Does String could injured you???

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Vodude, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Today I just finished play with friends.

I use BG65 0.70mm @ 25lbs, this string I feel its strong and hard to break, but I feel I cant smash at great power nor birdie speed seems reduce IF I compared the last string I use, BG 6 0.66mm @ 25lbs.

Now the bad part is I feel my shoulder not comfortable now and just at the court I feel the uncomfortable cause me cant smash good enough.

Is bad string could really injured you? Or may be i didnt do enough warm up. :confused:

Oh yeah, this BG65 every time I smash, somehow I feel the string bound back, I suspect this cause my shoulder uncomfortable or maybe a little injured now due to every time my shoulder muscle push forward, the string produce a little power that push backward.

Sorry If I confused you guys :p

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

sometimes it could be the tension problem..
    higher the tension, if u miss hit it..u might get injury..

3. jwu42

jwu42 Regular Member

Histotech
    What I heard is low tension absorbs more "impact" and is more forgiving thus you are allowed a higher tolerance of miss-hits and such. When you start using higher tensions, your body will receive most of the repercussion of a bad hit and therefore it's pretty important to make sure your form is correct and that you are capable of playing at high tension to avoid injury.
    As for the difference between BG65 and BG66, I have same experience as you described in which BG65 just feels lacking in power. Others please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought being thinner (BG66), it has more repulsion, which translates to power, while sacrificing string life. The two strings do feel different and by feeling that initial lack of power, you might be trying to compensate it by adjusting your form slightly and thus causing the shoulder discomfort. This happened to me about couple months ago and I quickly switched back to strings with familiar feel and corrected the problem. Alternatively you can always adjust to the new string but just have a buddy watch you and make sure you're not overextending or doing anything wrong which will cause you further problems. Good luck.

4. pussiii999

pussiii999 Regular Member

chef
    Ermmm my 2 cents .... When you try this new string ... the feeling is total different ... you do not feel what you expect and you try to do different things ..... you try to do different tech to get back the feel and that is where you hurt yourself , cos it happen to me .... When thing is below what we used to be we tense to try to get it back .... but when it is better then there is not much to change ....

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I believe you might be compensating for the BG66 being a much more repulsive string than the BG65. This compensation is causing you to swing harder than you normally do (generally a bad idea) hence your pains.

Also, the BG65 is newly strung so it might be a fair bit harder than your previous BG66, so tension differs.

The good news is that BG65 will loose some tension quite fast so it might be just right for you in a week or so :).

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    The quick answer is yes - Higher tensions leave you more liable to injury as a tight bed means you are imposing more of the force directly onto yourself.

This was mentioned by JR in one of his threads.

I myself used to suffer from Wrist & shoulder issues from using higher tensions.

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    What about now, James?

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Wrist better, shoulder still bad but not as bad. Knee giving me trouble now.

I seem to be suceptable to injury....I have got used to it now, but it is frustrating knowing you are not as fit as you would like to be.

To keep related to the thread I have reduced the tensions and use thinner strings to keep the feel.

9. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Try spending some money on lessons.
    Proper techniques can reduce your injuries, such as elbow and shoulder, knee and lower back.

Your coach will tell you why your wrong swing or wrist snap or bad foot work is causing all the injuries.

String tension should not cause such serious injuries.

I can play with a racket strung with 16 or 30 lbs tension and have an injury-free game.

10. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    A higher tension has more vibration so it's possible you aren't use to the high tension yet.

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Good Advice.

I didn't mean string tension caused all of the injuries. Mainly the wrist one - Not a serious injury, just a niggle.

This is the thread where JR mentions string tension and injuries (Not in depth I know but he said it):

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6624&highlight=string+tension

12. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    I have a coach for only 4-5 months and now play alone and improve alone.

I think I better change the string to BG 6 (not BG 66 although they are the same spec), yesterday I try my friend BG 6, I feel it swing good.

Also, somehow BG 6 give me a luck at the game :)

Thanks All.. :eek: