Another "which racket suits me."

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by dubber, Nov 28, 2008.

1. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    So Ive recently taken up badminton again, played it rather competetively during my teens but quit after a broken arm and other circumstances when i was 16. Im now 23 and been playing doubles as a standin for about 2 years and the last 6 months Ive been a regular since one of em quit. Thought this was so fun so I took up some singles play again too but theyre world aparts in racket selecting.

My racket I play doubles with is a wilson ncode n3 i believe it was wich I got from a friend who works at the shop in the arena i play in but i felt it lacked the power i need in singles so I went ahead and got me a Head metallix 2000.

Now the wilson is awesome for doubles light enough for excellent control but it lacks too much power for me in the smash.

The head is awesome in power but it lacks control in the net play, with my usual stroke the wilson goes 10 cm over the net and if i where to do the same stroke with my head it would be 10 cm below the net. Both rackets are strung with some other string other then the stock string that comes with the rackets but i do not know wich strings since thats is over the top knowledge for me and my friend works with it so i trust him to know what to do.

What im asking of you all is to give me some advice on a racket that sits somewhere in between these two, my prefered way of playing is offensively but that as all knows does not mean i can ignore the net play.

I know this is hard for you all to point out just that one racket wich would suit me but im asking for some guidance atleast so I know where to look for testing new rackets so I dont have to go over their entire stock of rackets and I dont feel like paying for the top of the line rackets did that when i was competing and Ive broken to many of em to be worth it as I mostly play for the exercise now wich means no competitions.

Thankful for any advice you may have and please ignore my poor english not my native language :p

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Firstly, your English is excellent, much better than my Swedish :D

Now, on to racket advice. The Karakal MTec 80 is a good allround racket. The Apacs Edgesaber 10 is good too. The Yonex Muscle Power 99 would be a good choice. There are loads! Perhaps if you gave a more specific budget, I could give a better recommendation.

3. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician

Well its hard to say, I enjoy badminton enough to spend some on the racket but then again I dont know what rackets go for these days last time I played I had a racket that went for like around 140 GBP (Not entirely sure on the exchange rate from SEK to GBP).

I was thinking around the area of 100 GBP or so +/- some ofc.

4. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    There are plenty of choices of more "even balanced" or "all around" rackets within the Yonex line. Just to name a few good ones...MP99, Arc10, NS9000S are ones that I would recommend. As to other brands, other forum members will point out.

5. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

Apacs Edge-saber10 great =D...

6. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Although Yonex is the main player in the badminton industry, there are many other brands that you can choose from. But, I still like Yonex more....

7. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

AT900T - perfect for you

if you want to save money APACS Visible Hollow? - appears to be very similar to the AT900T per specs

8. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    Heh been out of it along time it seems, never heard of any rackets called APACS, yonex I know of but never used. I always used prince rackets but their popularity seems to have gone down quite a bit and where I play they dont even sell them anymore.

Since im not that into the racket scene I guess At900t is a shortening of armortec 900 technique or am I wrong?

Also if you can be bothered with it could you please give me a link or two to online dealers that would ship to sweden since Ive never seen apacs in any store around here, all Ive seen is head, wilson, babolat, yonex ofc and Ive actually started to see some carlton again aswell.

#8 dubber, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  9. Backlash

Backlash Regular Member

Well Muscle Power 99 is a great racket, it's light and very powerfull !
    This makes it perfect for a doubles/singles racket as the control is very nice yet power is not at all compromised.

Try: http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/...article=0150_Yonex+Muscle+Power+99+=283100=29

If you are going to buy it i suggest buying it now as its reduced to £65 GBP from £110 !

After just checking yes im pretty sure shipping to sweden can be done :]

MaRk

EDIT: Check out the MP99 reviews from this forum : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/3/sort/2/cat/50/page/1

#9 Backlash, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  10. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    Well looking through the reviews this sounds like the racket Ive been searching for =) and for that price I might aswell just buy it and try it since it cost about the same as my metalixx 2000.

Just to bother you all some more :p Is there by any chance a dealer who carries both mp-99 and babolat k-lite ? Im getting my father one of those for x-mas since hes currently wielding my old spare racket wich has to be atleast 7 years old now and when he forgot to bring one day and tried one of those babolats he really felt the difference =).

11. Backlash

Backlash Regular Member

w00t !

Ye the racket you were looking for !

Ye the reviews are great for it and its a very cheap price atm !

About the babolat, that sight doesnt do it so it's probably best to get it somewere else. Just make sure you get the MP99 from the sight i suggested as its at such a great discount. Ill have a look around for you concerning the other racket :)

MaRk

12. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    Oh my bad thought the discount were for the racket so to speak not the site but I guess I should have figured that out by myself :eek:

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    MP99 is a great racket indeed, but its in the end of life cycle of models, so i would hesitate to go for that.

For singles you could try the Head metallix 10000 . it is much stiffer than 2000, so it will give you better control & power.

Wilson N2 is a good racket, so honestly i don't feel you should have any power issues with it.. What strings / tension do you play with? It is alway nice with new toys (rackets :) ) .. but honestly the racket is just 95%.. 5% is still skill :D :D

/Twobeer

14. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Twobeer, I am surprised you never recommend the best racquet in the world ? You know which one I am referring to ;p

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    haha.. I want to have an edge if I meet in competitions :cool:

Jokes aside.. I realize Mizuno are not widely available.. and for most people importing from overseeas with taxes, import duties etc. can be a hazzle :)

/Twobeer

16. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

hehe... I think you got your figures flipped.

17. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    Well even if the mp-99 is at its end why hesitate if its such a good racket and for that price (lite drygt 700 kr) so unless theres a racket as good as the mp-99 as I read in the reviews and for that price sure ill look into it but I just havent found any ^^.

18. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Cab30, IMHO, trounces the mp99 once you factor in the price. :D:D

19. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    Factor in the price? Found it at one site and it cost 109 vs the mp99`s 60 :p

20. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    Even though the MP99 is at the end of its model life cycle, it won't be hard to get them. At least for awhile anyways.