Guide: How to Spot Counterfeit Yonex Rackets

Discussion in 'Identify Fake Racket (Price/Source/Serial/Photos a' started by epermana, Dec 13, 2008.

1. epermana

epermana Regular Member

I have written a guide on my ebay account on how to spot yonex counterfeits, which I updated on regular basis. It may not be complete. So, if I miss anything which could be useful in helping the community, let me know.

Direct link: http://reviews.ebay.com.au/How-to-Sp...00000007203697

Guide: How to Spot Counterfeit Yonex Rackets

Many people have fallen victim to counterfeit Yonex badminton rackets. To make sure you are not one of them, read this guide and realise that there are actually many ways to identify a counterfeit racket.

1. Observation

1.1. Price
    Many fake rackets are extremely cheap. However, what you get is a racket which is made of very cheap material. It is obvious that Yonex will not sell their rackets at such price as it will not cover even the production costs of the rackets. For example, it is not possible for Yonex to sell their latest product range, Arcsaber, at $50. Remember, what you pay is what you get. However, be aware that there are some fakes which are sold at the price of the original. For such rackets, further observation is required.

1.2. Serial Code
    There should be two serial numbers on every Yonex racket, one on the shaft and the other on the cone. The one on the shaft is the serial number which increases with every racket manufactured. The one of the cone represents when your racket is produced, in the format DDMMYXCC, with DD and MM respectively being the date and month of production. The most important information is the year of production Y. For example, if Y is 2, then the racket is produced in 2002. If you spot an Arcsaber with Y = 0, it is definitely fake since Arcsaber did not exist then. CC represents the country which it is distributed from.

Serial code should also be laser engraved and not printed. However, the fake rackets are improving in the sense that the serial codes used are so real that it may not be possible to spot any flaw through mere inspection. In such case, you can always check your serial number with Yonex representatives or with badminton enthusiasts in forums such as Badminton Central and Badminton Forum. If a racket with 7 digit 1234567 is supposed to be distributed in UK but it has distribution code (CC) CH, it is definitely fake (can be verified by Yonex representatives)

Some fake rackets have hologram stickers covering the serial number.

1.3. Additional Minor Details
    • In many instances, the carry cases supplied with counterfeit rackets are of cheap quality.
    • Carry cases should have internal thin paddings.
    • Many Yonex rackets have CSC cones (above the handle) with a slightly curvature. However, this may not be true for all models (e.g. Nanospeed Series)
    • Grommets are thicker and of higher quality
    • Authentic rackets always come with tight plastic wrap around the handle with a bar code printed on 1 side. The tight plastic wrap around fakes do not give the "wet/drench look" like the originals.
    • The orginial grips of some latest rackets (e.g. Arcsaber 10) have yonex logo pattern. Fakes have the plain red grip.
    • Compare labels around the racket with a genuine one. (I have spotted a JP racket which was perfect in every aspect but had a "Elastic Ti" label on one side of the frame. Genuine rackets with other country codes should have this label but it is not true for JP rackets.)
    2. Testing

2.1. String Tension
    If you buy the racket from a store, (pretend to) get the stringer to string 29 lbs. Genuine rackets without manufacture defect should be able to withstand string tension up to 31 without breaking upon stringing. Do not do this if you are buying over the net since they may claim that the racket broke during postage and blame you for your own decision.

2.2. Communicate with Seller
    Most of the time, fake rackets sellers use the words "Brand New" in their listings and do not dare to include the word "genuine" or "authentic" in their product descriptions, as buyers can always ask for refund as the "item is not as described". So, ask the seller regarding the authenticity of their rackets. Replies such as "What you see is what you get" or an evasive "This is made in Japan" should serve as a big red warning sign.

2.3. Weight
    If you have been in the field long enough, you should be able to know how genuine rackets feel with just a few swings and hits. In most cases, a counterfeit racket is lighter than the genuine version of the same model.

3. Miscellaneous

3.1. Distribution Codes
    Some distribution codes are more likely to be a victim of counterfeit products due to bigger market. Some of such distribution codes are TH, CH, and SP. The Australian code, AS, is definitely safe although who knows counterfeit rackets will adopt "safer" codes in the future to avoid detection.

3.2. Warranty
    Many Yonex rackets come with warranty. For example, AS coded rackets are covered by Yonex Australia warranty for 12 months. If your racket does not come with a warranty, it is time to do a racket "background check".

Ultimately, the most obvious feature of a counterfeit racket is its price tag. Always remember, what you pay is what you get. If you want to get cheaper rackets, you may want to settle for other brands, which would have much better quality than counterfeit Yonex rackets of the same price.

2. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

great post!

maybe this should be moved to the equipment sub forum and made a sticky?

3. Karakalkat

Karakalkat Regular Member

Distributor for Karakal
    There are also some other ways such as the screw under the grip wrap will not be used on a fake...The O on Yonex is different on a fake and I forget what is different about it...I think it was that the inside of the O is square and the other is round but I forget...I am sure someone remembers this so please help out...

4. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

Actually, this isn't such a great post. think about all the fakers reading this....
    its like a guide to how to make sure your rackets seem even more realistic. :eek:

5. epermana

epermana Regular Member

Haha maybe, maybe not.

Even then, the racket cover used by fakes are still as poor as ever. Another example is the grip and its plastic wrap. To reproduce the grip of Arc 10 with Yonex pattern on it is not easy. Plastic wrap on the fakes are also very different from the originals. Of course, all these are still achievable and there is a chance that those I have identified as orginals are fakes :eek: Nevertheless, at least we can reduce the number of people buying fakes.

6. Karakalkat

Karakalkat Regular Member

Distributor for Karakal
    Fakes

Living in Vietnam we get all the best FAKES here....some are quite nicely done....but all of them are made in China by large and small factories alike....They are not interested in making a fake that is undetectable....They produce these rackets in mass mostly for the beginner players and not to deceive anyone....The ones who want to deceive us are the buyers of these rackets who then put them up for sale on ebay etc...also these guys can order from a China factory any model they want made for them to their own specifications...all they have to do is order enough of each model...:(

7. tony531

tony531 Regular Member

price is not an issue, i get my rackets for much cheaper than normal, but i will not expose where and who i get them from.

and yes, they are 100% genuine

8. epermana

epermana Regular Member

I beg to differ. No matter what, price for originals > fakes, be it wholesale or retail.

Anyway, price is only one of the features you should look out for and in many cases, it is a determining factor. Such argument is endless.

Until Yonex rep. says one particular racket is original, it takes alot (probably infinite) to prove its authenticity, but one flaw to disprove. i.e. Rackets which satisfy the aforementioned requirements can still be fake, although unlikely.

9. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Great guide. Definitely deserves a sticky but perhaps some photos of tell-tale fake signs could also be posted (ie: printed serial code, dodgy plastic wrapping on the handle etc).

#9 Danstevens, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  10. epermana

epermana Regular Member

Is there anyway to edit the post?

11. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    only can be edited within 15 minutes after posting.

this will be a good thread to enlighten yonex buyers. some photos to identify fake codes or serial will be added advantage.

ebay is where you can shop but cant hand check it. seller still can send you the fake racket even they posted the original. the money is in seller's hand, is it easy to get it back??
    greed is the main culprit........;)

12. shuttlehead

shuttlehead Regular Member

retired
    Fake Yonex Racquets

A big time counterfeit ebay seller from Australia sold some very realistic fakes. Their laser etched serial #'s were better than my authentic US versions.

My fake nano 9000 Jp was easily identified by a Yonex representative by checking the following;
    fake case (different liner material, different vinyl material faded graphics)
    fake grip (very different yonex printing)
    fake string (yonex BG 65 printing was blurred and difficult to read)
    grommets wrong size
    gold oval halogram (had the green and purple reflection but no multiple Yonex
    in small print)
    color (the paint and graphics are a shade or two different, printing slightly
    blurred and slightly misplaced)

The fake dealers insist that they are selling real Yonex rackets but a check of the rackets where I play indicates otherwise. About 90% of the yonex racquets are fake. Most are Nanospeed 8000 and 9000's, Armortec's, and Muscle Power 99 and 100's, purchased 2-4 yrs ago on ebay. All are SP and CH versions and the original buyers paid $40-$90 for a fake that cost less than a dollar to manufacture. I sometimes buy fake yonex racquets for $5-$10. I think they are better than steel racquets for first time players.

The bottom line is not to expect to buy a real $200 yonex for $50. This is a lot less than the retailer pays for the racquet.

13. epermana

epermana Regular Member

Nice find. The plastic wrap, original grip, and the bag are the usual give away as mentioned before. I just realised something new. Many new stocks now have the racket specifications laser engraved on the cone. Of course, there are still many stores which are selling old stock, so this method may not be applicable.

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    It's definitely not a maybe. Fakes are fake because they look almost the same as the real thing, except for what is in the racquet itself like their material and handling characteristics. Looks can always be improved with information from threads like this and factories that have improving manufacturing capacity to churn out fakes at a low cost. The majority of the price for authentic racquets comes from R&D and the expensive material they supposed to comprise, not to mention markups from retail and the brand name. So for those who want a Yonex racquet at an unrealistic pricing, you get what you deserved.

Best is to buy from recognised Yonex retailers. It's not a sure thing as there were cases of careless retailers accepting 'returns' of their products not knowing it's an exchange for fakes. Even banks occasionally gives out fake notes or coins. So if you really want an authentic Yonex racquet, save up to buy at the appropriate price and try to bargain with the dealer to lower the price. Otherwise, buy clones or other brands so that you're supporting legitimate businesses.

Keep posting threads like these in open forum is like giving counterfeiters new ideas on improving their 'products'. Pointless discussion that helps nobody. Fakes keep popping up because there will also be support for them regardless of the buyers' knowledge or awareness that they're buying a fake.

15. epermana

epermana Regular Member

Don't think these manufacturers even bother to copy every single detail.

Anyway, if such discussion doesn't help you, that's fine but I wouldn't say it is useless as I have people asking me the same question from time to time.

16. shuttlehead

shuttlehead Regular Member

retired
    Fake Racquet Discussion

I believe that discussion of the manufacture and sales of counterfeit rackets is helpful to badminton and the badminton industry.
    First, nearly all the players I meet do not realize they are playing with a counterfeit racket. Some thought that the quality of the racket was poor but without a genuine racket to compare it to they remained ignorant. Those players are not going to pay 5 or 6 times as much money for a genuine yonex when they think a pricey yonex is no better than an entry level Wilson, BK.Dunlop, etc.

Buying a fake yonex racquet made in a government run factory in China exploits the neo-slave workers in that country while removing livable wage jobs from workers in the original factories. And those are the factories that should remain so the product quality remains high.

17. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

ok, this doesn't make sense. you WANT to support fake manufacturers?
    When they exploit workers? when they produce low quality products designed to fool customers? That take away profits and hurt the true industry and the customers themselves?

Plus, if the players dont want to play with a true yonex, thats ok. let them choose what brand. but to not let it past them that they are using fakes. tell them, and try to get them to use other products, instead of helping the fakes.

excuse me if i am being rude, but maybe it is possible that you and me don't see eye to eye on this.

#17 jymbalaya, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    This topic has been discussed ad nausum, that's fine if you have something new to add but why create a new thread when you could contribute to the existing ones. You're just giving the mods more work because eventually they'll merge it into another thread or block it.

Jymbalaya, I agree. Most buyers of counterfeits know what they're getting. They just don't want to pay the full price for the quality the brand brings. And they want to be like their peers who bought real Yonex racquets, why pay full price for the look when you can pay a fraction of it for the same look? Real victims are those who mistakenly bought a counterfeit at FULL price and the retailers whose businesses have been taken away by cheap immitation products.

Epermana, I appreciate your need to contribute to the forum in a meaningful but not necessarily the most constructive way. You may think counterfeiters won't copy down all the details, but as someone had mentioned before, fake Yonex are sporting laser etched serial numbers. They may not copy everything but they're constantly improving and are darn close to looking like the real deal. Their goal is to undersell the legitimate business by targeting the customer base and make profits from margins they get from poor quality control and inferior material. Your insightful thread might not receive full attention from them but it is made available to them anyways.

#18 cappy75, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  19. Retro_10s

Retro_10s Regular Member

Just to point out, fakes are becoming increasingly better at pretending to be the real thing, at least off the court,..... I have an SP coded AT900P, correct Yonex hologram, genuine strings, engraved serial code.

How to tell it's fake?... the shaft is so flexible it's unreal, the AT900P shaft is rated as 'stiff',... oh and the shaft broke free from the handle in training,... 4th hit. :D

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    How to tell if it is a real YONEX?

So many threads have tried to warn BCers about YONEX fakes. The truth will only come from your 'trusted' seller/retailer.

Here, the seller could be from a shop, from ebay, from a friend, etc... and he/she/they can only tell us if the racket come from YONEX itself or not.

IMHO, if the racket is not coming from an official YONEX distributor, the seller will never be able to tell if the racket is genuine or not.

:):):)