User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your partner can stand anywhere on the court that is not obstructing the view or play of the service or the server.

I believe they can't stand off the court because I think you're technically not allowed to leave the court without the umpires consent. Not sure about that one though because I've seen players run off the court to switch racquets in mid-rally .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the part of the Laws that is Recommendations to Court Officials
    3. Recommendations to Umpires
    3.9 Ensure that players do not leave the court without the umpire's permission. However, change of a racket at courtside during a rally is permitted.

P.S.
    If only parts of both feet are required, then players can etch forward a few inches legally so long as their heels touch the line?
    I think this would have been legal if you hadn't said "touch the line".
    If the heel is inside the service court, the toes could overhang the line. And if you were right at the back of the service court, your toes could be in the court but your heel could overhang the line.

Not particularly advisable, but legal, I think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by kwun
    yes. "planted" was a little bit strong, but hey, i thought that would emphasize my point.
    I agree that the emphasis is good to remind us always.

Remember, some "part" of BOTH "feet" MUST remain in "contact" with the court surface in a "STATIONARY' position. Just don't move your legs and body too much that you move your feet too!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by bigredlemon
    I always thought both feet has to be completely inside the service area? If only parts of both feet are required, then players can etch forward a few inches legally so long as their heels touch the line?
    Yes I think you can edge or lean forward so long as both feet remain "stationary" in contact with floor WITHOUT touching any lines. Problem is to maintain stability in such a position and not much undue advantage can be derived, except perhaps if you are a tall person, your forward stance may appear threatening and may thus pressure your opponent into serving high instead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Winex West Can
    Anywhere within the court (and probably off the court too).
    Totally agree, assuming Player B is your partner, not your receiving opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi! I haven't been around here for 1-2 years now I think. I haven't been playing as much badminton lately, as alot has happened in my life.

Anyways, I have a question and I was wondering if anyone can help me. Instead of creating a new thread, I decided to bring back an old thread instead so as not to waste forum space.

Recently, I was watching a game at a highschool where the matches are supposed to follow the official world badminton rules. (I seem to can't find the lawbook, or else I would be looking it up myself. The link in this thread that links to the lawbook is dead)

One of the players served. She swung the racket, but she never came in contact with the bird (Basically she missed)! Does she get a reserve or is it a fault?

I had always learned that if you served and u missed the bird without touching it, you'd get 1 reserve. I've always followed that rule, but now that I think of it, it might have been a courtesy rule I have picked up on the courts in the past 5 years I have been playing, and not an official rule.

Can anyone confirm if this is an official rule in the rulebook or just something I picked up?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonten
    One of the players served. She swung the racket, but she never came in contact with the bird (Basically she missed)! Does she get a reserve or is it a fault?
    In badminton it is a fault.

It varies between sports
    In golf, if you swing and miss the ball , it counts as a stroke.
    In tennis, if you miss the ball on a serve, I think it is not a fault and you can serve again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in tennis, u'll get a 2nd chance to serve if u toss the ball up and failed to contact it at all. its counted as a let i believe.

not so sure about in badminton though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=tonten]

One of the players served. She swung the racket, but she never came in contact with the bird (Basically she missed)! Does she get a reserve or is it a fault? QUOTE]

It is a fault and you can find the answer under the Laws of Badminton, Law 9.3, which says:

It is a 'fault' if the server, in attempting to serve, misses the shuttle.

You can download the Laws of Badminton from the IBF website:

www.worldbadminton.net

Click on the "Rules & Laws" on the left and choose the subject 'Laws of Badminton'.

I always carry a copy of the Laws during my badminton sessions for easy reference and to help settle disputes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timeless
    Your partner can stand anywhere on the court that is not obstructing the view or play of the service or the server.

I believe they can't stand off the court because I think you're technically not allowed to leave the court without the umpires consent. Not sure about that one though because I've seen players run off the court to switch racquets in mid-rally .
    just wondering, if a player break the string in mid-rally, does that rally get stopped and repeated again after the player switch racket or does the opposition gets the point???

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Woven
    just wondering, if a player break the string in mid-rally, does that rally get stopped and repeated again after the player switch racket or does the opposition gets the point???
    Hard Luck! So sorry, but I think that player will have to continue to play with his broken-string racket until the rally stops. For all you know, he might be able to win the rally. If he stops and does not attempt to return his opponent's shot, he just loses the rally, which could mean either a service or a point against him. He can change to a new racket after that particular rally.

Another example is that of a player who suffered an injury (it could be just an ankle sprain or something more serious) during a rally. He can't request the umpire to stop the rally and replay the point after he has recovered or attended to. Remember, some unsporting players can feign injury too, just to disrupt the rally and his opponent's rhythm. If the injured player can't continue, he will have to concede a walkover to his opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm im wondering, if im playing with Nylon birds and the Cork Pops off during play, is it a reserve or where ever the birdie lands at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can someone answer this question?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

certainly

RTFM

it is a let if, during play, the shuttle disintegrates and the base completely separates from the rest of the shuttle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*fine* manual ... FINE.

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wood_22_chuck
    *fine* manual ... FINE.

-dave
    lol it is a very fine manual indeed

coops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    in other words. you feet must be planted on the floor before your opponent hits the shuttle. and more specificly, they must be in the service court and not touching the lines either.

so your friend is correct.

you can find the complete Laws of badminton in http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badm...aws/laws.shtml. it is a good and interesing read, you will find a lot of things that you didn't know before. all badminton players should read through it completely at least once.
    This link is not working. Can you pls provide me an alternate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast