L'am (sunday)

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by drew, Jul 22, 2002.

1. drew

drew Regular Member

Hi,
    I was wondering what time and how much it costs to go to L'am on Sunday mornings. I went once on Saturday night but I can't make it anymore. If I go on Sunday mornings can I still get a membership? And how much. I don't mind paying the drop in price. I just need the specs on what time and how much it is on Sunday mornings. If i go as a guest do i need to mention some one I know there?

2. Aero

Aero Regular Member

Student
    um
    i think it starts at 8:00 am? or was it 9:00 am? something like that
    and it ends at 2:00 i think...
    it costs $5 for drop-in i think

3. drew

drew Regular Member

l'am sundays

Is it too late to be a member?
    If I do drop in do i have to be some member's guest? cause last time i went on saturday i was my friend's guest.

4. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Drew..

Hi Drew. I'm a regular member of L'am badminton on Sundays. For the summer, you can pay the summer membership which was $25. The summer session started in June. You can talk to Ken Tam, the organizer of L'am on Sundays. He is a very kind gentleman. Summer session runs to the end of August. You probably pay less then $20 for the rest of the summer. Fall session starts in September. I like fall sessions better as more highly skilled players attend on a regular basis. There is only one court by the far corner that is intermediate to just below advanced level players. The rest are beginner levels. Great place to practice your skills during the summer as there are plenty of empty courts. The Sunday session runs from 8:15am to 2:00pm. Drop-in fee is $5. Pretty good since you play for such a long period of time.

5. drew

drew Regular Member

thanks!

Thanks Chu Pa! I think I will drop by next sunday or the one after that...Is it full? Do we take turns playing?

6. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

As stated above..

No problem Drew. :) Glad to help. As stated above, "Great place to practice your skills during the summer as there are plenty of empty courts. " There is only one real court that you can play decent badminton if you are intermediate level or higher. The rest are just beginners. There are usually only 4-6 courts full so you have the freedom to use the rest. I won't go this Sunday as I will be busy. I will definitely go next Sunday, 8/4/02. Hope to see you there. :) TDot, hope you can join us too.

7. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Yea try out L'am this Sunday... so veryvery early.. but I can make it :)

8. drew

drew Regular Member

do they pair us up with people to play with or do we have to ask people to play? Because in the saturday one they pair you up in random and put your with a random opponent....is it like that?

9. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Totally different...

Drew, Saturday is always up to capacity so they tend to pair up people sometimes. Sundays, there are less people(summer time) so you can pick and choose who you want to play with. If you play on the intermediate court, you will just walk on the court and pick anyone you want to play. After each game, rest near the intermediate court and wait your turn for the next match. Doesn't matter who you play with on the intermediate court because everyone is quite balanced in terms of skill. Can't go wrong with either of us. :) TDot, it's not that early. :) Go at 9:00am and you can sleep a little longer. I find the best time to play is 9:00am to 11:00am. That is when the core of better skilled players are there. Most of them go at 8:15am. Feels good to play in the morning. I won't be there this weekend as stated in previous post. I'll join you guys next Sunday. :)

10. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Are children (6-10 year old) allowed to play on Sunday? My friends have kids and they love badminton.

11. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

You can talk to...

Tammy, Ken(organizer of Sunday badminton) would be glad to allow your friend's children to learn and play badminton with him. He teaches children badminton on Sundays which would not interfere with him. If you want, you can give him a call 416-560-0692 or e-mail him at kentam_southasia@hotmail.com for further details. He is very friendly and courteous and loves new people to play badminton on Sundays. Take care.

12. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

That's great! Thanks a lot for the info, Chu Pa. I'm so glad we converted those couch-potato kids into badminton enthusiasts.

13. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Yep...

Kids are getting obese because of technology. Every kid is rather playing ICQ or PS2 and not playing sports as much as recent years.

14. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

TDot and Drew..

TDot and Drew, did you go to L'am yesterday 7/28/02? If you did attend, what did you think of L'am? I know there is no A/C so good to sweat a little and have a workout. :)

15. TDotSmAsHer

Yea! Nice friendly place.... VERY HOT.......... I must of drank about 2 litres of water...........

went there from 9-2 but actual playing time was 3 - 3 1/2 hours because I took lots of breaks :)

16. drew

drew Regular Member

i couldn't make it because i went to the papal mass! The mass was an experience although it was raining and very cold!

I'll try to make it next week if I can...But I know there are nice people there.

17. Chu Pa

Chu Pa Regular Member

Did I see you TDot?

I went to L'am this past Sunday. There weren't many people at 9:00am. People started to fill-up around 11:00am or so. TDot, were you wearing a blue t-shirt and wearing glasses? Light blue grip on your racquet? I believe you were playing at the first court where you enter the gym? How did you fair with the people that you played? Anyone else go? Tammy? Drew?

18. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Sorry Chu Pa ... I did not go there on Sunday. I was in Montreal ... just back last night. I'll go to L'Am this Sunday (aug. 18). TDotSmAsHer will be there too. Hope to see you there.

19. drew

drew Regular Member

i went last sunday

I went on the 4th of august. I saw tdot there and we played for a while but then I left at around 11. It is pretty nice there, the ppl are nice too. I might go again but I prefer Saturday because I have lots of friends that go there.

20. TDotSmAsHer

Chu Pa.. yes and no... I came in at about 9 ishy... I think... and all of the other 6 courts were with people already... I had blue t-shirt and glasses yea.. but it was a light green grip actually :p

I played with around the same group of people for about 2 1/2 more or less... the occasional game with otehr people... on that side of the gym... I enjoyed playing with that group... some of them were better then me.. but not so much better that I couldn't score points heh. I think I was about the same as some of them.... there were a few who were better then me... that woman with the mp-100 and this other guy.. (I think he was using cab-23?? orange racquet? I dunno.. i forgot)... On that side it was mainly beginners but I saw some intermediates... There was this mix pair dat was pretty good... (when I was resting I watched a few games)..... oh yea.. they both had cool shoes! One of the SHB models (hehe)

Oh yea.. later the side with 6 courts finally had empty courts .. (all the times I checked it was full ..) ... and then I went to play a few random games.... THENNNNN... I was walking around... those 3 kids asked me to play a game and I got my ass kicked by them haha.... that short girl with the mp-77 is really good .... I probably coulda done better if I wasn't so tired.. buttt probably still woulda lost... Didn't loose by that much.... but still.. I might of had a chance hehe :)

Then after I just went to play some more games (really tired at this point)... and then it got to a point where I just didn't want to move anymore... I just stood in one spot and hit whatever came to me lol.. then I just left.. (about 1:45) ... so about 3-4 hours actual playing time...

Where were you? Were you one of those people sitting on the bench near the court on right corner? the one wit the star!... I couldn't seee an iso800!
    00*