Different Trajectory for Smashing (AT900P)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by habsq, Dec 4, 2008.

1. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
    I just got my hand to a Yonex AT900P strung with nanogy 95 (around 23lbs). My previous racket were MP100, Carbonex 8100, and MP21 (factory string). With AT900P, I have a tremendous power that I haven't experienced before. However, in order to do a good smash, I had to give up my original trajectory and hit the birdie slightly lower than I used to.

My questions are:
    1. Is this a common situation among AT900P user?
    2. If yes, what could be possibly causing this? The stiffness of the racket? The technique that I used?
    3. If not, what else may caused this? The tension of the string perhaps?

Thanks and sorry for such a noob questions :)

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The timing is different so the height you hit it will be different. The stiffness also plays a factor.

3. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    This not only happens to AT900 users. From my experience I think stiffness and weight are the factors. If you're used to a stiff 2U racket most likely your smash will improve with a medium stiff 3U racket.

4. surge

surge Regular Member

if you are smashing harder works well each time, stick to it! why bother what trajectory?
    of cos unless you new method is causing you pain..then reconsider

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    This is unlikely because a smash is a smash with any racquet. In a smash the point of impact when the shuttle is being struck is in front of the body, at about one foot or so in front of the head, and when it is in line with the head or right shoulder. At point of impact your whole arm is almost fully extended. There is no such thing as a lower point of impact for the AT900P relative to an MP100. A lower point of impact, usually accompanied by a bent arm, means your smash becomes flatter. You want your smashes to be steep, as steep as possible. Steeper smashes are more deadly than flatter smashes, even if the latter are more powerful, because of the different reaction times for the defender.

6. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

My questions are:
    1. Is this a common situation among AT900P user?
    2. If yes, what could be possibly causing this? The stiffness of the racket? The technique that I used?
    3. If not, what else may caused this? The tension of the string perhaps?

1. Just practise using this racquet....once you are familar, no more problem
    2. More likely the head heaviness....your timing is off...swing too forward.
    3. see #1.

7. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
    @surge: the reason why I care about trajectory is just like what taneepak wrote

@phandrew & badmintan: I'm not quite sure what you guys meant about timing. If I try to hit the birdie on the same place then the timing should be exactly the same right?

thanks for the responses :)

8. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    this is true because different trajectory (in my opinion) is only because the point of impact and your timing is different. this could be caused by switching rackets as I have the same problem as well when i play with different rackets.

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    The answer is already in taneepak's quote.

10. surge

surge Regular Member

imagine e contact point of your smash as a piece of paper. whether you hit the paper with with a stiff rod or a whipping cane, you are going to create a hole on e paper, just a matter of higher or lower and when it hit the paper..but in order to hit at the exact same spot all the time, you may need to adjust your timing a little as the cane will whip forward causing you too hit slightly lower than if you were to hit with a stiff stick(or higher depending on when you stop you swing to hit, remember the delay is x2 since the bird is also moving towards you, rod should hit earlier at where you stop but cane will hit slightly later as the cane need to whip back into position, which may explain where you need to hit the bird lower now cos there is not delay for the stiffer racket). but the difference is very marginal. unless of course you have perfected your smash and timing.(then you wouled be able to smash so accuratly that shuttle with be on the line all the time.) for most, the little difference is there anyway regardless of rackets due to poor or inconsistent timing/swing speed etc

this is actually more physics than badminton. think about it. its the same theory as hitting with higher and lower tension.

#10 surge, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The different points of impact when the racquet face hits the shuttle in clears and smashes apply to all racquets, whether stiff or flexible. However, the feel is different, mainly because of the difference in dwell time between stiff and flexible racquets. If the point of contact is different for stiff versus flexible racquets, then we will end up with two opposing concepts of "taking it at the highest point" appropriate for each stroke.
    The angle of contact of the racquet face and the shuttle determines whether the shot is a defensive clear, an attacking clear, or a smash. The stiffness or flexibility of the racquet does not determine it. Lean the racquet face backwards you then have a defensive clear. Lean it slightly backwards you then have an attacking clear. Lean it forward you have a smash. The steepest smash comes from hitting it at the highest point. Use of the wrist, AOTBE, will ensure the smash is at the highest point. The slight variations in a smash trajectory, steep versus flat, is a result of hitting it at different heights, which is something the player can control by jumping, using more wrist snap, but not from the stiffness or flexibility of a racquet.

12. surge

surge Regular Member

great. then all companies should agree on just one model with same weight, stiffness balance etc. since everything is the same why bother with different rackets

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Not really, racquets of different specifications and even colours or names provide a wider choice for players. A head-heavy racquet and a head-light racquet will still do a smash with the racquet face leaning in front, the former more for power play and the latter for faster handspeed like say a backhand. Different specifications are for different style of play and taste of players. They are not intended to provide different trajectories. The same with an attacking clear, where you lean slightly backwards to hit the shuttle, for both stiff and flexible racquet, almost parallel to the floor but above the reach of your opponent. There is no such thing as say a 5 degree backward lean for a stiff racquet and a 6 degree lean backward for a flexible racquet and then another 7 degree backward lean for a more flexible racquet.

14. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Racquets don't decide your technique, your racquet is intended for the feel you like, and different feels suit different people. You should be able to play the same strokes with any racquet.

15. surge

surge Regular Member

thats what i am talking about. all rackets can smash when face is forward and down. just that the timing to get the face to be down will be different from each rackets. stiff may face dwon earlier than flex. assuming that all rackets to hit at the same instant, of cos the trajectory would be the same. the concern is time taken by different racket to reach the hitting point and how this time difference change the point of impact, thus altering the trajectory. how you understand what i meant

16. surge

surge Regular Member

just joking about the racket thing. life with one racket will be such a bore!

1st racket -thunderbolt 2
    -powerful!
    2nd racket-ti10. even more powerful!!!!
    3rd racket-RSL 6900 as powerful as ti10, easier to defend
    4th racket -victor sw31. not as poewrful as before, but better placement, better defence.

my point: rackets choice may change over time. being a social player, at different point different style may be more interesting to play.(having the hardest smash to win all games is not the point).

so long as the racket is doing what you want, enjoy it. now, i would only consider changing the racket if the new design and colour is really attractive!!!
    cos in terms of potential of rackets, they are all above my ability to execute them to their max. so i agree, its the player not the racket. yonex rackets are way too good for me.:p

for TS, you have a good racket, enjoy it!

taneepak, send my regards to the girls! been 3 years since the last time we met. hope to play with you guys some time again.:D careful, now i can smash even harder becos i have more body weight to lean into!!! haha