help me choose: MP77 or MP88 and string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Jadis, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Jadis

Jadis Regular Member

student
    Hi,

This is my first post, first of all, great forum. I'm going to be buying a new racket soon, and have browsed the forums a lot, after all my research I have these questions and concerns, and have narrowed down my choice to either some model of the Yonex MP77 or MP88:

I guess you could call me an advanced beginner. I have a lot of trouble generating power and steepness on my smashes (I guess due to technique, or lack of it). Although lately my fast drops,cross shots, fake-out mind games have been getting much better. Basically, I have to rely on control/placement of the shuttle if I want to win since my smash sucks so bad. I'd like to increase the power of my smashes. So that's the kind of player I am.

I'm thinking I'd like to invest in a nice racquet, my current one (a Black Knight UltimaTi) is getting a bit chipped up and ugly. I've narrowed my choice down to either the MP77 or MP88. Since I'm not rich, I'm a little worried about durability too, don't want the racquet breaking after a few months.

At first, I was thinking of getting a MP77 2U version, the 2U would be more durable than a 3U, and it is cheaper than the MP88. But on the other hand, the MP88 is supposedly more flexible, that'd help me with generating power. But the MP88 only comes in 3U and 4U, so it'd be less durable. Also, the MP88 is more expensive.

And what string tension to string it at? My current racquet is at BG65 at 22lbs. I plan on putting BG80 on the new racquet, it seems to have nice qualities, especially since I play with feather shuttles.

So that's it, could you guys help me?

thanks!

2. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    power and control?
    sound to me that you would like mp100 or ti10 better...
    abt strings, i dont know much, but i find they find they only give very marginal difference, hardly noticeable...

but in my opinion, stay away from bg65 and 65ti...
    dont ask why, i just dont like em..

tension? this is a hard part... if i were you, just string it at a tension that you feel is nice... and then slowly adjust... it takes a lot of money when at the experiment stage, but once you know which tension suits you, you wont be bothered abt it anymore !

=)
    hope this helps

3. Jadis

Jadis Regular Member

student
    I can't afford a MP100, otherwise that'd be a no brainer LOL

4. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Well have you ever considered buying a different brand than Yonex?
    Since you say that you are on a budget, you won't get a very good racquet. But that's just personal preference.
    Also, all racquets are made durable. People only break their racquets because of many reasons, and yes, some of them are stupid reasons.
    If you want a cheap racquet, you can go try the Cab series. IMO, those are the most durable Yonex racquets.

5. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day Jadis,

It all depends on your style of play and what kind of game you play most. I am fortuntate enough to be happy owner of MP-100, 77s, Ti-10 as well as having access to other good Yonex rackets, so I guess I can contribute to your queries here.

If you play mostly doubles and used to using less head-heavy racket, than I would go for the MP88 over MP77. From my brief use of MP88, I find it to be very fast manueverability, with excellent control and feel. The lighter weight of the racket obviously contribute greatly here, but I also believe the weight bais away from the racket head makes a big difference. The only weak point I can say about MP88 is slightly lesser performance in smashes, clears and drives when compared to MP77.

But if your aim is to have really strong smashes, and you already possessing good techniques, then MP77 might be the way go. I have 2 of these and these are TANKS of my entire racket collection. They are solid (note: not heavy, but they have very head-heavy bais) durable and extremely powerful and with right strings and tension, I have had best success playing doubles game with the MP77. The downside of the MP77 is where MP88's excels. So the choice is yours.

I would actually recommend BG85 over BG80, for the simple fact that I find the BG85 a little more durable, as BG80 cuts into each other very badly in a short time and fray like hell, with rapid deteriation of performance soon after. Both strings, in my opinion, are made for players who wish to string highish tensions. I find that they work best strung 23lbs onwards, and if strung with less tension they don't feel any superior to other cheaper strings like BG66. But if durabilty of string at high tension is priority, stick with BG65.

Hope this will help :)

6. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

All in the technique...

You can choose a muscle man smash with the wrong technique or have a man with no distinct body figure and smash with properly trained smashing technique? I would pick the normal guy to have a better more powerful smash. If one actually takes lessons concentrating on smashing technique you would definitely improve. I took some lessons and my smashing technique improved dramatically. Small minor corrections in the swing motion really helps. Jadis, taking lessons and practicing the right techniques will definitely improve your overall game.

7. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

My suggestions ...

Hi, Jadis, I happen to be an advanced beginner too. So here are my humble opinions. You’d need a racquet you can grow with. MP-88 is a light, flexible and comfortable racquet, but I think you’d outgrow MP-88 in a short time. Its durability is also questionable. It looks like the most delicate and fragile racquet I’ve ever seen (but very nice looking :)). If you have enough $$ only for one racquet, you should not get MP-88. If you insist on 3U racquets, I’d suggest Ti SP SR or SS, especially the SS. They are sturdier, have excellent control and very good power for their weights. Their price is almost the same as MP-77 (??). MP-100 and Ti-10 also come in 3U weight but I’m afraid they may be too stiff for you. They are for me.

If you’d want to go with 2U, I’d suggest ISO 750 Muscle. It’s the most comfortable 2U racquet I’ve ever held in my hand. I’ve played with it too and it has very good control and power. Its flexibility is about the level of MP-88 and Ti SP SR. It’s cheaper than MP-77. MP-77 may be hard for an advanced beginner in terms of control/placement because it’s too head heavy … and it’s stiff too. I have not played with it … just had a few swings in a store.

MP-55 is also another good racquet for advanced beginners with a reasonable price. I’d have bought it if it were the long version.

Overall, I’d suggest Ti SP SS or ISO 750 Muscle (maybe MP-55 too but I have not played with it so I’m not sure). Ti SP SS would be the best.

8. Jadis

Jadis Regular Member

student
    thanks guys, that helps a lot

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My experience with the durability of Bg 80 vs Bg 85 is that Bg 85 has a much shorter lifetime.

10. Biogentic

Biogentic Regular Member

student
    I got a question, u have put that u can afford a MP88 racquet, it cost abt $220 SIN dollars but MP100 cost only RM440 which is only $210 the most Sin Dollars? Why u can`t afford it or iszit USA Yonex will not follow the pricing as in other countries

11. Jadis

Jadis Regular Member

student
    Hey,

An MP88 would cost roughly $120 US dollars, an MP100 would easily cost me $150 dollars. The MP77 is $100.

12. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    not much for me, the difference almost the same or bg-80 slightly longer