Arcsaber 9

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Danstevens, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone. I'm thinking of buying a racket for my friend for Christmas. I think the Yonex Arcsaber 9 would be ideal for him but I don't know whether he'd be too keen on the colour scheme. I know that Arc9 is meant for female players but I'm sure some of the men on here have posted they own an Arc9 (or am I just imagining that?).

So, I suppose what I'm asking is if you're male and received an Arc9 as a gift, would you be happy with it and would you play with it? Personally, I think I'd be alright with it and despite having pink on, I think it's a really good looking racket.

2. mtr1993

mtr1993 Regular Member

school
    i wish my friends bought me top-end yonex rackets for christmas.

3. Danstevens

Student
    He's a good mate and has been practising with me for a long time now so I think he deserves something nice.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

If the color really bothers you, get the ARC7. IMHO, (as I posted in the other thread) beside the hearts on the racquet, color does not bother me that much.

5. Danstevens

Student
    So do you wield an Arc9? Also, how similar is the Arc7 to the 9?

6. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Why isn't ARC 10 one of your consideration ?

Here's my take on the different ARC models, ratings are in comparison to the other model within the ARC series :

ARC 7 : Best defense, decent offense
    ARC 9 : Good defense and good offense
    ARC 10 : Decent defense and best offense

I feel that ARC 9/10 is probably a better choice, though defense is an important aspect of the game, I think the best defense is offense and you can't win game by defending.

I do not own the ARC 9 and though the color scheme is really nice, I don't think I will use it because it is after all designed for women and also the ARC 10 is more suitable for me.

#6 teoky, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  7. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    hi friend, what makes you think Arcsaber 9 is really suitable
    for him? as you know, the colour is pink and meant for lady,
    i read in a magazine that Yonex designed it with female players
    on their mind, of course if you really think he will like it..
    go ahead or else why not aim for Arc 10 or Nano series?
    i think i will be glad to receive either both of above

8. Danstevens

Student
    I was considering the Arc7/9 because they're not as stiff as the Arc10. He's not a massively powerful player so I don't know if he could make the Arc10 "bend". Perhaps I should let him borrow my Arc10 and see how he plays with it.

9. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    The ARC10 is the stiffest in the series, but I don't think you need to be a massively powerful player to use it effectively, in fact I always see the ARC10 as a all rounder. NS9000X, AT700 and most RSL X2 models are tougher to use.

10. Danstevens

Student
    I don't know about that; the NS9000X is extremely stiff but not too difficult to use. Granted, harder than beginner/intermediate racket, but easier than the Arc10 in my opinion. I found the AT700 to be fairly easy to use too. I've never tried an RSL racket so I can't comment on any of them.

11. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    You are definitely at least a mid-high intermediate player in order to be able to use NS9000X/AT700 effectively. NS9000X though isn't head heavy, but it's stiffness means that it isn't easy to generate power unless you have the technique or brute strength. A beginner can use it, just that can't maximize it.

You should try a RSL, you may like it ;p

12. Az1k1

Az1k1 Regular Member

Asset Management
    I started using Arc 9, 1 month ago and I love it ever since. The power and net shots are exceptionally good and I believe is better than my AT900P purely because I am not puffed out after a few singles matched. and Arc 9 give me same power at AT900, Sounds better and give me better confidence.

There is nothing wrong with guys liking pink.

13. Wexed

Wexed Regular Member

Diagnostic Imaging
    Dan, if your friend minds the pink, let me know lol I really don't mind pink. Like my mother used to tell me when I was a kid, "Only real men can handle the pink!" lol
    Seriously, it is just a color, it doesn't take anything away from the racket and you can be sure not too many other male players have one :)

14. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    just think of it this way... if girls currently have been using guy's racquets all this time... why can't guys use theirs! That said... for anyone who's actually tried the arc 9 will know that the "girl's racquet" marketing thing is nothing more than color scheme... it sure as heck doesn't play like a "female" racquet and is fantastic. I've tried the 7 and the 10 but like the 9 the best.

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I can't stand the Valentine card looks, but I find the Arc 9 to be a very complete racket; it's a shame that it's acquired this reputation as a women's racket (indeed, Tennisnuts actually adds WOMENS, parenthetically, to the name).

Play-wise I find it to be somehow as powerful as the Arc 7 despite the softer flex, but the one I tried was in G6 and had so many extra grips (male user) that the existing tail-heaviness was made even worse, so it played like a Carlton S-lite:mad:. If you're a bloke (or getting it for one) I'd suggest going for G5 or bigger.