Racket vibration

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Danielsan, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Danielsan

Danielsan Regular Member

Hi all,

Thanks for dropping by.

Need to ask a question:
    1) Place your badminton handle on a table (leaving the shaft and the head of the racket hanging on the edge of table)
    2) then u apply slight force on the handle and gently use ur thumb to press on the head and release.
    3) will your racket head vibrate in a up-down motion or up down left right motion?

What does it indicate?

Cheers

2. blundey

blundey Regular Member

Congratulations - You have be awarded the worlds most weirdest thread ever. Why do you ask this question?

3. Danielsan

Danielsan Regular Member

LOL...just curious.

Was playing around with my rackets and i notice some rackets i have will vibrate updownleft right motion as compared with my other rackets which vibrates up down.

So wanna ask whats the difference and whats the norm?

4. bramyes

bramyes Regular Member

salesman
    vibrating....
    only the vibrating dildo ... brother

5. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Interesting test. I realize that this may be the vibration the racquet creates during the game. So can dampen the vibration more while others can't. Why not try this method on a racquet with Yonex's C.S. Cap and one without and see the result.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    not a dumb question at all. U just asked a question that involved very complex physics in equip design that 99.99% of users don't really know or care about :D

7. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    There will always be vibration. If you didn't then you must have a lot of shock absorbers on your racket.

8. Danielsan

Danielsan Regular Member

So what is the normal?

As in up down motion?

Y some of the rackets vibrate in up down left right motion?

9. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    There are many factors into which way the racket shacks such as weight distribution. In order for the vibration to lose energy the racket will move in all directions.

#9 phandrew, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  10. squallyeo

squallyeo Regular Member

good rackets shud swing up and down oni. rackets tat swing left or right is caused by unprofesional joint of shaft and grip handle. tis will create vibration when u play, causing the shuttle to fly inaccurately. to me, tis is the most important element in a racket. if u wan to test tis thing but cant find a table, u can grab the the racket head with 1 hand and use ur stronger hand to grab the grip handle (like fist style, if u know wat i mean) and try twist the handle with ur strength. if u c the cap will turn left or right, means the joint of shaft n handle is not good, tis racket will vibrate. if it doesn't turn, it's a good racket

11. Danielsan

Danielsan Regular Member

i quote squallyeo "good rackets shud swing up and down oni. rackets tat swing left or right is caused by unprofesional joint of shaft and grip handle" - does it mean that rackets which swing left and right are not good rackets due to poor manufacturing?

12. Willi@m

Willi@m Regular Member

Blow Blow Water
    Imbalanced material application when moulding a racket. Not homogeneously (uniformly) well. It can be seen before smooth-sanding & spray painting.

I recall somebody put up few x-ray photos showing the head frame joining, could see the joint obviously (darker color aka denser material) at 3/9 or 4/8 oclock.

13. squallyeo

squallyeo Regular Member

ya, i was told by my regular stringer. he's a very good player and stringer, and certainly knows alot bout rackets. he dun look at brand, he usually use his own money to buy a racket from supplier, test it and then oni decide whether to recommend to his customers. u wont go wrong following his advice.:D

good rackets will oni swing up and down, providing u press at the 12 o'clock point la. u press at other points then good racket will also swing left and right.:p

14. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Both of my racket (RSL Aerometric 550 Power, and Arcsaber 10) go up and down, but I noticed that with a stronger power, my Arc10 shake and stop faster than my RSL. Is that supposed to mean that Arc10 is actually stiffer than the RSL? If it's so, how come that the Arc10 is more bendable than the Aerometric?!?

I'm not really sure about what happened xD... Is it because of the Ultra-PEF?

15. blundey

blundey Regular Member

The fact the head goes left or right or up and down has nothing to do with the quality of the racket. Its about the shaft stiffness. If you have a soft/medium flex racket the head will move in a manner which is not controlled to just up and down. If the head moves only up and down it means the shaft is stiff and has does not allow as much movement. You would see up and down on offensive rackets, and left and right-up and down on defensive.

The amount of vibration would be a good indication of the stiffness of the shaft too and again nothing to do with quality manfucturering.

I tested this out on a 9.99 carlton powerblade and my friends MP99 and they both performed the same....

16. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Squallyeo is talking about torsional stiffness -- how the racket resists twisting. I test all rackets I intend to buy this way too.

The OP is suggesting that a racket should not introduce movement in directions it is not subjected to. I.e. if you press the head down and let go, the racket should only resonate vertically and not introduce any lateral movements on its own. Any lateral movement indicates a problem in either the joint between the grip/shaft or in the shaft itself.

A stiffer racket will resonate faster (higher frequency) than a more flexible racket but neither should introduce new movements..

That said, it is possible for a racket to be made more flexible in one direction than the perpendicular. This is done by flattening the shaft on the face you want more flex. Think about your plastic ruler that has good flex in the flat face but is totally stiff in the perpendicular plane.

17. blundey

blundey Regular Member

If this is TRUELY the case, then how come when testing a really cheap racket to a really expensive one there appeared very little difference? Im sure if the shaft is flexible one way its going to be in another as its cylindrical.

18. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    @blundey
    Well... Actually racket is not that pricy. I believe 50% for marketing, 30% for researching, 20% material & manufacturing costs. You will see, why counterfeit sell those racket at such a low price. But, as everyone could search in this forum, there are a lot out there an "excellent" fake, which looks, play like the real deal.

I didn't say buy the fakes, because they're not always the same. No standards from the word Fake Yonex. One thing for sure, actually making racket is not that pricy xD...

19. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

There are really 2 questions here...

Since when price became a factor?

Most but not all shafts are perfectly cylindrical. The Ashaway TMP900 (my wife's racket) is super flexible because Ashaway flattened the shaft to allow it to flex even more. That flattening also mean that the shaft is stiffer against sideway movements. Just imagine the ruler example I gave you previously.