User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default When did Yonex start using serial numbers?

Did a search and nothing came up that answered this questions. I have a number of rackets that have been given to me by my uncle, Cab 9, Cab 10, Aerotus 77, Iso Tour 800. The oldest probably early 80's, the newest one is probably from 1996. None have serial numbers. I have no question as to whether they are legit, just wondering when the serial numbers started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liint View Post
    Did a search and nothing came up that answered this questions. I have a number of rackets that have been given to me by my uncle, Cab 9, Cab 10, Aerotus 77, Iso Tour 800. The oldest probably early 80's, the newest one is probably from 1996. None have serial numbers. I have no question as to whether they are legit, just wondering when the serial numbers started.
    i believe they started using the new format starting in year 2000. correct me if i'm wrong :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was either '00 or '01. The serial numbers tell you the year after 2000 so I would presume it was one of these years that they started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danstevens View Post
    I think it was either '00 or '01. The serial numbers tell you the year after 2000 so I would presume it was one of these years that they started.
    that was why i thought it was 2000 because since only the last digit is on the date code itself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I stopped playing badminton in the mid 90's, and when I picked it up again earlier this year, the whole talk of serial #'s confused me. Since none of the rackets I had played with previously had them. Counterfeits must have started in the late 90's, early 00's to prompt the move.

Thinking about it now, isn't the single digit year that yonex is using going to cause problems once we move into 2010? 2010 and 2000 would be confused unless a racket model's run lasted less than 10 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I stopped playing badminton in the mid 90's, and when I picked it up again earlier this year, the whole talk of serial #'s confused me. Since none of the rackets I had played with previously had them. Counterfeits must have started in the late 90's, early 00's to prompt the move.

Thinking about it now, isn't the single digit year that yonex is using going to cause problems once we move into 2010? 2010 and 2000 would be confused unless a racket model's run lasted less than 10 years.
    I doubt many rackets will have a run of 10 years. The only Yonex range I can think of that has lasted that long is the Cab series. However, you have a point. I wonder if Yonex will change their serial number system in 2010. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) they do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danstevens View Post
    I doubt many rackets will have a run of 10 years. The only Yonex range I can think of that has lasted that long is the Cab series. However, you have a point. I wonder if Yonex will change their serial number system in 2010. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) they do.
    maybe they'll just add another number like for example, AABB10CJP for the year 2010 :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The counterfeits actually started getting poular starting from 2000 when Yonex started using laser engraves.