Amateur with a good racket gets better?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by total19, Dec 4, 2008.

1. total19

total19 Regular Member

Last night I had a chance to try out my friend’s racket: Arc 7 at 28lbs. I have never use any racket other than NS 7000 and 6000 both at ~21lbs. I am only a leisure player, never been coached, and always have problem with round-the-head clear and backhand clear in single game. But with this Arc 7, I finally understand what is meant by “effortless”. When performing a full length clear, I literally have to slow down my swing action to prevent the shuttle shooting too far. I was able to do a full length backhand crosscourt clear comfortably. My smashes, some said, were just like bazookas, well what can I say. Does a better racket/string combination really make that much of a difference?

I really feel that, after a certain level of skill, if you have not ever used a top class racket than it will be very difficult to even just to play with an advance player. I am not saying that you will beat him coz of the racket, just that you’ll be able to perform the shots as you expected them to be, so you’d learn something after the game. The reason is that with a better racket I know that I could do it so I wouldn’t tense up when the shuttle gets to my “weak area”. But with a less good racket I’d be under pressure at the first instance, coz I know I can’t do a full backhand clear for example, than the shot afterward is usually crap. Has anyone feel this too?

I think the same also applies to the surface of the court, shoe, clothe and shuttlecock.

P.S. I am not here to promote Arc 7, I hope to try out more rackets as well.

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I agree that if you are a reasonably skilled player, a decent racket will help you in the sense that you won't be limited by a rubbish racket but a racket is no solution to proper technique. I would recommend that you find out what tension the racket was strung at as this could make a difference to the power and feel of a racket. Perhaps you could string your racket at this tension and see if this is what it was, or it could just be the the Arc7 really suits you.

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

At least for me, head-light & low tension does not go well together. Restring your existing rackets to a higher tension and see how it goes..

4. epermana

epermana Regular Member

If you compare rackets with qualities at 2 different extremes then yes, changing racket will make a difference. I have tried a racket which was literally a "twig" strung at probably 10lbs. It felt dead. Using reasonable racket at correct tension will allow you to feel shots and maybe learn faster?

I am not sure about Arc7 doing all the wonders though. It would probably be a psycological effect. From my experience, my shots are better when I play more positively.

5. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    In this case, i don't think it's so much as the racket. More like the string tension. ARC7 and NS7000 is pretty much a comparable racket. The flex is similar and so is weight distribution.

Before you go out splurge on a new racket, I think it's better that you try your NS7000 at 28lbs first.

Also, sometime it maybe a placebo effect, I guess. You probably feel a little more hyped to play with a different racket, or you pay attention to your shots more when you use a new racket.

6. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Change always come from far different technology. But it doesn't mean all beginner will always get better. Certain level of beginner is necessary (I believe). If you have been reaching certain level of playing, you will achieve something different from different racket.

About learning faster, I believe they will play better for certain stage, but then they will learn a lot slower, why is that? Since cutting edge racket is designed very light. This way, they're power is improving a lot slower, compared with a beginner racket, which is heavy, and very hard to control. And many other factor.

I'd say total19 is in a level of intermediate. Your forehand is quite good, but bad clear with backhand. If you are to train yourself, try to check your stance, gripping style, and movement. This 3 is mostly the key to play badminton. And fixing this 3 issues could result better in both forehand and backhand. Good Luck xD.