New racket again ti-10 yellow or AT700

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by type R jai, Dec 12, 2008.

1. type R jai

type R jai Regular Member

In relation to the following thread, after 2 years of trying i just cant get on with my mp99. i am sure its a great racket but its not for me. i wont sell it though ill just add it to my collection

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32554

ive given it more than enough time get use to it but its not happening:mad:

power wise its not as good as my Antique Carlton Powerflo Br.
    smashes and drives dont have the same venom:D
    net play not as good
    and i cant play with the same finese

My main game is to smash opponents into submission

ive been using the search and i am now drawn to

AT700
    ti-10 yellow
    i am open to other suggestions

technique wise i have a very strong arm. Hardly any wrist action.

2. LeeCW

LeeCW Regular Member

Engineer
    Ti 10 is another hard to adapt racket, for smashing AT700 is superb even my 9 years old boy currently using it for training. cheers!

3. Genesis

Genesis Regular Member

Student, Research
    I find that to release the Ti-10's power, you must have a strong wrist snap otherwise you'd find your smashes quite lacking. So I'd suggest you go with AT700.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Lin Dan & Sony Dwi Kuncoro are examples of top singles players who moved up from the MP-99 to a newer design with a 'similar-feel'. Lin Dan chose the Armortec-700 while Sony chose the Armortec 900P.

In short, if the MP-99 is not for you, neither the AT-700 nor the AT-900P will suit you ;)

type_R_jai, you might be better off considering a move to the AT-900T or the ArcSaber 7 / 10.

5. Cogarhen

Cogarhen Regular Member

I agree. I used to be an arm player and found MP99 a very powerless racket to use. At that time my favorit racket was AT700.
    Now I have developed some wrist-power and MP99 is my first choice because it performs better in any aspect (except slighty less pwoerful in smashes) than my AT700.
    My feeling is that head-heavy + flexble-shaft rackets are easier for arm players to generate powerful shots.

6. type R jai

firstly thank you for the replies :)

am i right to beleive that the AT700 is generally a head heavy racket with a semi stiff shaft. ive read on numerous occassions that head heavy rackets are suitable for players with a strong arm ( me )and that guys/gals with quick wrist action are suited to stiff shafts

however the comments made by oldhand concern me, I spent quite a while trawling through the forum before deciding to by the mp99 and i dont want to make the same mistake again.

can someone tell me more about the arcsaber 7 and 10, what about the At800OF. A few friends have suggested this racket.

Cogarhen are you saying the AT700 is best suited to my style of play and technique

i am sorry for the questions but i dont want to end up here again after 2 years asking for opinions on other rackets

i am very suprised that there is not much suggestion for the ti-10. ive read its a big hitter and suited to people with a strong arm !!:D

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    The Arc10 is one of my favourite rackets. It feels like nothing else and that feeling is very hard to describe. If you watch snooker, you will notice that Ronnie O'Sullivan holds the cue ball on the cue for a long time. This means he transfers more of the power of his push action in to the cue ball and doesn't need to hit as hard. The Arc10 is kind of like that; the shuttle is held on the string bed for considerably longer than all other rackets. This means it transfers a lot of power and gives you excellent control. However, not everyone likes this feeling so it's best to try it out before you buy.

I seem to remember the AT800 series had durability problems. It was soon superseded by the 900 series. The Ti-10 is excellent but not easy to use, another one to try before you buy. Yes, it is very powerful, but some people find it difficult to defend with.

To conclude, I think it would be best if you tried the rackets before you bought them; then you could make sure you liked the racket you wanted to buy. Remember, we're just going on what you've said, we don't really know your skill level and have never seen you play so giving racket advice is hard. You've given us some information that makes it easier but the best racket advice is still going out and trying them.

8. persona

persona Regular Member

banker
    Just try the rackets first before you made up your mind ! sometimes what other others use doesn't mean will be good for you !!!!!! :)

9. Cogarhen

Cogarhen Regular Member

I am not sure about other rackets, but between MP99 and AT700 I think AT700 would be much better based on my experience. But again, like others have said, it's best to try them out before you make desicison.
    BTW, I read on other threads saying that changing string or string tension can make a racket feel very different- did you ever try that with your MP99?

10. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

i think its because you really haven't adjusted to the stiffness.
    i know a kid who went crazy after he bought the MP-99, thinking it was superpowered. but he couldn't use that racket because of his weak wrist. he got a MP- 29 light, and he gained all the power back. stiffness matters.

your first racket, was it head heavy/ light? did it weigh a lot, or was it really light?
    this all plays a part.

11. type R jai

right ive taken a more thorough look at both rackets and here are my findings

both rackets are strung at 24lbs and with bg65

mp99- 3u uk model. This racket like every review confirms its extremely balance. i found the centre point to be right in the middle of the racket from both ends. i would say it was stiff but not extra stiff

Carlton powerflo BR

[​IMG]

i would say this is head heavy but i cant compare with say a AT700. the length of the ractet is about the same a the mp99 but the cente point is at least 2" towards the head of the racket. stiffness is the same if not stiffer then the mp99

as i said i seem to play better with the carlton and it would seem i need a head heavy racket.

i cant try any rackets that are recommended as i dont play in a club just with friends and family. This time i want to get a racket that is more suited to me. ( strong arm, little wrist action)

now price done really matter too much i just want the right racket

im still drawn to the

ti-10
    At700
    and now the AT800 offensive

is the At800 head heavier then the 700
    is there really relaibility issues

is the ti-10 a more head heavy racket then the AT700

im sorry for the questions but all these rackets retail far higher than the mp99 so wanna def get it right this time

danstevens. ive never heard anyone describe a badminton refering to snooker.:D lucky i understand as i play snooker to quite a good level i might add

but as with pretty much every sport and i know i said i had a strong arm, i understand that timing is the key.

12. type R jai

just an update

i got a AT700 for xmas. i also had the pleasure to try a At900T. nice racket but it felt too similar to the mp99 to me. played with AT700 today for about 2 hours and i am shocked by the power i can generate with this racket. its not just the power. net plat and delicate shots feel so much better than the balanced mp99

as i thought all along i play best with a head heavy racket. its feels like my old carlton only more head heavy. even after 2 hours it feels like ive been playing with it for ages. it took no time to adapt with. after a few shots the sweet spot ( large ) was easy to find consistantly

smashes are so powerfull now and each strike has a convincing thumping feel and a massive bang as it hit the sweet spot, the shots are very well absorbed by the racket too

for me the mp99 does not compare
    all aspects of my game are better using the At700

anyone reading this that has a strong arm and not a lot of wrist action should consider a AT700 over the MP99 if your undecided

2 years ago i got the mp99 and could not get along with it. the mp99 seems to have a cult status amonst players but it was not for me, At least i tried it

cheers guys for all that gave advice

13. LeeCW

LeeCW Regular Member

Engineer
    AT 700 is a superb power play racket but for defence need to build up the wrist power,stamina and fast action. It wear me off afer 2 set of 21points game:eek:
    Glad you like your AT700! it is a legandary racket!

14. type R jai

its a superb racket. i am quite a bit suprised how well it performed today.

best of all i had a instant connection with it. something i never did with the mp99

i am seriously considering getting another as a spare !!!

15. Maxphi5

Maxphi5 Regular Member

Student
    Hey I also got an At700 for Xmas! Even if you have good wrist action you should still go with the At700 it works wonders me me! (Wristy player)

Yeah LeeCW is right! If you don't have the stamina, fast action and wrist power it really does wear you off (I could tell when my partner was using his :D) But lucky for me, I used to use a 1U/2U racket O__O (100) So it wasn't a prob going to a lighter racket :D