training in edmonton

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Jax, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Jax

Jax Regular Member

Does anyone know of any good places in Edmonton that offers badminton training other than the Glenora club? Thx

2. Resistnace

Resistnace New Member

You can try the Derrick Club... are you looking for group lesson or private lesson. Private lesson is coached by a Professional Coach named Zhong Hua Ma or Coach Ma.... I am his assistance coach..... Private Lesson is very good....

3. Jax

Jax Regular Member

Thanks resistance, I was wondering, do you know what the cost is for provate lessons? What about for group lessons? Do you think that it is worthwhile to pay the extra to attend private lessons? Thanks a lot!

4. Resistnace

Resistnace New Member

Group lesson are good for game events, testing your skills learned from private lessons.... But private lesson is where you learn the most and the most effective....
    1 hour of private lesson is aobut 4-5 hours of group lesson.. The way I coach will usually make you drop dead in about 30 minutes in private lesson... very few breaks as we perform drills that forces you to increase speed, control, endurance, power, and footwork....

The cost is $34 / hour for each private lesson... But you must be a member of the Derrick Club.....

Thanx

5. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
  6. Jax

Jax Regular Member

resistnace...I'm not a member of the derrick club, and from what I saw, membership is quite expensive...I think I'll have to wait a while for that :)

chia, you mentioned u of a...I'm currently attending u of a, and I'm in the badminton club...I'm not sure where coaching is available. Can u please elborate? thanks! :)

7. Resistnace

Resistnace New Member

Jax,

Well, it depends on how much you are planning to play....the membership is about $1500 a year which includes the privilege to use all facilities except golf..... Weight training, swimming, badminton, and others..... But if you only plan to train once a week, yes, it may not be worth it... but for me, I was training 5-6 hours a day, 6 days a week and played more badminton in one year than 95% of people would play in 8 years.... that is how fanatic I was... Just imagine losing 40 lbs in 6 weeks... no kidding.... kinda of put those weight losing commercial to shame.....

and the level of play is totally different than the level of play that you get from U of A or other small social clubs... We play with players that play in the provincial and who also training 3-4 times a week... so it is a lot more intense and fast....

So if all that you are looking for is some playing time, yes, maybe U of A and other social clubs are okay... but if your goal is to get really trained to compete, then no, U of A and other social clubs won't do. Maybe you should try going to the Derrick Club and see what training is about... it is not fun... but that is training....

For me, $1500 a year is well worth it because if I go anywhere else for the amount of time that I play, like kingsman or even U of A, I would be paying an arm and a leg... Kingsmen is like $6 per visit x 6 days = $36 / week x 52 = $1872 / yr and that is with no private lesson and no one to play competively with... just 6 hours of bumming around... not worth a penny for me.... My goal was to become the top 50 in one year. You have to realize that I never got coached or played competitively until 2 years ago.... The highest I got to was ranking 45 in Alberta.... so I would say I have achieved my goal, but I want to see if I can get into Class A this year (top 30)..... :D:D:D

Hope these answer helps.....

8. Jax

Jax Regular Member

Thanks a lot! Nice touch on the achievements. I think I'm gonna pass on getting membership to the club for now. I'm a university student, so what little money I get goes into the deep pocket of the u of a. I might seriously consider joining a more professional club after I graduate and get a job. Thanks for the detailed explanation though, I'll keep it in mind! =)

9. Jay

Jay Regular Member

Student
    Hey
    You could also try the Red Willow club. Its in St. Albert I dont play there i have just been there for an interclub tournament. you can check out there website http://www.redwillow.ca/
    hope this helps

10. vive.kumar

vive.kumar New Member

Professor
    Hi, you may want to try the West Edmonton Badminton Club that offers coaching at reasonable student rates. But, you have to join the club first at $150 per year. Please feel free to contact me if you are serious about getting personal coaching at vive.kumar@gmail.com

11. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

A little late? :eek:

12. vive.kumar

vive.kumar New Member

Professor
    membership not required

Yes, it is late to join the club, but you can pay $5 per visit to the club (as a visitor) and still avail coaching services from member individuals.

13. bdiddy

bdiddy New Member

The Glenora Club is the Best - Hands Down

14. vive.kumar

vive.kumar New Member

Professor
    Is it ony $1500 per year for Glenora membership ???

Hi,

Are you sure the membership fee, in total, is only $1500 (without Golf)? When i enquired last month it came to about $5000 !! Am i missing something here :confused:

Undeniably, Glenora is a topclass facility for serious badminton players.

Cheers,
    Vive