User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the pro players also in the video? I can't tell which one is who the girl in blue is a beauty

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Just letting you know the trials for my new team entry in the WBA league are in full effect :

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is Valeria Sorokina? Is she injured or did she retire after olympics? Lately Vislova is playing doubles with Prokopenko and other partners.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iirc she has taken a break from playing after the Olympics and deciding whether or not to continue (and in the same partnership or not). There was a newspaper article/interview about it. I think she should partner with Chervyakova ... (although her and Nina go way back)
    Maybe I can dig it up again sometime.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russia – Badminton’s next big destination?

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/02/0...g-destination/

EXCERPTS:

It appears that Russia has developed a love affair with badminton.
    The sport had been introduced into the school curriculum after a two-year study revealed that playing badminton could reduce the deterioration of eyesight caused by computers, according to a report in R-Sport.

It may be recalled that an official video of Russian supremo Vladimir Putin and second-in-command Dmitry Medvedev playing badminton was posted in October of 2011, with then-President Medvedev praising the health benefits of the sport. “People who play badminton are those who make quick decisions,” Medvedev said. “People play badminton in just about every country on our planet… we also play badminton and I think this is a very good thing. It’s very helpful, because this game helps, like all sports, develop physical form, perception of distance, sharpness in reactions.”

Medvedev even said the government should promote badminton in schools, universities and “in general wherever it is possible to play it”.
    A month later, in November 2011, a report in Izvestiya newspaper stated that the Russian defence ministry had decided to impart badminton training to its entire army, in order to make it more battle-ready. The report said that the ministry was planning to buy 10,000 badminton rackets and tens of thousands of shuttlecocks, since “the same muscles are used during a game of badminton as those used when throwing grenades, knives and other objects,” the newspaper quoted Colonel Alexander Shchepelev, the head of the defence ministry’s physical preparation department, as saying. “That’s why this sport is very useful for all servicemen without exception. But it will be especially useful for riflemen and snipers, since following the shuttlecock trains the eye muscles, strengthens the cardiovascular system and develops reaction speed.”

Although the ministry later denied the report, Izvestiya stood by its story.

The lucky bronze that Russia won at the Olympics last year (after four top women’s doubles teams were disqualified for unsportsmanlike conduct) seems to have had a positive effect on the sport in the country.
    The latest report in R-Sport quoted the National Badminton Federation of Russia as saying that the national two-year study of badminton’s effect in strengthening eye muscles had yielded impressive results, and helped introduce it to the sports curriculum in Russian schools. The report said that the study was met with “enthusiasm” by the Badminton World Federation, which was apparently considering promoting Russia’s ‘Badminton and Vision’ program among its member federations. “If they (BWF) accept it, and the program is developed, then there will be no need to worry about whether there will be badminton at the Olympics after Rio de Janeiro,” Sergei Shakhrai, president of the Russian Badminton Federation, was quoted as saying by R-Sport.

If Russia, with its resources and lobbying power at the international level, does take badminton seriously, the sport can rocket to a different level altogether. “Why does everyone want to work with us? Because they see that in Russia big changes are happening,” chairman of the Russian badminton federation Andrei Antropov was quoted as saying.

Sounds interesting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is Prokopenko? If I'm not mistaken she has not played in 2013, and she is not part of the Sudirman Cup team.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone explain to me why Ivanov is consistently beating most other european top players (JOJ, Vittinghus), he looks so slow and clumsy on court. Nothing he does looks very pretty, and when I analyze shuttle after shuttle, I still don't understand what makes him win. It just looks like his opponents are making unforced errors (as the recent match vs Vittinghus for example). But that can't really be it, maybe he makes them uneasy by cutting the shuttle earlier than they are used to because of his height?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just letting you know the trials for my new team entry in the WBA league are in full effect :

Oh boy. Where are the wildcards when you need them

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lordrogue View Post
    Can someone explain to me why Ivanov is consistently beating most other european top players (JOJ, Vittinghus), he looks so slow and clumsy on court. Nothing he does looks very pretty, and when I analyze shuttle after shuttle, I still don't understand what makes him win. It just looks like his opponents are making unforced errors (as the recent match vs Vittinghus for example). But that can't really be it, maybe he makes them uneasy by cutting the shuttle earlier than they are used to because of his height?
    He's almost 2 meters tall with long legs. That gives a huge advantage in singles. And if you watch the game versus Vittinghus - there wasn't a single long rally. Huge amount of points Ivanov won by playing tightly at the net, forcing a very high lift, then - basically two giant steps back and an huge smash. He forced Vittinghus into very fast game and Vittinghus just couldn't put his own pace to the rallies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

instagram of nina vislova...one of the more popular russian players among BCers...lucky olympic 2012 bronze medallist....is she together with vladimir ivanov?
    http://instagram.com/ninavislova/
    Last edited by **KZ**; 06-14-2013 at 07:51 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by **KZ** View Post
    instagram of nina vislova...one of the more popular russian players among BCers...lucky olympic 2012 bronze medallist....is she together with vladimir ivanov?
    http://instagram.com/ninavislova/
    No, as far as I'm aware she isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    No, as far as I'm aware she isn't.
    the man in her instagram does bear some resemblance to him though...maybe i'm getting the wrong person

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you familiar with the term "privacy" ?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lordrogue View Post
    Good question, have not really watched his matches. His big reach and good reactions from playing doubles should make it hard to score on him ... Is it really consistent? Only if he does it more than once to the same player , let's wait and see ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you familiar with the term "privacy" ?
    it's not private anymore after she sets her instagram to public...=)

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mods, please change title of thread to:

The Russians have Arrived.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by **KZ** View Post
    the man in her instagram does bear some resemblance to him though...maybe i'm getting the wrong person
    Two days later, and after more considerable thought, the man in her Instagram is Vitaly Durkin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    Two days later, and after more considerable thought, the man in her Instagram is Vitaly Durkin
    ahh yes...i doubt he's still playing...he used to partner with alexander nikolaenko...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast