Looking for coach. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'San Gabriel Valley Badminton Club ( SGVBC )' started by Chetnik, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Chetnik

Chetnik New Member

Electronic Engineer
    I saw the small list of coaches who offer their services at SGVBC, and contacted one of them based on a referral from a friend, but he ended up speaking very little English so that didn't go too well. I don't have a problem with accents, it's just I need a coach who can actually coach me for the time that I pay instead of 50% of the time being wasted trying to figure out what the coach is trying to say.

A friend and myself are looking to get lessons, and I wanted to check with the community to see if anyone has any experience with any of the coaches at SGVBC.

I really tried to phrase this as best as I could to not sound condescending, so don't judge me :D

2. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Thats a pretty tough call as i think most of them speak english as a 2nd or even 3rd language. Personally ive never trained with any of the coaches there, but i have seen them train there, and i have had friends who have trained with them. From what ive seen, and my experiences, coaches are all very different, so its probably best to just try each one, and see which has the most to offer you, and fits you the best. Best thing about training with different coaches is that they can help you develop in different areas.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..hard to say..

..i haven't been to SGVBC in a while, so i don't know if they've added any new coaches. But from what i've heard in the past of "hearing" them speak, maybe the one which sounds the most "comfortable" is coach Andy Tran (not sure if he's still coaching there or not; you may want to stop by the place and ask the shop/front office). I'm sure other coaches are capable, but just from my own "ears" on how they converse.:)

Our DinkAlot might know a bit more & chime in...;)

#3 ctjcad, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  4. Chetnik

Chetnik New Member

Electronic Engineer
    Thanks for the replies. I might try Andy after the holidays. I'm guessing Dinkalot is the like top-dog here or something...?

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^We affectionately call him..^^

...NGP or Nice Gentle Panda....Actually SGVBC used to be his hibernating palace or his hideout or the Panda cave, before his recent exodus to his new hideaway @ OCBC....So, yes, he knows his way around, the personnel and probably knows every nook and cranny of SGVBC...;):cool:

6. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Free lesson from player A level

The only catch is that you bring some birdies & pay for entrance fee $8.00 at ABC -Arcadia badminton club and we can meet up. 2 hrs of free lessons every Wednesday is the best day or when-ever am free from studying.I am available. Fluent english speaking here.

If you are new to the game or want to improve your skills with NO cost: Just my hobbie playing badminton and i would love to coach for FREE

I am no expert, but i can play this game very well.

email: edlopez21@hotmail.com

7. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    I have several people email in the past about Giving them free lessons at SGVBC. But i am not a member there. I can only help you at ABC.

If you have the money, I would recommend ANDY TRAN who usually trained students at SGVBC regularly and sometimes at ABC. He is a great friend and a very nice guy-sometimes :). If your going to ABC: I would recommend another ANDY(Indonesian) & HOCK LAI.

By the ways, I am not an A player YET---in SGVBC Tournament Standard: A solid C player. Hopefully by Next year I will be :)