Upgrading from Arc10

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by eyky1618, Dec 1, 2008.

1. eyky1618

eyky1618 Regular Member

Hi all

I would like to ask for some advice in upgrading or getting a spare racket. I am currently using the Arcsaber 10 with BG85 at 24lbs (Just got the gut restrung). I felt the instant increase power in the smashes from my previous BG65 @ 22lbs. FYI, I play doubles only and I think from what I have been told, for offensive players; using a heavy head racquet would fit best. (please correct me if I am wrong)

My question is; I am a hard hitter and I still feel the smashes are still too "soft". My peers have told that me the smashes are adequate but not too sure if it is reliable assessment. Hence, I am thinking of changing/upgrading to another racquet. I have read some reviews and the general concensus that I have got is that, in terms of "fire power", it is either Armortec 900P or Nano 9000X.

Can anyone please provide me with some guidelines on which to chosse?

Thanks heaps!!

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I don't really think you can upgrade from the Arc10. It's the most expensive racket from probably the most expensive racket manufacturer. It's a truly awesome racket and the one I currently play with. Before you get a new racket, get some lead or athletic tape (lead is more dense but athletic tape goes on easier) and add loads of the stuff to the head. Make it really head heavy and that will improve its smashing performance greatly.

If its power you want, go for either a leaded up Arc10 or Armortec 700. The AT700 sounds inferior to the AT900 but it's a much better attacking racket than either the AT900P or T. The NS9000X is not an attacking racket. it's head light and really quite weak unless you do what I did to mine, and add a vast quantity of lead.

3. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

Yeah don't go NS9000X for morepower if your power is lacking with the ARC10

AT900T is more powerful than the ARC10 but faster than the AT900P or AT700.

I find the AT900T to be a fantastic doubles racket with a good balance for attack and defence.

The above three are all head heavy.

4. noggin

noggin Regular Member

Software Engineer
    A couple of points. First it seems to me that what the OP and danstevens are saying is basically the same: the Arc10 is a good racquet that lacks some power. Dan's solution is to add lead tape whereas the OP is looking for a solution via a new racquet.

The lead tape solution seems reasonable if you've already paid your money for an Arc10, but if you're looking for a new racquet then to me it makes more sense to try for another model that can generate the power without being modified.

Secondly the issue of the NS9KX. Although this is a Nanospeed racquet and it says headlight on the shaft, according to the Yonex charts posted elsewhere in this forum, the NS9KX is actually slightly head heavy. Not as head heavy as the Arc10, but not head light either. Both are just on the head heavy side of even balance.

From my own personal experience I found that the NS9KX generated more power than the Arc10. The whole racquet (shaft and frame) feels a lot stiffer than the Arc10 and for me this worked better in terms of hitting it harder. The Arc10 felt too soft for me.

I also preferred the NS9KX over the AT700. For me the AT700 was just too head heavy and evidently I was too much of a wimp to produce much power from it!

I can't agree with the statement that the NS9KX is not an attacking racquet. It's the most repulsive racquet that Yonex make and I think that most people would consider it quite an attacking racquet. What I would agree is that if you like very head heavy racquets like the AT700, then you'd be unlikely to like the NS9KX. Both racquets could be considered attacking racquets, but they have very different characteristics.

I think in another thread Mr Stevens talks about making his racquets even more head heavy than they already are. What the OP needs to decide is whether he swings the racquet more like Dan (in which case something more head heavy like the AT700 or AT900P might produce the desired effect) or not (in which case the NS9KX might be better).

Finding somewhere that you can try out the racquets seems like a good idea - but I'm sure you know that already!

5. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    I don't know the specs of BG85 xD... But I believe in term of power BG80 and BG68Ti (If you like the feel) is awesome. Before you are buying another racket, I'd say you should experiment, since if you already bought one, and you disliked the new one... It would just be a waste of money in term of experiment.

Arc10 is one of the most cutting edge racket from Yonex. It has power, it has control (Actually just another racket :p:p:p:D:D:D). The question is, If you change to Armortec (700/900 are wonderful smashing racket), are you ready to lost the control from Arc10??? (I don't say ATseries is bad in Control, but as I believe and most ppl in this forum probably said the same, the AT lost to Arc in term of control).

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I recommend you look at other brands. You should look at RSL X2 Gold, SOTX W7 or W11.

7. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    The NS9000X isn't a wimpy racquet... the biggest smashers I know use it...and hit enormously hard. I find it to be weak because i dont' have the strength to handle it, but I know that since it's so demanding, it can be extremely powerful. As well, the ARC10 is no slouch in power either.

8. eyky1618

eyky1618 Regular Member

Thanks all for the advice. I might take up the idea on adding lead on the head my Arc10, and if in the next 2 months it still doesnt feel the same; AT900X/AT700 would be the next best option I presume.

I have heard that it costs around SGD180-220 for the AT's right?

Thanks again!!

9. eatwind

eatwind Regular Member

Engineer
    Arc Saber 10 is currently my favourite racket after using NS8K, NS9K, MP99, AT500, AT800Defence.

You just need to increase your string tension to 28lbs and you will feel you can hard smash like a machine gun without soring your arm.

Always follow the three steps :

1. Change the string... then
    2. Change the racket.... if still cannot, then
    3. Change the player.

Goodluck.

10. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I highly do not recommend the ns9kx... if you have to get one, try the ns9ks but still, those are extremely head light and power will only come out if you change your stroke timing which sucks because you can't exactly switch back and forth between that and your arc10. I will always suggest the At900P and if you haven't tried the Arc9 yet, give that a go... you might be suprised at how it performs when compared to the 7 or the 10.

11. Whipper

Whipper Regular Member

that's how I think, upgrade the string tension, but not directly from 24lbs up to 28lbs.

if you're a strong wristy guy, try 26lbs first, and then 28lbs.

I started from 22lbs and now at 26lbs,as below:
    2005 MP88--22lbs (for double only, very flexible)
    2005 Ti-10--24lbs (my favorite ever, got my elbow hurt when I upgraded it too fast)
    2006 AT800OF--26lbs
    2007 NS7000--28lbs (bought it from a professional's shop, and he recommended 28lbs)
    2007 NS9000X--26lbs (very nice racquet but also friable, it's broken when unfortunately hit in the shaft by my double parter)
    2008 Arcsaber10-26lbs

#11 Whipper, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  12. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

How about the same ARC10 with BG85 at 26lbs?