Greater Vancouver Area - Anyone know some places to play?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Vicious Circle, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Vicious Circle

Vicious Circle New Member

Student
    Hey All!

I was hoping someone could give me the names of some places to play badminon in the Greater Vancouver area... Preferably around Surrey, or easily accessable by the Bus or Sky Train..
    My Partner and I are both 15, but we'll happily play in adult sessions if allowed.
    Thanks in Advance! :D

Vicious Circle

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    looks like nobody has offered suggestions

hello vicious circle - chuckle!!! guess who this is...

okay, here is a small list of places you should look at. the main problem for you and j is that most places are rather strict when it comes to age, especially when the program is very popular and fills up quickly.

here are a few that are usually rather flexible, there are some decent players.

Britannia Community center:

skytrain to broadway, you want to then go north on Commercial drive, take the granville bus (north) and get off at napier street. you will see the community center to the west side of commercial. go to gym C.

Friday night - 7pm to 10pm. they usually go with 15 minute court intervals.
    Saturday afternoon - 1pm (maybe 1:30) to 3pm.

Strathcona Community center:

Skytrain to Main Street. Go north on Main street until you reach keefer street. (note: do not proceed to hastings - hasting and main is a VERY bad intersection, lots of druggies and the sort). on Keefer street, walk east two blocks. you will see the school and community center there.

Sunday afternoon: 2:30 - 5:30 pm
    Monday evening: 7:30-9:45p

Other places to check out:

Killarney
    Renfrew
    Hastings
    Dunbar
    Collingwood
    Trout Lake
    Bonsor (near metrotown)
    Cameron center (near lougheed mall)

Places in Richmond will be more difficult for you to get to, but there are some good places to play:

Cambie Community center
    SouthArm
    Steveston

3. Vicious Circle

Student
    hey Badrad - yeah i know it's you. read a couple of posts you made.

anyways, thanks. i Called about 7 or 8 places awhile ago (couple days after the Douglas open me n j were in) but yeah didnt have much luck with that. as you said they're strict with Age exceptions. anyways. you listed a few i havent tried so i'll call them tomorrow. me and j are going to try to make it to the teen badminton at guildford in the afternoon, even if there arnt many people or anything, me and j haven't played since the tournament and need to play badminton again, lol.

ok, so thanks.

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    btw - guildford saturday am training is still running

i just found out that one of the other coaches has been retained by the centre to operate the saturday morning program at least until september. it is not a full training session like the ones we (all three coaches) were having, but more a drop in with some drills. mainly the kids from fraser heights are signed up.

you might want to take advantage of this with your partner. i likely won't be there, but there should be some players that will give you some practice. just note: this coming saturday will not be open, but will restart the following saturday (aug 24).

5. Vicious Circle

Student
    oh, yay!
    thanks for the notice.
    I mite not be available that saturday though, but i'll shure try! even if the pure training isn't there, it'll be great to still play! thanks

Vicious Circle

6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    a couple recommendations

vicious circle:

1. you should get your partner and drop down to the vrc this weekend and watch some of the summer open matches. should be some good matches there. finals are on sunday.

2. with the Canadian Open being held in Guildford, I would suggest that you and J may want to consider volunteering. this way you will get a chance to see some of the events free of charge, and also you might get to know some of the players as well. there is a large number of international countries involved, although i have not seen any from the asian powerhouses as yet. regardless, the level of play should be top notch and you will find this very entertaining. I know that school will have started, but i'm sure you can work something out with the coordinators. If you are interested, let me know, one of my friends is an organizer and he is asking for lots of help.

7. Vicious Circle

Student
    Wow!. hope i understood that second part right, cuz it sounds great! i sent you an email with my questions about it. but i talked to J and me and him are both up for it. sounds like a lot of fun!
    thanks

Vicious Circle