. Ensure all points are secure and even. Because once you start pulling, theres no turning back.

How did it play? It was OK. Probably could have used another pound or two (maybe next time). The racket is rated as stiff but in reality, it is fairly flexible both in the shaft and torsionally in the head. Because of this, the high string tension doesn't "feel" as high as it probably would on a stiffer racket.

Something else to consider when stringing ... prestretching the string. I know some like it, some don't. We prestretch the string manually (and I DON'T mean that 10% pre-stretch thing on the tension head) before using for stringing. It results in better retained target tension after stringing. We had done a test of this at one of our "String-Fests". Our goal was to see if a manually pre-stretched string would hold tension better than one that was used straight out of the package. In order to do this, we had two tension heads (one was the electric Wise 2086; the other was a standard crank) both calibrated by the same scale. Two identical rackets were strung back-to-back by the same naturally aspirated stringer with white BG80:

Setup 1: Crank tensioning with MANUALLY PRESTRETCHED string.

Setup 2: Constant Pull tensioning with string straight out of package.

Result: Both rackets had near identical string tones immediately after coming off the machine. After a short sitting period (~ 1 hour), the one from Setup 2 already had a lower tone than that of Setup 1. So what we learned is that not even the electric constant pull can pull out all the stretch. That means if you're not manually pre-stretching your strings before tensioning, your final tension will be lower on the racket. Nothing wrong with that but just something to know. Anyways, happy stringing to all! ps. Hey Pete LSD: you've missed out on a few StringFest sessions already ... you better come to the next one or we're coming to invade your place and your new machine!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2-YOTA View Post
    It was strung on a Gosen 3700. Mains were 38lbs centre and tapered to 37.5lbs at the edge. All crosses were 40lbs. It was tensioned with a Wise 2086 with constant pull. One of the key things is to spend extra time to mount the racket. Ensure all points are secure and even. Because once you start pulling, theres no turning back.

How did it play? It was OK. Probably could have used another pound or two (maybe next time). The racket is rated as stiff but in reality, it is fairly flexible both in the shaft and torsionally in the head. Because of this, the high string tension doesn't "feel" as high as it probably would on a stiffer racket.
    Could've used an another pound or two, are you for real? Saying that, I'd love to see a 42Lbs string job.

Thanks for the information anyway.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danstevens View Post
    Now you've done it once, it'll be hard to walk away. It'll draw you back, calling you in the back of your mind, telling you to go higher.
    i will try out the 34x36lbs cab20 tonight. i expect my arm to fall off due to the high tension and from then on, i won't even be able to string any rackets not to say high tension ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40 seems like a nice round number.
    actually 40 sounds like a board to me

Master Pete never ceases to amaze

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Master kelvin, you have to take into account that tension drops down to about 37 lbs after lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    actually 40 sounds like a board to me

Master Pete never ceases to amaze

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ehhh, this Sunday?

Hey Pete LSD: you've missed out on a few StringFest sessions already ... you better come to the next one or we're coming to invade your place and your new machine!
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 04-06-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD View Post
    Ehhh, this Sunday?
    That just might work out! I'll check with the other stringers to see if they're all available. PM you later.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ps. Hey Pete LSD: you've missed out on a few StringFest sessions already ... you better come to the next one or we're coming to invade your place and your new machine!
    has *the* new machine arrived yet? how come no photos posted??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has *the* new machine arrived yet? how come no photos posted??
    Sunday: If Pete can haul his new one over, I'll try to break a few strings tonight and bring my SE over with body armor. I heard another local got an Eagnas crank. Some serious stringfest could be brewing. We'll take photos.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast