Around-the-head Shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chrisgin, Jul 19, 2002.

1. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    What's the correct technique for playing around-the-head shots? I can't really play them unless the shuttle is quite close to me. I've tried practising some at home but I find I can't get any sort of power with my body being in that position (stretching to the left). In fact sometimes I wrist hurts if I try too hard so obviously I'm not using the right technique.

Do you need to change your grip or do anything different than a normal shot? How far left (assuming a right hander) should you try to be reaching? Maybe I'm trying to reach too far instead of using footwork to get close to the shuttle?

Chris

2. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I don't use any different technique for round the heads. I don't change my grip or anything like that. Actually, I found that my round the head technique was better than my normal forehand technique because I would pronate my forearm on round the heads. Now I pronate my forearm on all forehands possible, and it equals great power. :)

How do you practice at home? I wish I had a private court. :D You say that you get hurt sometimes attempting round the head. Make sure you stretch before playing to give your muscles some flexibility.

Hmmm...the best advice I can give you is just hit it as naturally as you can without falling over. The farthest over I'll usually reach for a round the head is with my forearm parallel to the ground, and my upper arm around the right side of my face. (I am right-handed) It may also depend on the situation. If I am really aggressive, I may reach farther. If I'm relatively safe, I may just backhand drop it.

Hope this helps.

Phil

3. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    Hmm, I guess this is something I'll probably have to get someone to show me in person (it's pretty hard describing an action like this in words).

I just find that it feels totally unnatural and that I just can't find a way to swing my racquet hard when my body's in that position. With a normal forehand shot, you lead in with your elbow with your wrist cocked and then snap your wrist to generate power, but for a round-the-head shot you can't lead in with your elbow or swing your arm much (or can you?). How do you get the same whippy action you get with a normal forehand? Is it 100% wrist?

Chris

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Yes it is mostly wrist, because a large part of your arm is behind you, therefore if you go to move your arm, you'll whack yourself in the head. The thing i can suggest is this. Stand in the middle of the court, with your partner on the opposite side standing to your left at the net. Make sure you have quite a few shuttle. Get ready in the middle, tell your feeder to play a lift to your back hand side, and play a round the head shot. There is no real way to practise, just continuous training until you get it right. The technique i just said will help you, but you need to do this very often.

Hope this helps
    Matt

5. modious

modious Regular Member

Footwork is also very important as you must get behind the shuttle in order to hit it.
    Unless you're trying to intercept at the front (in doubles).... which means usually you won't have time to get behind the shuttle and have to stretch sideways sometimes to intercept the shuttle.

6. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    Ah, I think I know what my problem is now. For some reason I thought you could play a round-the-head shot when the shuttle is quite far to your left (for a right hander) by stretching out to reach it. But from what matt and modious have said, the shuttle should be quite close to you by the time you hit it (e.g. above left shoulder?) and that you have to use footwork to get yourself into that position. I guess if you're intercepting something at the front of the net then stretching is okay as you don't need to hit it very hard.

7. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

If it is very far to your left, leave stretching and play it on your backhand. The best thing to do is raise your right arm, put it against your head and then lean to your left slightly. This, i would say, is about the correct position to take the shuttle. If you are fast, you COULD get there quickly and take those more awkward shots. Mind you, i'm not one to talk, i have played 2 consecutive round the head shots in a match once that was just above waist height, and because of this was able to drive is from a round the head shot. You would have to be there to believe it, i had people come on and say they thought i was going to snamp my back i leaned so far to my left. It all depends on your agility and suppleness.

Matt

8. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I once went to a badminton camp headed by a man who would go on to become a national coach. He instructed us to hit the 'round-the-head with our non-hitting side--left side for right-handers--facing the net, that is, with the back roughly parallel to the left sideline. I can't say I've become proficient with that--I still hit most 'RTH shots while facing the net.

I think, as with any overhead, it's best to get the shuttle with full extension, leaning as much as necessary. The farther the shuttle drops, the more you have to rely on forearm power. I'm amazed at how hard some players can hit a shuttle when the elbow is bent 90 degrees.

9. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    If you want to see RTH shots, watch Mia Audina play. She's so flexible, she hardly plays an overhead backhand.

Phil

10. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    For RyviuS

RyviuS,

Heres a couple of pics would should help you know and realise the technique of round the head.

Matt

Attached Files:

11. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    How about this one ..

Attached Files:

• rthc.jpg
      rthc.jpg
      File size:
      20.3 KB
      Views:
  12. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    Thanks for posting the pics. These clearly show that the shuttle should be hit roughly above the non-hitting shoulder, which I can do fine. I guess I either have to improve my footwork to get into that position, or just stick to my backhand....

13. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

dont think of it as - your arm giong around your head

think of it as a normal clear/smash swing but lean back

your arm isn't really going around your head.... your raquet might but your arm should swing almost the same way as w/a (in the middle) shot

its only a true *Around the head* swing if your covering the net and u hit a drive that way

14. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

i occasionally practice all my techniques in the mirror

i have a large mirror in my basement i use to perfect my motions, footwork .. swings etc.

i practiced the round-the-head shot alot especially becuase i didn't feel i had much power when smashing this way.. its mainly i believe that my body is not accustomed to leaning over that way.. its a very demanding shot to have to hit while playing...

when i practice in a mirror i'm trying to do the entire *shot* including including the footwork for the seteup and recovery back to center

apon doing this particular shot over many times (slowly) in the mirror, it becomes much less awkward and far more comfortable.. better posture, balance and eventually more powerfull.

if you dont have a mirror?
    you can use your shaddow

hope that helps

15. RyviuS

RyviuS Regular Member

ouu good stuff, need to practice practice now

16. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    One way to avoid playing a backhand shot

How about this for a round the head shot

Mia has always been known for her extreme flexibility. Amazing. :eek:

Attached Files:

17. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Re: One way to avoid playing a backhand shot

And you have to have very strong calves to get the landing right when you are leaning that far back.

18. Areys

Areys Regular Member

Re: One way to avoid playing a backhand shot

Imagine what she'd be like in the sack. :-D
    *wink wink* *nudge nudge* saynomore

A Reys

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    really off topic

would this prove badminton players make great lovers!!

20. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

well, i've been training for a while now....and my coach told me that when you do an "around the head shot", you have to adjust your grip depending on the angle you want to hit it. Remember how people tell you not to use the panhandle grip? Well, for this shot, to drive or somewhat smash the bird around the head, by using this grip, you should be able to get better control and accuracy... whereas when not using that grip, you might hit the bird out if you are close to the boundry lines on the left side.

As wrong as that sounds, my canadian coach was told that technique by china's former national team coach when he visited canada. Just try it, if it doesn't work, you can always discard the technique