Hello, American player here playing in China

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by pyaarawala, Dec 5, 2008.

1. pyaarawala

pyaarawala Regular Member

student
    What's up everyone? My name's Hassan and I came to Suzhou, China, from New York, USA, in October. I'm studying at Suzhou University at the Dushu Lake campus. I play badminton regularly now at the Dushu Lake Gym. I play 2-3x a week in a student badminton club.

I've actually been playing badminton since I was in junior high school back in the U.S., but I've been on and off with it. I've played it regularly in junior high school, then stopped, and started again in 1 year of high school, then stopped again, then started again in 1 semester of college, then stopped again. That was in March of 2008. Now I started playing again over here in China, and wow I've gotta admit people are much more enthusiastic for badminton over here in China than back in the US. The courts are always full and completely booked and gyms actually have badminton courts. In the US the only places that had courts were schools. You couldn't just decide to play badminton one day and go somewhere to play.

But I'm confident to say I'm an intermediate level player. I would really like to play against some of you if any of you live in Suzhou, China. Just PM me. Looking forward to learning a lot of new stuff from you guys here. Thanks.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    pyaarawala, welcome to Badminton Central :)

It's good to see you have found a response in the Places To Play sub-forum.
    Have fun here and in China.

3. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    Welcome to BCF :) have fun browsing the forums and enjoy the game in China

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Welcome..

..to BCDF, pyaarawala (Hassan)!:)...So, how do you like living in Suzhou (China)? Are you there on an exchange study? Long term or short term stay? Staying there with your parents??..
    Yeah, you are in the right country for quenching your baddy thirst. Do enjoy & take every chance you have to play the sport.
    Anyway, keep enjoying this forum & continue to have a good time in China!;):cool:

5. pyaarawala

pyaarawala Regular Member

student
    Thanks for the welcomes.

I really like Suzhou, it's a very beautiful city and it's quite clean, much like Long Island, where I live in the U.S. I'm not here on an exchange study. I graduated high school in the US last year and did 1 year of community college in the US. After that, I applied to the Suzhou University MBBS Medical program over here. It's definitely along term stay lol. I'll be spending 5 years here haha, so there's plenty of time for me to chill in China. I also plan to come back as a badminton champ too haha.

Take every chance to play the sport huh? I'd be playing everyday if I had someone to play with who's good and is willing to split the cost of court rental with me, but everyone I know over here is cheap lol and don't wanna do it lol. Btw, ctjcad, which part of the US are you from?

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hi hassan..
    welcome to the forun and have fun surfing here ya??:):):):p

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Gotcha..

..good to hear you're adapting well in China, eventhough it's only been 2 months or so (must be a lot of new friends)...Are you pretty much fluent in Mandarin?? or still learning?? Any particular reason for choosing to go to a medical school in China instead of the U.S.??..
    5 years away?? Nah, not too long.;)
    I'm from it's-beginning-to-be-chilly-but-not-as-chilly-as-East Coast U.S. SoCal (in the L.A. region, to be exact).:)
    Best of luck in your study!:cool:

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Welcome to the forums and good luck with your studies. You're definitely in the right place for badminton (both BCF and China :D).

9. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Welcome to the forum

10. Maxphi5

Maxphi5 Regular Member

Student
    Have fun in the forums!! And like Dan said "You're definitely in the right place for badminton (both BCF and China :D). :p:p:p