clone MPs

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by chumac, Jul 22, 2002.

1. chumac

chumac Regular Member

Sales
    Hello to all. I am from Manila, Philippines. I'm new to this forum and I would like to seek your expert opinion.

I went to the mall today to look at some Yonex MP series rackets. The price for the original MPs are as follows:
    MP55 = PhP 6,000 = USD 120
    MP77 = PhP 8,000 = USD 160

In another shop, they were selling clone MP rackets for more than half the price!
    MP55 = PhP 2,900 = USD 58
    MP77 = Php 3,500 = USD 70

Other than the significant price difference, they look exactly alike. Except that the clone rackets dont have any serial numbers on the cones beside the grip like the originals. The one selling the clones told me that they are the same as the originals. Is this true?

I would like to know now if the material (shaft, head, etc) of these rackets are the same as the original MPs. What is the main difference between the real thing and the clone in terms of performance? I am tempted to buy the clone because of the price. Should I buy the clones or not? But before I make up my mind, I want to hear what the experts here have to say.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Are you talking about clones or fakes? A fake racquet is basically passed off as the original racquet (i.e. without a close inspection, it looks exactly like the original along with the original logo).

A clone is a copy of the original marketed under a different brand (e.g. Winex, Fleet, Sotx, etc). You do know who manufacture clones but you will not know who manufacture the fakes.

It's like buying a fake Rolex watch. The workmanship and quality will not be there and more than likely, it will not perform like the original. In this case you know that you will be buying a fake and paying a lower price (than the original) for it so you can't blame anyone but yourself if the fake didn't perform to your expectations.

With a clone, you know that you are not buying the original but something that is similar to the original and the manufacturer might or might not provide warranty for their products. BTW, Winex do offer warranty on their racquets from manufacturer's defects (similar to Yonex).

3. chumac

chumac Regular Member

Sales
    Winex West Can,

Thanks for answering. Based on your definition, the racket that i am referring to is a fake since it is passed on and labelled as Yonex w/o the serial numbers. So I guess that it is not recommended that I purchase a fake Yonex MP, huh?

4. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Why don't people with the relevant information place a list in this forum of all the known clones on the market - just a list of original racquets and the clones available. This would save confusion, reduce the risk of buying a fake and save forum users a lot of money. It may even encourage Yonex to reduce their prices - or more likely they will stop making clones available.

5. qwerty

qwerty Regular Member

Re:

In which shop did you see the original MPs? the fake MPs?

6. chumac

chumac Regular Member

Sales
    I saw the original MPs @ Planet Sports (Powerplant & G4) and the fake ones @ Toby's.

7. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

It is not worth Buying fakes. It is so easy to recognise a fake anywhere in the world thanks to Yonex's Numbering whihc is fool proof.

If u want to invest 58Usd then i am sure u can buy various other brands like Victor and Rsl at the these rates rather than buy a Fake Yonex.

Best of Luck with ur racket search. Fung 2000 is a good racket.